2016 SANFL Crowds

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2016 SANFL Crowds

Postby Magellan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:03 pm

johntheclaret wrote:****, I can't believe what I've just read.
"Crowds aren't only one way to measure success" what a joke.
"TV audiences are healthy", well whoopdedoo, that'll put bread on the table will it, when the SANFL actually pays to be broadcast. And thank **** 55,000 are using the app. That'll bring in a shed load of revenue for each club.

The league is truly lost.
As long as there are idiots like this spruiking this kind of bullshit the SANFL is truly lost.
Reading this shite makes me sadder than England losing to Iceland.

Well said, JTC. Except the bit about Iceland. ;)

Kelly reckons scoring is up 10%. Maybe it is, and statistically speaking its better than if scores were down. But 10% means that in a game last season where a total of 20 goals/120 points were scored, this year the same game would generate an extra 12 points. You could interpret this as both sides are scoring one more goal a game than last year.

Doesn't sound like much in real terms, and hardly demonstrative of 'attractive viewing.' If this is the criterion upon which the rule changes are judged then their inclusion has not been a success (although I think we know the real reason why those rules were imposed in the first place).
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:09 pm

spell_check wrote:It will end up being like the Sheffield Shield

The SANFL is like a Sheffield Shield comp that admitted an Indian A and a New Zealand A team.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:37 pm

spell_check wrote:
Dutchy wrote:I think TV and App usage is up due to crowds being down, don't they see that dedicated supporters of the past have now turned to passive supporters who get their info from these sources instead of being at the game?

It will end up being like the Sheffield Shield

It wouldn't surprise me if that is part of their business plan for the SANFL, go away from crowds and make it accessible online. With the AAMI sale giving clubs debt relief they can restructure their businesses without bums on seats.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2328 times
Been liked: 3520 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:
spell_check wrote:
Dutchy wrote:I think TV and App usage is up due to crowds being down, don't they see that dedicated supporters of the past have now turned to passive supporters who get their info from these sources instead of being at the game?

It wouldn't surprise me if that is part of their business plan for the SANFL, go away from crowds and make it accessible online. With the AAMI sale giving clubs debt relief they can restructure their businesses without bums on seats.

If that is the plan might as well program matches on a Tuesday night......
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Panther Pack » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:26 pm

It's becoming more obvious the SANFL just don't get it based on Adam Kelly's comments.

Ok so TV and online are both up but how does that generate any money for the clubs.

The SANFL has dropped the ball on advertising & promotion of the league big time.

They need to go back to $10 tickets and advertise to families the cost difference between AFL & SANFL, also as has already been mentioned get rid of all these byes, I'm ok if the season has to start later or finish earlier in the year if it means no more byes.

For example during round 13 of the AFL there were no AFL games in Adelaide this would have been the perfect weekend to have all 10 teams playing and make that round Rivalry Round and really promote it to the hilt.

But instead we got the Wet Lettuce treatment from the SANFL who didn't even give a whimper.

LIFT YOUR GAME SANFL start promoting the league properly!!!!!
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby DoublebluTiger » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:29 pm

Success is in trying
DoublebluTiger
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 50 times

Postby JK » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:04 pm

Dutchy wrote:
spell_check wrote:

A high-ranking club official pretty much told me thats exactly what he was after, around 10 years ago.

BTW how long til the land money reaches the SANFL clubs? Next years $150k per club probably just comes from the $$ that's been forked over to channel 7.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:50 pm

Wedgie wrote:Crowds at AFL games at Adelaide Oval have dropped by 5% in the last two seasons too, seems to be no winners ATM.

Adelaide crowds for the A-League and Big Bash have been up this year!

Also big bash and all A-Leagues clubs bar one (Melbourne Victory) were up on the previous season as well

A general feel from my friendship group is they are becoming disenchanted with Aussie Rules in general
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5595 times
Been liked: 2533 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:02 pm

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Crowds at AFL games at Adelaide Oval have dropped by 5% in the last two seasons too, seems to be no winners ATM.

Adelaide crowds for the A-League and Big Bash have been up this year!

Also big bash and all A-Leagues clubs bar one (Melbourne Victory) were up on the previous season as well

A general feel from my friendship group is they are becoming disenchanted with Aussie Rules in general

A League crowds averaged 13479 in 13/14, 13048 in 14/15 and 12706 in 15/16.
They averaged 15,348 in 07/08.
BBL is the only thing close to the AFL. I'd hardly compare the A League, they get half of what the BBL does.
Even Super Rugby usually gets bigger crowds than the A League with a lot more competition!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2051 times
Been liked: 3897 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:05 pm

Big Bash will remain popular, it's entertainment first, sport second......and then way, way down >>>>> is cricket itself.

A League will prosper from time to time, then eat itself alive again....then a world cup will come along and it'll grow some more....then consume itself in a flurry of flares and **** wits.

The SANFL offers little as far as the "entertainment" that the Big Bash does, it's not going to draw people from the A League and it's not going to pull people away from the AFL.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7501 times
Been liked: 10791 times

Postby RB » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:00 pm

Magellan wrote:
"TV audiences are healthy", well whoopdedoo, that'll put bread on the table will it, when the SANFL actually pays to be broadcast. And thank **** 55,000 are using the app. That'll bring in a shed load of revenue for each club.

As long as there are idiots like this spruiking this kind of bullshit the SANFL is truly lost.

Kelly reckons scoring is up 10%. Maybe it is, and statistically speaking its better than if scores were down. But 10% means that in a game last season where a total of 20 goals/120 points were scored, this year the same game would generate an extra 12 points. You could interpret this as both sides are scoring one more goal a game than last year.

Doesn't sound like much in real terms, and hardly demonstrative of 'attractive viewing.' If this is the criterion upon which the rule changes are judged then their inclusion has not been a success (although I think we know the real reason why those rules were imposed in the first place).

I would expect that 10% to be cancelled out over the next month or so given the likely wet weather.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:35 am

yep, from going every week, to now just a passing interest. I saw the most SANFL last week in the past 2 years when I saw just under a half of the west v Glenelg match, only because there was nothing else really on tv...
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11859 times
Been liked: 3604 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:39 am

and just cos scoring is up, any chance, that is just due to changing game plans that evolve and go around in a cycle from high scoring to ultra zoned defence??
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11859 times
Been liked: 3604 times

Postby rocketeer » Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:07 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:and just cos scoring is up, any chance, that is just due to changing game plans that evolve and go around in a cycle from high scoring to ultra zoned defence??

I doubt it's a coincidence that this has happened at the same time that Norwood has fallen way down the ladder.
rocketeer
Rookie

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby rubbers0ul » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:28 pm

Magellan wrote:

\

scoring up 100% since Andy Collins left
rubbers0ul
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Reddeer » Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:47 pm

Who the hell is this Adam Kelly. If he is the SANFL general manager he is being paid WAY TO MUCH
Has he been living on Mars or is he just not with it.
The SANFL is going down the tube due to clowns like him and the rest of the fools ruining (not running) the show
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Dog_ger2 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:06 pm

Everyone lost interest when 2 AFL reserves teams entered our SANFL.

And the SANFL doesn't care because of Free to Air revenue.

Attendances are down 16% on 2015.

I turned my back when this happened.

Give your opinion.
Dog_ger2
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Postby RB » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:15 pm

Dog_ger2 wrote:Everyone lost interest when 2 AFL reserves teams entered our SANFL.

And the SANFL doesn't care because of Free to Air revenue.

Attendances are down 16% on 2015.

I turned my back when this happened.

Give your opinion.

Revenue would be one way of putting it...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby shoe boy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:50 pm

With state country champs in Pt Lincoln this weekend and no local grass roots footy we should see bumper crowds ?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:43 pm

shoe boy wrote:With state country champs in Pt Lincoln this weekend and no local grass roots footy we should see bumper crowds ?

Plenty of grass roots footy on in Adelaide
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL