SANFL crowd numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Postby Panther Pack » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:48 am

South still have a lot of work to do regarding crowds.

Years / decades of poor seasons have really hurt the club in terms of supporters and was surprised at first 2 home games how low home crowd support was given last years finals campaign.

Reckon the club could do worse than give out 2 for 1 tickets to all the local clubs in SFL and GSFL and hope it generates more interest in the club.
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 143 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:28 pm

The problem South have is they do not have a lot to draw from .
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:32 pm

South have more to draw from now than they have previously especially with all the housing development that has happened and is continuing to do so
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11874 times
Been liked: 3609 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:36 pm

South had a lot more supporters at Prospect than the Crows did.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2055 times
Been liked: 3903 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:46 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:The problem South have is they do not have a lot to draw from .

True, there isn't many people living South of Hallett Cove or West of Happy Valley to the beach.... :shock:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7506 times
Been liked: 10800 times

Postby robranisgod » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:44 pm

Wedgie wrote:South had a lot more supporters at Prospect than the Crows did.

I counted 5 times as many South supporters as I did Crows supporters at the first game, but then again 50 vs 10 are still not great numbers
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 231 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby rocketeer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:44 pm

Wedgie wrote:
saintal wrote:Any figures from the weekend?

5.5K I believe at AO, and 2k at the Bay.

Glenelg 2131
Adelaide Oval 5526
Elizabeth 2062
Prospect 2223
Unley 2968

Scary part about it is I know heaps who went who wouldnt normally because of Anzac Day!

I think the Friday night crowds reflect what I always thought about last year's crowds, there was great weather for almost every weekend of the first half of the season and this inflated the figures that you'd get in a normal weather year with a mix of good and bad days for the footy.
rocketeer
Rookie

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:46 pm

I meant existing supporter base . I know the population but that doesn't mean they are going to support a team.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:04 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:I meant existing supporter base . I know the population but that doesn't mean they are going to support a team.

So they do have a lot to draw from then?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7506 times
Been liked: 10800 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:16 pm

South have had a small supporter base for decades , so no they don't .
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby HoldenV8 » Sat May 09, 2015 2:23 pm

Living down south as I do (Morphett Vale since 2001), I can tell you that the Panthers run a distant.....distant third for fan support behind the Crows and Power. And of the people I know personally, pretty much all couldn't give a rats backside about the SANFL. To them its AFL or nothing. South Adelaide do try and get out into the community (though its not much believe me), but basically people down here don't really care.

Unfortunately that is how it is going these days. Especially with the Adelaide media who seem to think that when it comes to sport, unless its the AFL its not worth reporting. I mean, just about the only time the SANFL gets any time in sports reports on the news is if it has something to do with, surprise surprise, the Crows or Power. Oh, I guess the Grand Final would rate a mention.....

I remember back when it was KG and Cornes that the 5AA Sports Show actually had more than just the AFL. These days it should be called the 5AA AFL Show because that all they ever want to talk about. Mid-January to November its virtually nothing but AFL when it comes to 5AA (that's what happens when the program director and on air presenters are ex-AFL players). At least there are other stations such as 5RPH who still cover the SANFL

Note: Confused Crows and Power fans may know the SANFL as the 'State League'.
"21 goals 16 to 16 goals 12 and West Adelaide have won it" - Ch.7's Robert Oatey as Westies won the 1983 SANFL premiership
HoldenV8
Mini-League

Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Gepps Cross

Postby therisingblues » Sat May 09, 2015 4:35 pm

HoldenV8 wrote:Living down south as I do (Morphett Vale since 2001), I can tell you that the Panthers run a distant.....distant third for fan support behind the Crows and Power. And of the people I know personally, pretty much all couldn't give a rats backside about the SANFL. To them its AFL or nothing. South Adelaide do try and get out into the community (though its not much believe me), but basically people down here don't really care.

Unfortunately that is how it is going these days. Especially with the Adelaide media who seem to think that when it comes to sport, unless its the AFL its not worth reporting. I mean, just about the only time the SANFL gets any time in sports reports on the news is if it has something to do with, surprise surprise, the Crows or Power. Oh, I guess the Grand Final would rate a mention.....

I remember back when it was KG and Cornes that the 5AA Sports Show actually had more than just the AFL. These days it should be called the 5AA AFL Show because that all they ever want to talk about. Mid-January to November its virtually nothing but AFL when it comes to 5AA (that's what happens when the program director and on air presenters are ex-AFL players). At least there are other stations such as 5RPH who still cover the SANFL

Note: Confused Crows and Power fans may know the SANFL as the 'State League'.

Yep, South didn't get enough success before the Crows and Power were born. Sturt didn't have much either, fortunately for us though, there were enough supporters from an earlier era who bring their kids along and so continue the tradition somewhat. Probably 70% of the young crowd who attend our matches do so because their parents are taking them or did take them. I'm currently introducing my young lad to the Unley oval experience and he likes it pretty well. Anyway, hard to see South getting a crowd with the AFL sides crowding them out of the spotlight down South.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL