Preliminary Final

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Preliminary Final

Postby marbles » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:13 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:
marbles wrote:Total bs decision

Hey lets chuck another man out there who cares we'll only get a fine and lose a game next year!

Whether they meant it or not they cheated 1 extra man makes them more potent and they were able to have 3 shots on goal in 4 minutes

North players will sit in the grand final changerooms knowing they shouldnt be there.

Try playing a basketball game with 6 men on court against 5

Still though, the captain didn't notify the umpire. It's in the rule book and has been for a while. No matter what every one's opinions are. The rule states that the captain or acting captain must approach the on-field umpire and request a head count. North got away with it on a technicality. We can talk about all this nonsense of what is fair and what is not. But in reality the Eagles should never have put themselves in the position to lose the game after being 47 points up with North not looking at even getting close. The Eagles gave up and North were the best side in the end. The 8 points they scored in those dreadful 8 minutes i believe weren't the 1 factor for why the Eagles lost. It may look to those as they cheated and it was un-fair. But the Eagles knew of this quite early and yet still took their time to get the message out to the captain. So lets move on with this and let it go.

The court has ruled the roosters as guilty

The scores or status of the game is irrelevant

You cheated but here your free to play in grand final you won the game fair and square.... but they actually didnt win the game fair and square.

Whether the 19th man got a touch or not, an eagles player wouldve manned him up meaning someone else got the footy and the eagles didnt have a 19th man to attend to him did they
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby mal » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:15 am

Booney wrote:
mal wrote:0.20 seconds into the last quarter

Comment by John Casey on C7 telecast
" Loose ball, Eagles with numbers now."

Casey is rubbish.

10-13 CASEY
10-5 ESSENDON 2

Disagree Booney, Casey were BEHIND Essendon 2 at 3/4 time and got up and won
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1149 times
Been liked: 903 times

Postby mots02 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:16 am

mal wrote:0.20 seconds into the last quarter

Comment by John Casey on C7 telecast
" Loose ball, Eagles with numbers now."

True, just not as many numbers as the Roosters ;)
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 876 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:16 am

Magellan wrote:Also interesting to note is that if you take the view that Allmond was the extra player (presumably because he came off to even up the numbers), then he didn't touch the ball whilst he was on the ground for the start of the last quarter, and only laid one tackle in the first minute.
Was talking to my brother about this last night and he said they were thinking that Tropiano became the extra man after it was thought he was down in the changerooms getting medical treatment after being hurt/concussed by Lewis in a tackle earlier in the game?
North people might know more?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10325 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Magellan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:20 am

RB wrote:
Magellan wrote:Also interesting to note is that if you take the view that Allmond was the extra player (presumably because he came off to even up the numbers), then he didn't touch the ball whilst he was on the ground for the start of the last quarter, and only laid one tackle in the first minute.

That's irrelevant. He enabled another North player to touch the ball, influence the game etc. At any rate, there were probably several North players who didn't touch the ball in that period and several who had a lot of the ball and one who even kicked a goal. Would it have made a difference if they'd taken the goalscorer off?

It doesn't matter which player came off; it matters that they had 19. Clearly there's a significant advantage in having an extra man.

I tend to agree, just making a point re: those had claimed Allmond was the extra player.

I'm not sure anyone can exactly say who the extra player was under the circumstances, and I think this would've made it very difficult for the Eagles to articulate before the tribunal exactly what the advantage the extra player provided. For example, if a player snuck on at the 10 minute mark for the rest of game and had 15 touches and kicked four goals in a close game, then you can easily quantify the contribution and make a pretty clear cut case that the game's been influenced. The tribunal could not definitively conclude that the extra player had influenced the game, despite having watched the vision multiple times - the highest he could express it is that there was a 'possibility.' So, at face value it makes sense to say 'clearly there's a significant advantage in having an extra man,' but on the facts in this case it wasn't that clear.

I understand the Eagles are unsatisfied with this, but this kind of hair-splitting is ultimately what happens when you go seek 'justice' via the tribunal/quasi-legal route. It seems this time the Eagles were on the wrong side of it.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:22 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
Was talking to my brother about this last night and he said they were thinking that Tropiano became the extra man after it was thought he was down in the changerooms getting medical treatment after being hurt/concussed by Lewis in a tackle earlier in the game?

That's how it was all unearthed.

Michael Maney from ABC was speaking to an SANFL official at 3/4 time who told him Tropeano was out of the game, injured.

20 or 30 seconds in the last 1/4 Maney notices Tropeano cruising through the centre of the field.

#19thman
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby mots02 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:23 am

The Dark Knight wrote:

Not a good look for the North bench if true. Player with suspected concussion and no one knows where he is?!
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 876 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:23 am

Magellan wrote:
RB wrote:

That's irrelevant. He enabled another North player to touch the ball, influence the game etc. At any rate, there were probably several North players who didn't touch the ball in that period and several who had a lot of the ball and one who even kicked a goal. Would it have made a difference if they'd taken the goalscorer off?

It doesn't matter which player came off; it matters that they had 19. Clearly there's a significant advantage in having an extra man.

I tend to agree, just making a point re: those had claimed Allmond was the extra player.

I'm not sure anyone can exactly say who the extra player was under the circumstances, and I think this would've made it very difficult for the Eagles to articulate before the tribunal exactly what the advantage the extra player provided. For example, if a player snuck on at the 10 minute mark for the rest of game and had 15 touches and kicked four goals in a close game, then you can easily quantify the contribution and make a pretty clear cut case that the game's been influenced. The tribunal could not definitively conclude that the extra player had influenced the game, despite having watched the vision multiple times - the highest he could express it is that there was a 'possibility.' So, at face value it makes sense to say 'clearly there's a significant advantage in having an extra man,' but on the facts in this case it wasn't that clear.

I understand the Eagles are unsatisfied with this, but this kind of hair-splitting is ultimately what happens when you go seek 'justice' via the tribunal/quasi-legal route. It seems this time the Eagles were on the wrong side of it.

As I note on the previous page it was more the momentum that North had in the 3rd quarter was aided by the extra number early in the last, not so much the actual impact any individual had because for all intents and purposes every North player was the 19th man.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:35 am

I don't get why everyone is saying the captain calling for the count is an antiquated rule. There are more eyes on the game and easier to get a message out these days to him. A field umpire isn't going to listen to a runner pestering him.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby JK » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:40 am

After “that” period of time in which North kicked 1.2, WWT followed up with 1.3 of their own getting out to a 20 point lead. North’s next goal came 7 minutes after “that” period of time. As a neutral I thought North were the better side on the day. That’s from a purely football sense, and in that context I think the right result has stood. I know there’s a lot of what ifs, but they always have a potential positive and negative side to them and we just do know how it would have panned out otherwise.

From a rules and legal sense, I don’t know what answer should have delivered.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:42 am

That's right, the Eagles regained momentum for a few minutes and Boyd hit the post with an easyish shot, and think they missed two hardish shots. slot one and would have made it 4+ goals lead and a little air out of the balloon
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Half Back Flanker » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:43 am

The Dark Knight wrote:

That is correct.......Tropiano didn't read the board and went straight back on after 3 quarter time.
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”
Half Back Flanker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 429 times
Been liked: 167 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:47 am

IMO it came down to intent, if they SANFL found that North had intent to play a 19th man the result last night would have been much different.

While we all suspect the 19th man influenced the result, the judge had no proof that he actually did this and without this could not change the result.

Im wondering what was stopping the SANFL replaying the game and pushing the GF back a week? Would have created more interest and attention to the SANFL for a further week and most seem to think this was the favored result. Adelaide Oval confirmed that the oval was available. Maybe the AFL overlords.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby RB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:48 am

Booney wrote:for all intents and purposes every North player was the 19th man.

Precisely.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:54 am

My North guernseys have 18 on them, might put a "+1" on them. :lol:

19 now joins 119 as one of my favourite numbers. ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:56 am

Good luck to north. Hope they win on the weekend. Eagles carrying on like pork chops.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3023 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:58 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Good luck to north. Hope they win on the weekend. Eagles carrying on like pork chops.

You might recognise some of the flags in the crosd this coming Sunday, one of the Swans cheersquad is coming over for the game and bringing his massive flags to wave.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2039 times
Been liked: 3880 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:01 am

Does every player in the SANFL have a GPS device on them? If so could they be live monitored by the 4th umpire or some alarm go off when there are more than 18 inside the white line? If we have the technology these days use it!
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby David Brent » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:05 am

Dutchy wrote:IMO it came down to intent, if they SANFL found that North had intent to play a 19th man the result last night would have been much different.

While we all suspect the 19th man influenced the result, the judge had no proof that he actually did this and without this could not change the result.

Im wondering what was stopping the SANFL replaying the game and pushing the GF back a week? Would have created more interest and attention to the SANFL for a further week and most seem to think this was the favored result. Adelaide Oval confirmed that the oval was available. Maybe the AFL overlords.

Perhaps Adelaide Oval is unavailable the long weekend? I'd suggest plans have been made to put the drop in pitches in etc knowing this is the last week footy will be using the oval for either AFL or SANFL
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:11 am

AO confirmed it was available
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext