AFL 2024

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL 2024

Postby Spargo » Mon May 27, 2024 9:26 pm

tigerpie wrote:
MW wrote:But if the umps have identified that this is a tactic by Collingwood in close games to gain an advantage against the rules, why wouldnt they crack down on it?

It's not the umpires job to beat Collingwood!!!!!
It's their job to umpire objectively and with no bias.
They are failing on both counts and limelighters like Nichols are ruining the rep of the good guys who just umpire the game.
Get the basic rules right before trying to influence game outcomes.

I’m about to PM you my address, pls send me some of the shit you’re on.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5572 times
Been liked: 5189 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby tigerpie » Mon May 27, 2024 10:44 pm

Did anyone see the footage when Steele didn't pick up the ball just stepped over it at a ball up?
The look on Nichols face said it all.
I was right, wanker umpire alert. Should be dropped for a week for umpiring on emotion.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 512 times
Been liked: 437 times

Postby Sharksta » Mon May 27, 2024 11:49 pm

MW wrote:But if the umps have identified that this is a tactic by Collingwood in close games to gain an advantage against the rules, why wouldnt they crack down on it?
I wish they’d stop the collingwood tactic in the last 5 minutes of the game where the ruck drops the ball to his feet and the Collingwood players jump in it and tackle each other causing stoppage after stoppage. Shocking to watch as a spectator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby Booney » Tue May 28, 2024 8:55 am

Good spray aimed the the AFL by Ken Hinkley on AFL360 last night.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7536 times
Been liked: 10851 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue May 28, 2024 10:22 am

Booney wrote:Good spray aimed the the AFL by Ken Hinkley on AFL360 last night.
https://youtu.be/1sSCoehgEz4?si=xdFdsEliyppWUocT
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10428 times
Been liked: 1544 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Tue May 28, 2024 3:29 pm

tigerpie wrote:Did anyone see the footage when Steele didn't pick up the ball just stepped over it at a ball up?
The look on Nichols face said it all.
I was right, wanker umpire alert. Should be dropped for a week for umpiring on emotion.

I distinctly remember it when it happened. Nichols said "Thanks Steele .... Steele" with an expectation Steele Sidebottom would return the ball to him. Sidebottom chose to leave the ball on the ground which clearly annoyed Nichols. From the immediate ball up there was another stoppage and a Freo player made an effort to pick the ball up and give it to Nichols. I'm sure this played a part in the Freo free kick .... they are human after all. Rather than direct your anger at the umpire maybe send some to Sidebottom. How hard is it to give the ball back to the umpire?
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 534 times

Postby wenchbarwer » Tue May 28, 2024 3:40 pm

I dunno, it's not about manners, what Sidebottom did was gamesmanship. Allows his players a bit longer to reset, if he hands it back straight away, the ump immediately throws it up
wenchbarwer
Under 18s

Has liked: 373 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed May 29, 2024 8:58 am

So AFL are changing HTB interpretations mid season, unheard of to do such massive change during a season. Steve McBurney making his presence felt straight away. Common sense decision though as it has never been this bad, will be interesting to watch at Adelaide Oval on Thursday night!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Booney » Wed May 29, 2024 9:01 am

Eagles2014 wrote:So AFL are changing HTB interpretations mid season, unheard of to do such massive change during a season. Steve McBurney making his presence felt straight away. Common sense decision though as it has never been this bad, will be interesting to watch at Adelaide Oval on Thursday night!

So Thursday night they over correct, Friday night they right the ship, on the weekend they find the happy medium. Three sets of rules in coming this weekend.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7536 times
Been liked: 10851 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 29, 2024 9:19 am

wenchbarwer wrote:I dunno, it's not about manners, what Sidebottom did was gamesmanship. Allows his players a bit longer to reset, if he hands it back straight away, the ump immediately throws it up

No, the ump then asks for ruck nominations.
It would be nice if they did just throw it up immediately
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11985 times
Been liked: 3659 times

Postby MW » Wed May 29, 2024 9:20 am

Booney wrote:
Eagles2014 wrote:So AFL are changing HTB interpretations mid season, unheard of to do such massive change during a season. Steve McBurney making his presence felt straight away. Common sense decision though as it has never been this bad, will be interesting to watch at Adelaide Oval on Thursday night!

So Thursday night they over correct, Friday night they right the ship, on the weekend they find the happy medium. Three sets of rules in coming this weekend.

JHF will get pinged half a dozen times HTB on Thursday
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2648 times
Been liked: 1871 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed May 29, 2024 10:41 am

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:

JHF will get pinged half a dozen times HTB on Thursday

So will Cripps and Walsh though going by the examples they have showed from last week, lots of players will be in trouble.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed May 29, 2024 11:06 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
wenchbarwer wrote:I dunno, it's not about manners, what Sidebottom did was gamesmanship. Allows his players a bit longer to reset, if he hands it back straight away, the ump immediately throws it up

Ruck nominations is the one that I will never understand, it was brought in due to 3rd man up, however surely you just penalise the team that has more than one ruck in the contest?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2351 times
Been liked: 3628 times

Postby am Bays » Wed May 29, 2024 11:16 am

Dutchy wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

Ruck nominations is the one that I will never understand, it was brought in due to 3rd man up, however surely you just penalise the team that has more than one ruck in the contest?

it's more about the metre apart rule to minimise/reduce wrestling at the around the ground dead ball situations
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1841 times

Postby dedja » Wed May 29, 2024 11:28 am

Dutchy wrote:… Ruck nominations is the one that I will never understand, it was brought in due to 3rd man up, however surely you just penalise the team that has more than one ruck in the contest?

Amen brother.

AFL is bordering on unwatchable for me now. The constant non-sensical rule changes which for me are eroding the fabric of the game … it’s death by a thousand cuts.

As many have commented, the goal reviews this year are just pure comedy … it’s amateur hour.

Yes, some things have to move on, but I’m a rusted on old bastard, I loved the 70’s and 80’s, not the bastardised American version that the AFL has inflicted on us over the last few years. The ultimate kick in the nuts is that the AFL has turned the name of a competition into the sport … AFL is not the faarking substitute name for Australian Rules, but their marketing team will bred this fact out of society.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 236 times
Been liked: 1053 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed May 29, 2024 12:16 pm

Dutchy wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:

But wouldn't 3rd man up help clear the congestion?
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11985 times
Been liked: 3659 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed May 29, 2024 1:28 pm

absolutely no doubt in my mind the goal reviews are advertisement $$ based. The arc with the crypto advertisement would be raking in the $$. There would be a contract for x amount of reviews

Once you have had prior opportunity if you dont kick or handball immediately its holding the ball, simple.

I think one thing the AFL could do to help out the umpires alot is penalise any player who doesnt dispose of the ball correctly with a handball or kick. So if the ball is forced out by the tackle its HTB, its a good tackle, it removes the so called difference between dropping the ball and tackle forced it out. In rugby the players dont have any trouble hanging onto the ball.

The examples the AFL gave will only cause more confusion and they are setting the umpires up to fail, There was bugger all difference between whats ok and whats not
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2437 times
Been liked: 1671 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed May 29, 2024 1:35 pm

For the last two years, the football nuffyverse has only talked about one thing. We aren't talking about brilliant play or fantastic matches...all we speak of these days is umpiring. On the field, behind the sticks and on the line...the umpiring has never been poorer. The four umpire system has been a massive failure in my eyes and one we are stick with when you consider the administration of the game is being run by people who would sooner jump a six foot high coil of barbed wire with no jocks on rather admit they might be wrong.

Years ago I was taught that if you didn't notice the umpire then he was doing a good job. Are they doing a good job now? No, there are too many of the ****. Umpires from sixty metres away overruling umpires on the spot is bullshit. Umpires making technical decisions to justify their inclusion is bullshit. They are like cops with a quota system. **** IT OFF.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1705 times
Been liked: 1823 times

Postby Spargo » Wed May 29, 2024 1:46 pm

This all started way back when they were given no’s on their backs and thus given an identity…
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5572 times
Been liked: 5189 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby am Bays » Wed May 29, 2024 1:50 pm

Spargo wrote:This all started way back when they were given no’s on their backs and thus given an identity…

8)
Attachments
Umpire_Article.jpg
Umpire_Article.jpg (47.61 KiB) Viewed 294 times
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1841 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL