2020 2nd Semi Final

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2020 2nd Semi Final

Postby Magellan » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:04 pm

Mr Fuller wrote: Despite the gloom from eagles supporters and expectations from the wider footy community I actually don’t think we will bow out in straight sets and will go onto beat South.

Fair enough for Eagles fans to be very disappointed about yesterday's performance, but most importantly they have the double chance and an opportunity to atone. If they have any sense of pride, and I am quite sure that they do, as well as being a quality side on paper, then they can definitely beat South next week.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby ChickCock » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:51 pm

Cocks are great =P~
ChickCock
Under 16s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Moonta

Postby Mic » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:03 pm

Very pleasantly surprised by the result.

I think the Eagles will bounce back against South. Finishing top 2 in this year's finals series means you 'just' have to win 2 games to win a premiership, so not all doom & gloom for WWT.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 144 times

Postby wedgetail » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:44 pm

Beaten badly in the 50/50 contests= North better intensity.
Mansell off in first minute meant we had no one with the pace to go with North's smalls.
Too many passengers today a familiar theme in recent finals.
Missed a fit Lonergan's body strength in the midfield contests.
Lowson must come in next week.
Time to make a stand otherwise finals are a waste of time for us.
Luck is where opportunity meets preparation
wedgetail
Under 18s

Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby mal » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:55 pm

This is for the non North Adelaide /Woodville West Torrens barracker who recently had a bit of an infatuation with that number ...19

Lewis Hender kicked Norths 3rd goal of the match in the first quarter
Scores were
WT 0-1
NA 3-1

So
Lewis Henders jumper number is 19
NA moved to 3-1 = 19
It was goal number 19 for the season for Lewis Hender
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1138 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby Aerie » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:41 pm

One of the reasons I was critical of the Eagles big men, and I think the turning point in the game, was the ball up just forward of centre during play in the 2nd quarter. The Eagles has just kicked 5 behinds in a row and a North tackle had forced a ball up on North’s side of the centre square. I don’t know who was in ruck at the time, but the Eagles had no one go up, they were disorganised and North cleared and kicked an easy goal against the run of play.

This is an example of why the Eagles have failed in finals time after time. Is it laziness? Lack of concentration? It shouldn’t happen and can’t happen. There were numerous examples of sluggish play. Seymour walking to the back pocket at each kick in another example. Von Bertouch hasn’t got out of 2nd gear for 2 months. The Hayes brothers try hard, but try harder and keep your feet at all times. It is extraordinary effort that wins premierships. It’s bloody hard because the team you come up against is just as hungry and just as good. So unless the Eagles can collectively find another gear and individually do everything they can for their team mates, it will be another wasted gear.

I think they can turn it around, as they have in previous premierships in 2006 and 2011. It will take extraordinary effort though, against a proven North Adelaide and foremost, a hungry, talented and in form South Adelaide.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:15 pm

Aerie wrote:One of the reasons I was critical of the Eagles big men, and I think the turning point in the game, was the ball up just forward of centre during play in the 2nd quarter. The Eagles has just kicked 5 behinds in a row and a North tackle had forced a ball up on North’s side of the centre square. I don’t know who was in ruck at the time, but the Eagles had no one go up, they were disorganised and North cleared and kicked an easy goal against the run of play.

This is an example of why the Eagles have failed in finals time after time. Is it laziness? Lack of concentration? It shouldn’t happen and can’t happen. There were numerous examples of sluggish play. Seymour walking to the back pocket at each kick in another example. Von Bertouch hasn’t got out of 2nd gear for 2 months. The Hayes brothers try hard, but try harder and keep your feet at all times. It is extraordinary effort that wins premierships. It’s bloody hard because the team you come up against is just as hungry and just as good. So unless the Eagles can collectively find another gear and individually do everything they can for their team mates, it will be another wasted gear.

I think they can turn it around, as they have in previous premierships in 2006 and 2011. It will take extraordinary effort though, against a proven North Adelaide and foremost, a hungry, talented and in form South Adelaide.

I agree Aerie. I recall an example near the arc of the forward 50 where Toumpas could have made a bold play and left his man and spoiled as the ball was coming in. He didn't and played it safe sticking to his own man and allowing North and easy mark and forward entry. It only takes a couple of players to show a lack of intensity and it spreads quickly around the team.

I too think they will turn it around. But history over the past 20 years has been that when their backs are to the wall they come out and surprise with a huge effort.........and get themselves into a GF. They then bring a pitiful effort and we become another laughing stock.

Part of the reason is that we have had so much success getting to the finals over the past 20 years that players just expect that will happen year after year - they therefore don't fight like crazy due the attitude 'that's ok - we will be in the finals next year and have another go'. Well ask the Panther's players if its guaranteed they will be in the finals next year. No, they will be fighting like crazy. If we don't come out breathing fire we will get wiped.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL