Pure SANFL 2016 draw

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Pure SANFL 2016 draw

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:28 am

I have always followed the crows first and foremost, but have always kept a keen eye on the Centrals results too.

As I have said elsewhere, I have felt seriously conflicted about the SANFL now. Both the Crows and Centrals were my teams since I was 5 years old, but it felt weird when I went and watched the game between the clubs. I wanted to go for Centrals, but I knew only a few players, compared to almost all of the Crows players. In the past, I used to also keep an eye on the other SANFL games, mostly to see how the young crows listed players were going, but it was at least some form of engagement in the SANFL. Nowadays that has reduced to keeping an eye on both the crows and centrals, but not giving a jot about the other teams.

The biggest drawback of the whole thing is that a young kid will likely only bother following an AFL team now, instead of two teams.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:38 am

bennymacca wrote:I have always followed the crows first and foremost, but have always kept a keen eye on the Centrals results too.

As I have said elsewhere, I have felt seriously conflicted about the SANFL now. Both the Crows and Centrals were my teams since I was 5 years old, but it felt weird when I went and watched the game between the clubs. I wanted to go for Centrals, but I knew only a few players, compared to almost all of the Crows players. In the past, I used to also keep an eye on the other SANFL games, mostly to see how the young crows listed players were going, but it was at least some form of engagement in the SANFL. Nowadays that has reduced to keeping an eye on both the crows and centrals, but not giving a jot about the other teams.

The biggest drawback of the whole thing is that a young kid will likely only bother following an AFL team now, instead of two teams.

Agree 100% great post.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5603 times
Been liked: 2535 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:03 pm

Magellan wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:
Magellan wrote:
RM wrote:Yes I follow the crows in the afl but rarely watch them and never go the their games as I'm north 100%

The Crows are one club with two teams that participate in the AFL and the SANFL competitions. But make no mistake, it's the one club. Players from the SANFL side one week can (and do) play in the AFL side the next, and vice versa.

In essence, you are supporting two sides in the same comp at once, and to that end, you are conflicted. So when you attend a North-Crows SANFL match, are you saying that you barrack against the Crows?

I most certainly barrack for the Panthers over the Crows, hope we belt the crap out of them. I'll go to the SANFL if both my sides (Crows A's) were playing at the same time too....

I understand wcp, and each to their own. But here’s the thing I don’t get about supporting the Crows and an SANFL side at the same time.

By saying one of your sides is the Crows A's is, IMO, artificially separating the A's from the B's. These teams both represent the one club, and comprise players on the one roster. As footy fans, we support a club, an organisation that represents something, not a particular team from within a club.

You barrack for South Adelaide. Presumably you support the club across all its league, reserves, and junior teams? It would be very unusual for someone to support South's league side, but refuse to carry this allegiance to their reserves side because they also had support (for whatever reason) for Glenelg, for example. However, this is what happens when people say they support the ‘Crows A’s.’

A bit like religion, I don't get it, but everyone's entitled to their own take on it.

South's other grades don't go and play in a different comp though either. I hate having the Crows in the SANFL, and by doing what I do, is the only choice I have...
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby therisingblues » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:10 pm

Magellan wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:
Magellan wrote:
RM wrote:Yes I follow the crows in the afl but rarely watch them and never go the their games as I'm north 100%

The Crows are one club with two teams that participate in the AFL and the SANFL competitions. But make no mistake, it's the one club. Players from the SANFL side one week can (and do) play in the AFL side the next, and vice versa.

In essence, you are supporting two sides in the same comp at once, and to that end, you are conflicted. So when you attend a North-Crows SANFL match, are you saying that you barrack against the Crows?

I most certainly barrack for the Panthers over the Crows, hope we belt the crap out of them. I'll go to the SANFL if both my sides (Crows A's) were playing at the same time too....

I understand wcp, and each to their own. But here’s the thing I don’t get about supporting the Crows and an SANFL side at the same time.

By saying one of your sides is the Crows A's is, IMO, artificially separating the A's from the B's. These teams both represent the one club, and comprise players on the one roster. As footy fans, we support a club, an organisation that represents something, not a particular team from within a club.

You barrack for South Adelaide. Presumably you support the club across all its league, reserves, and junior teams? It would be very unusual for someone to support South's league side, but refuse to carry this allegiance to their reserves side because they also had support (for whatever reason) for Glenelg, for example. However, this is what happens when people say they support the ‘Crows A’s.’

A bit like religion, I don't get it, but everyone's entitled to their own take on it.

I think this situation only exists because the Crows reserves are still new. A previous allegiance existed for all of us before a couple of clubs from a stronger league decided to use the SANFL as a parking lot for their seconds. In years to come, youngsters will not make the same decision we made because the Crows /Power seconds are already there. There will be no team of prior allegiance.
If some of you older buggers are feeling conflicted even through following your SANFL side your whole life, you can bet your bottom dollar that those not born yet are going to bypass that problem.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Magellan » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:40 pm

bennymacca wrote:The biggest drawback of the whole thing is that a young kid will likely only bother following an AFL team now, instead of two teams.

Very likely. And this is the silver bullet that will ultimately euthanase the SANFL.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby RM » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:43 am

Magellan wrote:

Yes that is correct. As I said if you over looked it I'm North 100%

I don't care about the crows in the sanfl and have medium care in the afl
RM
Under 16s

Location: Near Grand North, The Northern Tavern and Prospect Oval. All belong to the Mighty NAFC.
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Lincoln South

Postby Magellan » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:13 pm

RM wrote:
Magellan wrote:

Yes that is correct. As I said if you over looked it I'm North 100%

I don't care about the crows in the sanfl and have medium care in the afl

Yep, I read you loud and clear RM. My point is that if you're 100% North then IMHO I don't know how you can have any care for the Crows, because these two clubs now compete against one another.

Anyway, as I said earlier, each to their own.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:02 am

Different folk have different perceptions Madge.
I'm like you when it comes to Aussie Rules. Only has been and only ever will be North. I couldn't give a rats shit for the AFL or any club playing in it. To me the AFL has degraded Australia's national sport by its inception and its creation of artificial plastic teams. I Can only think of the Americans who create plastic teams to at in plastic leagues.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Magellan » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:00 pm

johntheclaret wrote:Different folk have different perceptions Madge.

Yep, different strokes for different folks. Everyone's entitled to barrack for a team for whatever reason they like.

But by saying you support [insert sovereign SANFL club here] and the Crows is no different to saying you support your SANFL club and another SANFL club. "I support South Adelaide and Norwood" (for example) sounds odd to me - as a footy fan I was brought up to support a team (singular) through thick and thin. No-one who was serious about footy had two sides. You would've been laughed out of the pub thirty years ago if that's was your position. And perhaps that's where the difference lies.

If people want to maintain allegiances to two clubs that play in the same comp, so be it - ultimately I guess it's better than none.
Magellan
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL