Round 6 LIVE Scores

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Round 6 LIVE Scores

Postby Big Phil » Wed May 04, 2016 11:17 am

Wedgie wrote:Get rid of the audio broadcasts but increase the video broadcasts, they're great!

They're expensive, as well, and some clubs may not want to have them as to not have some effect on numbers at the gate.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 274 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed May 04, 2016 11:19 am

Big Phil wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Get rid of the audio broadcasts but increase the video broadcasts, they're great!

They're expensive, as well, and some clubs may not want to have them as to not have some effect on numbers at the gate.

Using that philosophy the clubs wouldn't want television, radio or Mixlr streaming either.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2063 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Big Phil » Wed May 04, 2016 11:21 am

Wedgie wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

Using that philosophy the clubs wouldn't want television, radio or Mixlr streaming either.

Don't shoot the messenger !!!

Just going on what I have heard or been told in the past...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 274 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed May 04, 2016 11:47 am

tipper wrote:
PhilH wrote:Anything digital is in delay .... listen to digital radio or watch digital tv of a game same time as analogue radio.

Web streaming even more so, to varying degrees from 7 seconds to minutes.

Calling a game via wifi rather than phone line does the same.

Not sure why, just is.

There is solution. ...... add a narrowband broadcast to the stream,

ie on 88.2FM within a couple of km's of the broadcast point

It had already been done at SANFL level both in Adelaide and when LifeFM goes interstate to enable boundary riders to hear the live call for crosses.

No reason why Life FM can't do this as well and then they can do away with ISDN lines just calling wirelessly.

Then it can be promoted that regardless of who is doing the calling at the game
you can hear a LIVE call on 88.2FM

the delay on a digital broadcast, i believe, is just due to the technology. im sure someone will correct me if im wrong, but due to the "digital encoding" at the transmission source, then the 'decoding" at the receiving end, a few seconds delay is introduced. i dont think anything can be done to eliminate it (possibly in the future with faster/better equipment?) as Phil has said, it just is.

sounds like your suggestion of a localised radio signal would be a good compromise for those at the game Phil. i dont personally listen to a radio call but im sure those that did would miss it. hopefully your suggestion is looked at.

For digital radio and tv, it is indeed encoding and decoding delays. Usually a second or more.

For Internet transmission, there is no way to guarantee how a packet of data makes its way to your computer. Depends on a lot of things, including your ISP and your connection speed

So what happens is there is usually a small delay as your device will buffer the stream - this ensures that it doesn't drop out intermittently. So as a result there will be a few seconds to 30 seconds delay
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby StrayDog » Wed May 04, 2016 12:42 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

Don't shoot the messenger !!!

Just going on what I have heard or been told in the past...

Phil, regardless of its basis, you offered a reasonable point of view and another poster offered fair perspective.

From where I sit, that's hardly "shooting the messenger".
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1184 times
Been liked: 198 times

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL