Round 12 Norwood v Sturt Friday 1940

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 12 Norwood v Sturt Friday 1940

Postby spell_check » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:10 pm

SimonH wrote:Where's spelly when you need him? Mercifully, he's right here!

While we've got you spelly, speaking of reserves records:
1. Has any team ever picked up the wooden spoon in the league, while winning the reserves flag? Now unlikely, but Centrals are going close. Their reserves team is all-conquering—it can only work at league level if West somehow snatch a win (Norwood being their best target) at the tail end of the year. That's one very even squad that Centrals have got.
2. Norwood now looking very likely to go from 2019 reserves premiers, to 2020 reserves wooden spooners. Happened before?

Thanks!

1) 1912 - North, 1941 - Torrens, 1949 - Sturt
2) 1989/90 - Central, 2018/19 - North
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby SimonH » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:30 pm

spell_check wrote:

1. Has any team ever picked up the wooden spoon in the league, while winning the reserves flag? Now unlikely, but Centrals are going close. Their reserves team is all-conquering—it can only work at league level if West somehow snatch a win (Norwood being their best target) at the tail end of the year. That's one very even squad that Centrals have got.
2. Norwood now looking very likely to go from 2019 reserves premiers, to 2020 reserves wooden spooners. Happened before?

Thanks!

Legend as always spelly. So there was a SANFL reserves comp going back to at least 1912? That's impressive.

The bold entry will learn me for not paying attention in 2018/19. So what you're saying, now it's probably gunna happen twice in a row, is that I wanna find a bookie who will give me handsome odds that the 2020 SANFL reserves premier, will finish bottom in 2021. That's an obscure market, but potentially a very lucrative one.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby spell_check » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:56 pm

SimonH wrote:
spell_check wrote:

Thanks!

Legend as always spelly. So there was a SANFL reserves comp going back to at least 1912? That's impressive.

The bold entry will learn me for not paying attention in 2018/19. So what you're saying, now it's probably gunna happen twice in a row, is that I wanna find a bookie who will give me handsome odds that the 2020 SANFL reserves premier, will finish bottom in 2021. That's an obscure market, but potentially a very lucrative one.

I have Reserve records (or B grade as it was known then) going back to 1911, because this was when it was solely comprised of the 7 clubs. There was a competition back before that, but results are also harder to come by. I only have 4 matches missing from 1911.

I didn't realise this potential double either, and even though I was there myself last year to see Norwood win (and us to claim another 2nd out of something), I didn't make the connection that Norwood will in all likelihood go from first to last until the weekend.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL