R14 Centrals v Eagles Saturday 1410

All discussions to do with the SANFL

R14 Centrals v Eagles Saturday 1410

Postby DOC » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:48 pm

Centrals off a narrow loss and the Eagles easily accounted for West.

Expect the Eagles not to let up here.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Re: R14 Centrals v Eagles Saturday 1410

Postby southernbulldog » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:50 pm

Huge ask for us against clearly the best team in the competition they will be to good .I hope we go out with a nothing to lose attitude take the game on and hopefully make the Eagles earn the win .Hopefully we have a good crowd at the game to send off Kyle Jenner & Trent Goodrem both have been exceptional clubmen and great role models for the side both scrupulously fair and a credit to themselves for terrific careers
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Groucho » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:03 pm

Unfortunately Eagles by 5 goals
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby whybother » Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:13 am

Over the years I have seen many "funny" results from last games of the season where the outcome doesn't mean anything on the table. I think that it just depends on the mental attitude of the players on the day. Apart from the keep-the-form-going idea, the Eagles don't have anything to gain from the game, and have a lot to lose if (say) Hayes #12 gets injured. There may be an incentive to over-play to Rowe to get as many goals as he can for the Ken Farmer medal, or it could be just business as usual.
whybother
Under 16s

Has liked: 108 times
Been liked: 97 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:27 pm

I'd be very surprised if the Eagles let this one slip, being so close to finals. That said, the 'Dogs won't be a pushover with pride and retirements to play for, and as whybother says, stranger things have happened in dead rubber matches.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby goddy11 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:42 pm

Magellan wrote:I'd be very surprised if the Eagles let this one slip, being so close to finals. That said, the 'Dogs won't be a pushover with pride and retirements to play for, and as whybother says, stranger things have happened in dead rubber matches.

I think you will find going back over the years the minor premier has lost the last game going into final. Just makes sure there are no injuries. I think a bet on the dogs will be a good thing,
goddy11
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 559 times
Been liked: 211 times
Grassroots Team: Myponga-Sellicks

Postby DOC » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:40 am

CENTRAL

Central District will bid farewell to a pair of retiring premiership greats against the Eagles at X Convenience Oval.

Former captain Trent Goodrem and vice-captain Kyle Jenner will play their final games in the red, blue and white after spending more than a decade at Elizabeth.

The Dogs will be aiming to continue their impressive late-season form by maintaining a settled line-up, with only one change required at selection.

Former Redleg Darcy Pisani returns to be named at half-forward in place of the injured Sam Milne (thigh).

F: Olsson, Stephenson, Hoskin

HF: D. Pisani, Jenner, O’Brien

C: Barreau, J. Schiller, Nason

HB: Weaver, Montgomerie, Habel

B: Haydon, Fort, Goodrem

R: Marsh, J. Kelly, T. Schiller

INT: Boyd, Butcher, Mclean, Toner

IN: D. Pisani

OUT: Milne (thigh)

Reserves
Brown, Burton, Cannizzaro, Carnelly, Dahms, Dew, East, Falkenberg, J. Furnell, Gillard, Graham, Grubb, Hanna, Kennedy, Lange, Madden, O’Gorman, Patterson, F. Pisani, Presbury, Rigney, Robinson, Ryan, Shaw, Smit, Thomson, Thompson

Under-18
Balkwill, Borlace, Carreno, Deakin, De Jonge, Falland, Fiebiger, Fraser, Gilchrist, Hahn, Kotsano, E. Lane, T. Linke, McDonald, Mondello, Mudge, Ratcliff, Reed, Ross, Ryan, Thorp, Tidswell, Tuck, Whitelum, Wilson

EAGLES

Woodville-West Torrens has opted not to risk a star pair in its final minor round match against Central at X Convenience Oval.

Key forward Jack Hayes and exciting defender Lachie Jones both slightly tweaked their ankles against West on Friday night but are expected to be fit for the Second Semi-Final.

Midfielder Jimmy Toumpas heads a list of high-profile inclusions, together with forward Jake Von Bertouch.

Jake Comitogianni, Tristan Carcuro and Jake Westbrook have all been added to the seven-man extended interchange bench.

F: Rowe, N. Hayes, Poole

HF: Lowson, Von Bertouch, Foote

C: Toumpas, McNeil, Pudney

HB: Jungfer, Giuffreda, Wehr

B: Rowland, Thompson, Seymour

R: Redden, Sinor, Tsitas

INT: Comitogianni, Lee, Hall, Carcuro, West, Westbrook, Firns

IN: Carcuro, Comitogianni, Toumpas, Von Bertouch, Westbrook

OUT: J. Hayes (ankle), Jones (ankle)

Reserves
Weidemann, Haylock, Moore, Sharrad, Beecken, Coff, Schmusch, Mead, Brill, Bruce, Morgan, McPherson, Michael, Armfield, McLeod, Asfaha, Hoile, McNeilly, Barnett, Jackson, Pearce, Peake

Under-18
F: Schofield, J. Hunter-Price, Scott
HF: Godden, Smith, Wheare
C: Kasianowicz, Poulter, Launer
HB: Redden, Dawkins, Thomson
B: Buck, Williams, Mitzithras

R: Phillips, Litster, Burgoyne
INT: Adams, Fry, Kennedy, Neumann, O’Reilly, Sheldon
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby StrayDog » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:02 pm

Groucho wrote:Unfortunately Eagles by 5 goals

Looks about right.

Our blokes will give it everything for Alfie and Trent, and it's hard to know how WWT will approach their last game before a Second Semi if not as a relatively bruise free hit-out.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby whufc » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:43 pm

U Dogs!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby am Bays » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:51 pm

Told you mob Centrals are on the right track.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby spell_check » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:02 pm

Good effort by the Dogs - unlike last night, a side who wanted the win for a decent send-off for two of their stars, and got it.

History on two counts, the first time a side has defeated the Eagles with a set shot after the siren (it went just after Arnott kicked the ball in 2002 @ Woodville).

The second is that we have a tie for the Ken Farmer for the first time. Haydon wore Rowe like a glove, and McBean got a couple of last qtr goals to level.

A loss after the siren is disappointing. I'd rather that, however, than won by 14 points but had Tsitas being carried off with a knee injury in the 1st, Redden play most of the game with a broken bone and Sinor also sidelined for the finals.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Reddeer » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:24 pm

Tsitas being carried off with a knee injury in the 1st, Redden play most of the game with a broken bone and Sinor also sidelined for the finals.

Just what I didn't want. Bad injuries for the finals As usual the Eagle dip out on luck
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Mr Fuller » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:26 pm

Reddeer wrote:Tsitas being carried off with a knee injury in the 1st, Redden play most of the game with a broken bone and Sinor also sidelined for the finals.

Just what I didn't want. Bad injuries for the finals As usual the Eagle dip out on luck

That didn't happen..........
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby spell_check » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:28 pm

Reddeer wrote:Tsitas being carried off with a knee injury in the 1st, Redden play most of the game with a broken bone and Sinor also sidelined for the finals.

You can breathe a sigh of relief, if you read it again, you'll see what I mean.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby bulldogproud » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:33 pm

A great way of seeing off two of the greatest clubmen to have represented Central since the 2000's commenced. Thank you, Goody and Alfie for the great memories. Enjoy a well-earned retirement.
The Eagles may have played somewhat in 'cruise-control' mode today but I will still enjoy this win, as all Central supporters should.
Why does the season have to end now? - we are just beginning to hit peak form ;).
Still, encouraging signs from a number of young players... if we can hold onto them for next year!
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Mr Fuller » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:40 pm

Very entertaining game to watch and played in good spirit between both teams.

Whilst the dogs played well I think they got every little bit out of their players to get the win whereas I think we just left a little in the tank and always thought we'd get the goal we needed.

Eagles probably only had a couple of players who played well across the four quarters - Tsitas, Toumpas, Thompson - but had a number of players who only had a good first or last half. Hall's arm/shoulder injury looks serious and I wouldn't expect him to front for the remainder of 2020. This probably opens the door slightly for Pudney to retain his spot although probably needed to firmly grab it today. With Jones and Hayes certanties to come back for the first week of the finals the omissions from today's team will be Westbrook (definitely), West (likely, though was serviceable today). If Goldsworthy is fit he will come in for either Pudney or Jungfer. I wouldn't expect Lonergan to overcome his injury until possibly the GF (if we make it) and even then I wouldn't risk putting him in the team because he will be underdone and is to risky to play.

Centrals supporters should be looking forward to next year. With some close losses arguably one of the form sides over the last four weeks or so. Some excellent players you can see have made some huge steps as the season has gone on and with your reserves doing it comfortably over us today as well to secure top spot you are well placed for next year.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Groucho » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:50 pm

You Effing Beauty. To quote Shane Crawford "that's what I'm talking about." Very enjoyable win, well done Dogs. That's the way to send Goodie and Alfie into retirement. :lol: :D

Thank f**k this horrible season is over. Zero interest in SANFL now, don't care who wins GF, won't be watching any finals.
Not looking forward to next year either , it can take as long as possible to come around as far as I'm concerned.
Groucho
Under 18s

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 160 times

Postby northerner » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:41 pm

Groucho wrote:You Effing Beauty. To quote Shane Crawford "that's what I'm talking about." Very enjoyable win, well done Dogs. That's the way to send Goodie and Alfie into retirement. :lol: :D

Thank f**k this horrible season is over. Zero interest in SANFL now, don't care who wins GF, won't be watching any finals.
Not looking forward to next year either , it can take as long as possible to come around as far as I'm concerned.

The Ladder leading ressies say hi...
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby northerner » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Full kudos to Jade Sheedy who came into the rooms to make a speech honouring Alfie and Goodie

Murray Stephenson also leaving, taking on coaching role in Wagga.

Youngsters such as Jackson Kelly, Toner, Olsson and OBrien leave us with plenty of hope next season (AFL call ups not withstanding)
northerner
Reserves

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 429 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby southernbulldog » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:51 pm

Without knowing him of course i get the feeling he is a class act and he has done a great job with the Eagles.The only downside for the day was the nasty injury to the young Eagles indigenous lad sorry dont know his name,It didnt look good hope he makes a full recovery and gets back to playing next season .
southernbulldog
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL