Geelong 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Geelong 2015

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:26 am

Booney wrote:
stan wrote:Fair turn over of players. Kelly, Johnson, River, Macintosh, Stokes and maybe Enright.

Yes and no. MacIntosh and Stokes have offered nothing and Rivers has been a bit player at best.

Kelly and Johnson are the only two, IMO, who a year more would be one too many. Enright and Mackie should go on, Bartel might make up his own mind and pull the pin.

Rivers was more than serviceable during his time at Geelong and was clearly best 22 when fit but the old adage if when it ends it ends quickly is true for him. MCIntosh was a dud selection but it's always easier after the event. Blease was recruited for speed I can't think of why else we would get him, depth player at best.

Young Hartman leaving hurts but his head wasn't in the right space. Kelly is clearly cooked and the injuries were starting to occur a bit more frequently. Stokes is done and he's had a very poor year. I think Bartel might be done as well. It hurts watching him play at the moment. Pre-season he looked a million dollars but then he copped two injuries that pretty much wrecked his season. Enright is dependable rather than Brilliant as he once was.

The big mistake for me is Johnson. Having him in the forward line could have netted us 30-40 goals next season but stupid reports, a poor pre-season due to injury and some ridiculous on field brain farts have stamped his papers.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:28 am

JK wrote:Most people within the industry seem to believe that Stevie J could be an absolute wiz in the coaches box. Should he move into a coaching role when his playing days are done, you would think it would be in his and Geelong's best interests, for him to commence away from Kadinia Park. So to that extent, he should probably work a deal with a new club that allows him to play for 1 or 2 seasons, then slip into an assistant coaching role for a couple of years. And I reckon thats exactly what will happen.

I'd be pretty pissed if I was Stevie J, they got him aside about 8 weeks ago and told him their expectations, in my opinion his form improved dramatically over this time.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:29 am

MW wrote:
helicopterking wrote:If Johnson goes on, he should stay at Geelong, needs to go on the lowest possible contract and play at the feet of Hawkins all next season. I got no doubt,barring injury he would kick 35-45 goals as a small forward. Play a similar role to what Gia played at the dogs.

spot on. I'm not sure why a lot of clubs are flipping their 30+ players now.

Because we have about nine of them.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:29 am

So do Hawthorn!
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2598 times
Been liked: 1844 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:31 am

helicopterking wrote:If Johnson goes on, he should stay at Geelong, needs to go on the lowest possible contract and play at the feet of Hawkins all next season. I got no doubt,barring injury he would kick 35-45 goals as a small forward. Play a similar role to what Gia played at the dogs.

Aren't small forwards supposed to be quick, and they chase, tackle and apply defensive pressure in the forward line? He is not a small forward, he is 189cm, 95 kgs and getting slower by the year.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:35 am

Booney wrote:If Johnson signs at another club for two years it will be a bigger mistake than Chapman going to Essendon.I understand these blokes want to get as much as they can out of themselves, but after a few flags, champion playing career, why tarnish peoples memories with a token year or two where you play 15-18 games?

Johnson looked frustrated at the start of this year, couldn't bend down, fumbled and it was probably a sign of a poor injury interrupted preseason, but is he really capable of lifting to another level with the rest of the competition next year? Every year the game gets faster, more demanding, when you're the other side of 30 I'm sure keeping up is hard enough, let alone getting faster again.

I reckon you might have partially answered your own question. Johnson had an injury interrupted pre-season and that stuffs your year even if you are in your prime. Johnson was stiff, old and unfit fir the first half of the season but in recent weeks he has shown he's still got the chops. If were to play for a top eight side as a forward I reckon he could kick 30 goals provided he has a good pre-season.

I think Johnson, like Chapman genuinely loves footy and want to play as much of it as they can and aren't particularly concerned about external perceptions of their career.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:37 am

MW wrote:So do Hawthorn!

I think the Hawks will face similar issues to us over the next two seasons.

Regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Feenix » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:49 am

I find it strange there has been no official announcement from the Cats about Stevie J like they did for Kelly and Stokes. I still think Stevie has something to offer the cats, sit him in the pocket for the year and then transition him into a coaching role to work with all the new talent we’re going to have bring up.
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:53 am

Feenix wrote:I find it strange there has been no official announcement from the Cats about Stevie J like they did for Kelly and Stokes. I still think Stevie has something to offer the cats, sit him in the pocket for the year and then transition him into a coaching role to work with all the new talent we’re going to have bring up.

There's the thing, if you think in modern footy you can "sit someone in the pocket" you haven't been watching Breust, Betts, Wingard, Walters etc very closely.

There's no room for a bloke to sit "in the pocket" anymore.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Feenix » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:03 pm

Booney wrote:
Feenix wrote:I find it strange there has been no official announcement from the Cats about Stevie J like they did for Kelly and Stokes. I still think Stevie has something to offer the cats, sit him in the pocket for the year and then transition him into a coaching role to work with all the new talent we’re going to have bring up.

There's the thing, if you think in modern footy you can "sit someone in the pocket" you haven't been watching Breust, Betts, Wingard, Walters etc very closely.

There's no room for a bloke to sit "in the pocket" anymore.

You’re taking things too literal, you sit Hawkins at full forward, that doesn’t mean he sits in the goal square, he works up the ground when he needs to. What I meant was use him in the forward line only and not in the midfield.
Feenix
Reserves

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:06 pm

My point exactly, all the top "small" ( and Johnson isn't small ) forwards have minutes in the midfield to give the midfield rotations extra depth. If you're a mid-sized forward you too need to go through the middle and/or be the one applying the defensive forward role.

Unfortunately for Johnson the sub-rule change might come too late to save him. If it was changed this week, ie no more sub and 4 on the bench, he might go around again.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:14 pm

There is no reason why he couldn't play like Lecras played up until this season. Your 3rd/4th forward, awkward match up, and he doesn't go past half way.
His natural football smarts and goal sense will net him goals. Geelong have enough blokes like Cockatoo, Gregson and Co to provide speed.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Feenix » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:31 pm

Booney wrote:My point exactly, all the top "small" ( and Johnson isn't small ) forwards have minutes in the midfield to give the midfield rotations extra depth. If you're a mid-sized forward you too need to go through the middle and/or be the one applying the defensive forward role.

Unfortunately for Johnson the sub-rule change might come too late to save him. If it was changed this week, ie no more sub and 4 on the bench, he might go around again.

So if he leaves the Cats you don’t think another club would pick him up?
Feenix
Reserves

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:32 pm

Feenix wrote:
Booney wrote:My point exactly, all the top "small" ( and Johnson isn't small ) forwards have minutes in the midfield to give the midfield rotations extra depth. If you're a mid-sized forward you too need to go through the middle and/or be the one applying the defensive forward role.

I'm not sure, to be honest. I doubt any club would offer him two years, agree?

So if anything a club may give him a one year gig with some sort of coaching after.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Feenix » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:37 pm

Booney wrote:
Feenix wrote:

So if anything a club may give him a one year gig with some sort of coaching after.

I wouldnt like the Cats to sign for longer than a year so I would agree that another club wouldnt like that idea.

A 1 year deal with the option to extend or coach would be ideal. To be honest I think Stevie would take whatevers put in front of him
Feenix
Reserves

Postby Spangas » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:04 pm

Booney wrote:
Feenix wrote: So if he leaves the Cats you don’t think another club would pick him up?

You watch Brisbane throw the kitchen sink at him.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby Bum Crack » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:47 am

Stevie J announces his retirement.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:54 am

Bum Crack wrote:Stevie J announces his retirement.

Well......not sure I'd call it a "retirement"

“Playing with Geelong, enjoying the success we have and to have done it alongside so many great team mates and friends over the past 14 years has been a dream come true,” Johnson said.

“I have loved being at this club and want to thank all of my team mates, coaches and staff that have made my time here so much fun. I will miss the people more than anything but know that the club is heading in the right direction and will be hoping they enjoy great success in the future.

“The supporters have always been behind me, even in difficult times, and I want to say thanks to them as well.

“Many people will be asking what I’m doing next year. Once I’ve finished this weekend, I’ll be looking at the options available to me within the AFL industry.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby saintal » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:59 am

Bum Crack wrote:Stevie J announces his retirement.

Hard bloke to warm too, but the record speaks for itself.

Used to enjoy his battles with Stevie Baker.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:01 pm

He will look at a J Pod contract

Play another season before coaching
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11838 times
Been liked: 3597 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL