Movie review - Shutter Island

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Movie review - Shutter Island

Postby Hondo » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:24 pm

The preamble to this post is that I am trying to get better discussion of movies on this forum. No disrespect to the "good" and "bad" movies threads but both are now very long and I find it a disincentive to post up about a movie in case it was already raised 10 pages earlier. So I thought we could try out starting threads devoted to a single movie. We could give our reviews and opinions. So I'll start one for Shutter Island and we can see if the idea takes off. I think we can assume that people have seen the movie without necessarially giving away all the spoilers just in case.

Shutter Island
I was late in catching this film. I only saw it a few weeks ago. Set in the 1950s, Leonardo DiCaprio plays a US Marshall sent to investigate an escape from a new mental health facility on a remote island. The facilty is trialling new, humanistic methods for patients with extreme mental health issues sometimes with violent very histories.

I really bought into the characters and the film. So much so that right up to the last scene I was hoping DiCaprio's character wasn't actually insane. Ben Kingsley was very good in his role keeping it uncertain as to whether he was for good or evil. Unlike so many lesser movies with twist endings I think if I watched it again (as director Scorcese recommends people do) the movie would still hold together. In fact, it would almost be like watching a new movie. Thinking back there were many signs deliberately left by Scoresese to alert us as to what was actually going on.

I give it 4.5/5 :)
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Re: Movie review - Shutter Island

Postby JK » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:03 pm

Good write up mate, I can't disagree with either your assessment or comments .. Leonardo, Kingsley, Ruffalo, Williams and all others seemed to play their roles to their usual high standards.

For mine Scorcese, who was in real Hitchcock mode, was the biggest star.

Hadnt gotten around to seeing it for quite a long time after it's release (earlier this year when I got to see it IIRC), but I found it thoroughly enjoyable and a top watch.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4470 times
Been liked: 3017 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Iron Fist » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:51 pm

I agree with that.
I had no real idea what was happening in regards to dicaprio till the very end.

I personally didnt like the movie that much and probably wouldnt watch it again. That simply comes down to personal preferernce though.
If you are into movies that have twists then you will definately enjoy it
get on board the thunder train!!!
Iron Fist
Veteran

Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Portland

Postby The Dark Knight » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:26 pm

I watched this today and loved it.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10728 times
Been liked: 1561 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dogwatcher » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:06 pm

Absolutely hated it.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment