NAFC injunction on the SANFL re the Power

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: NAFC injunction on the SANFL re the Power

Postby harley d » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:47 pm

We should leave the SANFL and commission to look after their 2 little AFL children so they can enjoy their corporate boxes every week and give back the power to the clubs to actually run our great league

I hope this is not on the clubs agenda, thats dangeous. Good on North for " sticking up" for the comp though seem to be the only club that does . They have done something similiar before I think.
harley d
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby auto » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:47 pm

Macca19 wrote:Well, not well put really. Its recieved the $3m end of year dividend plus the $44m revenue from games at Footy Park over the past 12 years. So it has done very well on its investment.

Well put!
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:49 pm

harley d wrote:We should leave the SANFL and commission to look after their 2 little AFL children so they can enjoy their corporate boxes every week and give back the power to the clubs to actually run our great league

I hope this is not on the clubs agenda, thats dangeous. Good on North for " sticking up" for the comp though seem to be the only club that does . They have done something similiar before I think.

No, that line wasn't any club's agenda, that was purely and soley my preference.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby auto » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:57 pm

baysman wrote:
We gave Port $4 mill in 96 a stadium and 35 of the leagues finest players. In return we have recieved what $3 mill in dividends over the last 12 years and had our league reduced to a feeder comp. What a brilliant investment.

Well put !

Atleast get your facts right.
auto
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 29 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby Magpiespower » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:26 am

Wedgie wrote:They'd always have the Thunderbirds too.

Rather watch the T-Birds over the Power any day.

Nat Medhurst...

=P~
Everyone can eat s#!t! A big bag of s#!t! I'm the greatest man in the world!
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby holden78 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:39 pm

If only they would wear G strings :D
Magpiespower wrote:
Wedgie wrote:They'd always have the Thunderbirds too.

Rather watch the T-Birds over the Power any day.

Nat Medhurst...

=P~
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:34 pm

harley d wrote:We should leave the SANFL and commission to look after their 2 little AFL children so they can enjoy their corporate boxes every week and give back the power to the clubs to actually run our great league

Think you will find that that this has been discussed "off the record" amongst several clubs already. Don't know if they are serious about it yet.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:13 am

Who is it exactly that you think runs the league?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7521 times
Been liked: 10826 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:36 am

Lots of info in todays paper, it looks like Rucci's tune is a little different to Saturday morning, must have actually done some study on the situation.
It seems North (and most if not all the clubs) gripe is with the commission and it appears rightfully so.
The commission want to bend over backwards to the AFL to lower the SANFL salary cap and have accused the SANFL clubs of mismanagement whilst they withheld information from the clubs about the Power's financial woes until it was too late and just required a financial bailout.
It is also noted that the Power have done nothing wrong as they kept the commission fully up to date the entire time, its just the commission decided to not pass on this very important news to the clubs.

Its time to go ...............
SANFL Commission.

The SANFL seem to be panicking at the moment with their insipid response that shows no leadership on the matter as it appears they're in love with the commission moreso than they are with the competition they're supposed to be running.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Ronnie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:18 pm

This is becoming truly alarming. So the Power project to lose about 4 mill next year and 5 mil in 2011??
I think it is crisis time in the league and the good old days are well and truly over. For the commission to just let this happen is disgraceful and it enganders a number of SANFL clubs which is the real worry.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby nickname » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:34 pm

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say Port have done nothing wrong. They're the ones who have got their club in this position. They didn't tell the Commission their 'business model' was not viable until late last year. It's worth remembering Port is run by a board of management, not by the Commission.
nickname
League Bench Warmer

Postby darley16 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:39 pm

It would appear this disaster unfolded under the ageing eyes of Whicker & Payze who are now being bought to order for their contempt of our 9 clubs, rolling over to the AFL overlords on every issue that adversely impacts on SA footy without a word of protest and now their inability to adequately communicate vitally important fiscal concerns with all shareholders of the SANFL. Surely their time is up.

It's overdue that the SANFL clubs became united and militant against this failed administration in order to not only protect our 9 clubs but also the health of football in SA. Well done NAFC for taking leadership to this end.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:55 pm

Viva la Revolution!!! :roll:

What sort of impact would a "militant" group formed by the SANFL clubs have on the comission? I would have thought working together would be better than splitting the groups further apart.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Ronnie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:56 pm

nickname wrote:I think it's a bit of a stretch to say Port have done nothing wrong. They're the ones who have got their club in this position. They didn't tell the Commission their 'business model' was not viable until late last year. It's worth remembering Port is run by a board of management, not by the Commission.

true, and i think the role of the previous CEO is being looked at a bit more closely now that this has unfolded.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby doggies4eva » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:43 pm

I must admit that I am not entirely accross this issue. As an SANFL supporter I see the Crows and Power as cash cows to support the SANFL comp. Given that Footy Park is a 50,000 seat stadium, they need to find a way to substantially fill this stadium on a regular basis. I would imagine that the 3-4,000 patrons to an SANFL game (not paying anywhere near the cost of an AFL entrance ticket) would not be enough to make the stadium financially viable.

What I would like to know - a link to a reliable site would be good are answers to the following:

What does the SANFL make out of Pt Power's games at AAMI?

What are the forecasted losses for Port over the coming years? Can the claim of $4M plus losses really be substantiated? Thats astounding.

I'd like to carefully understand the business because I think it may well be crucial for the long-term interests of the game.

Can anyone help with the above?
We used to be good :-(
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:49 pm

As per the paper today the Power's projected losses are 2.34 million this year, 4.27 million next year and 4.5 million in 2011.
Those figures are from the Power themselves so are probably a best case scenario.
From the same paragraph it also says that as much as 3.5 million has been pumped into the Power in the past year from the SANFL.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby doggies4eva » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:08 pm

Wedgie wrote:As per the paper today the Power's projected losses are 2.34 million this year, 4.27 million next year and 4.5 million in 2011.
Those figures are from the Power themselves so are probably a best case scenario.
From the same paragraph it also says that as much as 3.5 million has been pumped into the Power in the past year from the SANFL.

Thanks for that Wedgie.

It would seem that $4.27M and $4.5M losses will exceed the profits to the SANFL of operating the stadium for those seasons. Can anyone confirm this?
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby mick » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:12 pm

Wedgie wrote:As per the paper today the Power's projected losses are 2.34 million this year, 4.27 million next year and 4.5 million in 2011.

If this is true, then there really are only two alternatives, liquidate the Power or sell/relocate the licence to Tasmania (for instance). Remove the financial cancer. Time for hard decisions.
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:24 pm

mick wrote:

If this is true, then there really are only two alternatives, liquidate the Power or sell/relocate the licence to Tasmania (for instance). Remove the financial cancer. Time for hard decisions.

Fair to say, some internet warlords might not be the best people to make these "hard decisions"....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby doggies4eva » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:26 pm

mick wrote:

Well if this is true then I see more than 2 alternatives - ie Send Port back to the drawing board and come up with a new business plan that seriously addresses the issues. This will include cutting player wages. And before you all jump down my throat I would like to point out that my own club the mighty doggies was forced to do this in dark times and it was probably the start of the building of a dynasty!!

I'm serious for a change.
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL