Rnd 4 - Norwood v Port @ Adelaide Oval (Fri N 24/4)

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Rnd 4 - Norwood v Port @ Adelaide Oval (Fri N 24/4)

Postby JK » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:31 am

LPH wrote:As for the 'banner' last night - now I've seen everything!
A combined CS Banner - WTF?
ANZAC Day or not - couldn't believe my eyes.
If that doesn't say it all, about 'Compromise' & 'Integrity' of the COMPETITION - please.

For mine it shows the respect that should be on display for such a significant occasion. Sport is such an insignificant part of life compared to the threat of military combat. Thought it was a great initiative by the clubs.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4466 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:37 am

LPH wrote:On the game:

I am surprised at the Port supporters suggesting it was a hard fought game.
From where I was sitting/standing - Norwood dominated from 1/4 time & had they kicked straight it would've been a belting in those conditions.
Game was over @ 3/4 time.

Butcher is a complete spud - biggest waste of money on their list IMHO.
Gets 1 kick after 1/2 time (a very soft free in the goal square) & proceeds to kick into the man on the mark, for a behind!
The rest of the time he literally ran around in circles, appealing for frees - pathetic, really.

Whether or not they should even be in the competition is irrelevant, because they are in it.
I think we HAVE accepted that both them & the Cows are there - but that doesn't mean we have to be happy about it.
It is very easy for both Cow & PAP supporters suggest "... get over it... move on" because they have a genuine interest in their 'A Grade'.
For the rest of us who don't really give a toss about the expanded VFL, the fact they are competing in our competition on an unequal playing field is 'shitty' to say the least.

As for the 'banner' last night - now I've seen everything!
If that doesn't say it all, about 'Compromise' & 'Integrity' of the COMPETITION - please.

Two very strange observations LPH :shock:

You said the game was over at 3/4 time but Port kicked a goal and Butchers humorous point and got within 6 points with what appeared the run of play in the last Quarter. How on earth is that game over.

As for you having an issue with the banner. I,ll just shrug the shoulders and say OK mate. Anzac Day - try and open your mind to a bigger picture. Australians go to Gallipoli on Anzac Day and we pay tribute with the fallen from both countries. The coming together of the two teams to mark the day much bigger than any game of football was a nice touch I thought. Until I read your post I wouldn't have even entertained the idea that anyone could have found negativity in the banner.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 852 times

Postby LPH » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:39 am

Butcher's point was in the 3rd 1/4 @ the Southern End!
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:39 am

JK wrote:

For mine it shows the respect that should be on display for such a significant occasion. Sport is such an insignificant part of life compared to the threat of military combat. Thought it was a great initiative by the clubs.

Initiative by the clubs??
It was initiated by the AFL and then re-initiated last year by the SANFL when they asked us to do a joint banner with Norwood which we refused to do as we knew they'd just be riding on our coat tails, I think we managed alright by ourselves too, pity other clubs supporters can't organise similar sort of quality.
I've seen a sneak peak of ours today too, the quality continues.
The only thing that is disrespectful is pre-bought emblems and wording. Do it right or don't bother doint it all IMHO.

anzac day banner.jpg
anzac day banner.jpg (90.73 KiB) Viewed 940 times
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2063 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby LPH » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:41 am

Thanks for the History lesson wristwatch - BTW, I did serve in the Royal Australian Army - RAE
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby JK » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:42 am

Initiative probably the wrong word, effort probably more accurate.

You guys keep racking up those banner premierships ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:43 am

JK wrote:Initiative probably the wrong word, effort probably more accurate.

You guys keep racking up those banner premierships ;)

We have to, we're no good at footy. ;)
If only our poker machines, alcohol bills and banners could kick goals. :(
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Rising Power » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:32 pm

It was great to see a number of Norwood supporters in the Gameday Village in Memorial Drive before and after the game, perhaps unknowingly putting money directly into the pocket of Port Adelaide. That was a win of sorts, at least.
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:55 pm

Rising Power wrote:It was great to see a number of Norwood supporters in the Gameday Village in Memorial Drive before and after the game, perhaps unknowingly putting money directly into the pocket of Port Adelaide. That was a win of sorts, at least.

I'm sure the Power fans that drink in the Fans Bar run by the SMA more than makes up for it ;)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Rising Power » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:56 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Rising Power wrote:It was great to see a number of Norwood supporters in the Gameday Village in Memorial Drive before and after the game, perhaps unknowingly putting money directly into the pocket of Port Adelaide. That was a win of sorts, at least.

I'm sure the Power fans that drink in the Fans Bar run by the SMA more than makes up for it ;)

Sneaky edit there ;)
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Wedgie » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:18 pm

Rising Power wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Sneaky edit there ;)

Ha ha, yeah I stuffed up originally, I do it occasionally :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:42 pm

Wedgie wrote:Was it a similar atmosphere on the hill as last year?

anzac day.jpg

On the telly it looked like a few there, but nothing like previous years
Thought I saw RTG in the stands
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:02 am

JK wrote:

Unfortunately you've missed the fact Port Adelaide were involved JK, as such, LP/EH can only shit can it regardless of the actual intent.

It's quite common for clubs to share banners on Anzac Day at all levels of footy.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7532 times
Been liked: 10839 times

Postby HH3 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:11 am

I went to watch the Maggies for the first time in a long time. Sat out in the rain while all the Norwood supporters were crammed together up the top in the little cover available. I think the AO people should have really opened up the upper levels all around the ground to give people more room to sit under cover and be comfortable. The lower levels were mostly empty anyway, so if it was so it looked good on TV, it wouldn't have made a difference.

Didn't phase me and my mates though. We were front row on the eastern wing the whole night.

Very scrappy game. Tom Logan was doing his best to take out his whole team. First he got Paul Stewart, then about 10-15 minutes later he ran headfirst into Summo. I like how he goes about it, but he should try to hurt the opposition players instead.

Norwoods Newton really annoyed me. He seems like a bit of a dickhead from what I saw. A few little cheap shots, and a bit selfish. I've gotta admit, I enjoyed it when he knocked himself out.

I think I'll be making more of an effort to get to the Maggies home games this year. Was a decent night out for $14.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby JK » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:15 am

I think Juice would probably annoy most outside of his own club. Be nice to see him find some form that's for sure. I wasn't at the game, but doesn't sound as though he did anything Butcher didn't do (except maybe miss a goal from near the goalsquare, although Juice did manage that the week before lol)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:18 am

And if course we can always enjoy it when a player knocks himself out. :roll:
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby HH3 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:21 am

johntheclaret wrote:And if course we can always enjoy it when a player knocks himself out. :roll:

He was fine. He played out the rest of the game. So yeah, I liked it. He was giving cheap shots along the boundry right before it happened, so I thought it was a bit of karma for the bloke.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby HH3 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:22 am

JK wrote:I think Juice would probably annoy most outside of his own club. Be nice to see him find some form that's for sure. I wasn't at the game, but doesn't sound as though he did anything Butcher didn't do (except maybe miss a goal from near the goalsquare, although Juice did manage that the week before lol)

I don't understand how Butcher is on anybodies list still....he looks surprised when he does something half decent.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:33 am

HH3 wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:And if course we can always enjoy it when a player knocks himself out. :roll:

He was fine. He played out the rest of the game. So yeah, I liked it. He was giving cheap shots along the boundry right before it happened, so I thought it was a bit of karma for the bloke.

Apologies. I didn't realise you were only happy he'd knocked himself out after you knew he was fine.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:41 am

HH3 wrote:
JK wrote:I think Juice would probably annoy most outside of his own club. Be nice to see him find some form that's for sure. I wasn't at the game, but doesn't sound as though he did anything Butcher didn't do (except maybe miss a goal from near the goalsquare, although Juice did manage that the week before lol)

I don't understand how Butcher is on anybodies list still....he looks surprised when he does something half decent.

He was very lucky to get a contract extension at the end of 2013, covering '14 and '15. At that time though we had Redden with a long term injury and Renouf about to be delisted, we really needed him as fall back for Westhoff in case Westhoff had to ruck. If Lobbe went down during 2014 we would have been stuffed. Trengove and Westhoff would have had to ruck and Butcher would have come back in purely for structure.

He won't be at Alberton in 2016.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7532 times
Been liked: 10839 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL