Salary cap needs to be raised ?

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Salary cap needs to be raised ?

Postby Agile » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:01 pm

All Clubs are faced with the same problem I suspect. That is loosing second teir players to amaters clubs who can pay big bucks . Is the answer to raise the salary cap?
It,s a Great Great Club, and the Club we Love, We,re the good Old Red and White
The Mighty Roosters we,re called , All for One and One for All
Agile
Rookie

Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Broadview

Re: Re: Salary cap needs to be raised ?

Postby heater31 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Agile wrote:All Clubs are faced with the same problem I suspect. That is loosing second teir players to amaters clubs who can pay big bucks . Is the answer to raise the salary cap?

Over the AFL's dead body will the cap be raised.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Re: Salary cap needs to be raised ?

Postby darley16 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:08 pm

You're so right heater31! Either the cap increased or the SANFL get serious about capping the ammo's and country clubs re salaries and endorsements. Agree this needs to addressed to stop the leaking of very capable SANFL players leaving the comp for lesser leagues that require less effort for substantially more money.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby HOORAY PUNT » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:13 pm

Of course it should be raised to retain and attract players and it also needs to be managed so clubs dont over committ. It's actually in the best interests of the AFL to raise it as it potentially produces more AFL players .

Having said that , I am not sure what the AFL's role is in our salary cap either way.
HOORAY PUNT

Postby am Bays » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:26 pm

I can't be ar5ed looking for it but 2 years ago on here I said the SANFL and the VFL/WAFL clubs for that matter, should all have salary caps 10% of what an AFL club is (currently ours is less than 3%) and the AFL should part fund it.

That way the kids trying to make it to the AFL are partly properly recompensed for their hours of dedication to the dream that is spun their way by the AFL and for those that just miss out or are coming back out of the AFL have can follow their career path for a period of time that they have dedicated 5-10 years of the best of their lives to.

I'm struggling to think of any other profession where the elite are so over paid compared to the masses.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby holden78 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Why raise it , when we have the " Glory & Riches " of the Roxtel Cup to sustain our competition after a century and a half ! :roll:
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby mickey » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:53 am

Pay reserves players more than $50-$100 per game less tax for 6 days commitment and you might keep a few more in the system.
mickey
Coach

Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 313 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby PhilH » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:39 am

On the subject of reserves, interstate the VFL Reserves is now the AFL Victoria Development League.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=18246595

I think the idea of the academy is good for kids who finish the U18 system and not get drafted but why the name change?

or it is becuase the VFL League is seen by most Victorian media as a reserves competition already?
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Agile » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:11 am

mickey wrote:Pay reserves players more than $50-$100 per game less tax for 6 days commitment and you might keep a few more in the system.

My point exactly
Agile
Rookie

Postby dedja » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:20 am

Agile wrote:
mickey wrote:Pay reserves players more than $50-$100 per game less tax for 6 days commitment and you might keep a few more in the system.

My point exactly

X2
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 996 times

Postby Pseudo » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:33 am

PhilH wrote:On the subject of reserves, interstate the VFL Reserves is now the AFL Victoria Development League.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-118-0-0-0&&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=18246595

I think the idea of the academy is good for kids who finish the U18 system and not get drafted but why the name change?

or it is becuase the VFL League is seen by most Victorian media as a reserves competition already?

Because the revolution will be complete when the language is perfect. Newspeak is AFLsoc and AFLsoc is Newspeak.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby RB » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:31 am

Pseudo wrote:
PhilH wrote:On the subject of reserves, interstate the VFL Reserves is now the AFL Victoria Development League.

Because the revolution will be complete when the language is perfect. Newspeak is AFLsoc and AFLsoc is Newspeak.

That's it, comrade.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1075 times

Postby oldfella » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:17 pm

The AFL controls the SANFL salary cap by threatening to with hold junior & development funding - as I understand it this is what they did when we didn't want a salary cap.

If I had a choice there would be either no salary cap or a combination salary cap/point system or just a straight out points system as is in many other league?
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby Agile » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:15 pm

A combination of a raised salary cap and an alocaded points system is the way to go. I am buggered if I can see why the AFL would want to stifle up and coming juniors. A strong SANFL breeder comp can only auger well for the expanded AFL. Smells like a bloody minded winner takes all mentality eminating from AFL HQ.
The professionalism demanded by all SANFL Clubs deserves a better dividend to the players involved. And without a strong reserves list you have not much chance of getting to a GF
Agile
Rookie

Postby holden78 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:45 pm

Agile wrote:A combination of a raised salary cap and an alocaded points system is the way to go. I am buggered if I can see why the AFL would want to stifle up and coming juniors. A strong SANFL breeder comp can only auger well for the expanded AFL. Smells like a bloody minded winner takes all mentality eminating from AFL HQ.
The professionalism demanded by all SANFL Clubs deserves a better dividend to the players involved. And without a strong reserves list you have not much chance of getting to a GF

Excellant post , but the AFL HQ mentality together with its $ is why the Magpies are fronting up for another dance in the Roxtel Cup ; playing extra games is folly if your solely focused on getting to the GF . The old Magpies under Big Bob and Cahill or Fos would have told Vlad and AFL house to get stuffed ! But $ rules and the Power have none . Why people cant see how this Roxtel Cup is the thin edge of the wedge and takes some of the true level of league standard football away when these teams have to front up after these extra games , well its beyond me ! Port dont have a say really , but West and South are stroking their egos justifying this after the evidence of 2011 season . If we all stuck together its a none issue for mine , after Rucci craps on ad nauseum ofcoarse ! :shock:
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:53 pm

You need a history lesson.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby PhilH » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Want to worry about something ... I don't have a massive interest in the VFL but find this rather depressing.

http://www.vflfooty.com/node/7609
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Jim05 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:57 pm

PhilH wrote:Want to worry about something ... I don't have a massive interest in the VFL but find this rather depressing.

http://www.vflfooty.com/node/7609

Yes it was only a matter of time.
The AFL reserves comp is just around the corner.
I believe this will be our final year of association with Bendigo and we will be fielding our own ressies side next year
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Wedgie » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:23 am

Get rid of the salary cap.
If some sort of "evener" is needed for the comp then bring in a complex, fair and easy to manage/understand points system.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby oldfella » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:24 am

Wedgie wrote:Get rid of the salary cap.
If some sort of "evener" is needed for the comp then bring in a complex, fair and easy to manage/understand points system.

Totally agree
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL