NAFC injunction on the SANFL re the Power

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: NAFC injunction on the SANFL re the Power

Postby SABRE » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:33 pm

csbowes wrote:
SABRE wrote:Leaving aside the politics of this issue, the thing that really grinds my gears, is that the blood
sweat and tears of South Australian local clubs during 3 centuries of effort, paid for Football
Park (not AAMI bloody stadium). And although it belongs to all of us, the bunnies who bought
and built it, WE don't even get to play there during the season.
Who does?
The plastic illegitimate spawn of criminal, Victorian forced, football manufacturing.
May karma strike in my lifetime !
:-l X( :evil:

Why play at Football Park when no one goes to our games? As noted in my previous message, its our own clubs fans who walked away and chose to give the jewels of our league to the AFL clubs. No one is to blame here but our own league, our own clubs, our own clubs fans. Victoria is not to blame. Shaking their arse and looking pretty is all they did, we were the one's who walked over and offered money...
They might have prostituted themselves for money...
... but in the end, we're still the John.

=))
Try hypnosis 'csb', it can help lost memories.
;)
NFC 2021
SABRE
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 44 times

Postby baysman » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:19 pm

We gave Port $4 mill in 96 a stadium and 35 of the leagues finest players. In return we have recieved what $3 mill in dividends over the last 12 years and had our league reduced to a feeder comp. What a brilliant investment.

Well put !
baysman
Under 16s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby Macca19 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:46 pm

Well, not well put really. Its recieved the $3m end of year dividend plus the $44m revenue from games at Footy Park over the past 12 years. So it has done very well on its investment.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:54 pm

I purposely listened to the 5AA sports show while driving around this morning to see if I could hear more but they didn't give the story as much importance as what underwear McLeod was wearing this week or how loud Warren Tredrea's last fart was.
They did briefly mention it and Rucci showed how despite being a journalist how truly clueless a peanut he is about anything.
He said that North have a short memory because of the help they got in 2003! :shock:
(insinuating that they should be all for the millions thrown at Port since North obviously got millions too)
Umm, Moronagelo, that's exactly why North are pissed off, because of the NO DOLLARS they got from the SANFL and the NO DOLLARS that Sturt, the Magpies and West are getting compared to the millions of dollars the failed business the Power is getting.
What would possess a peanut like this who obviously has no idea and doesn't even have the courtesy to educate himself on a matter before opening his big mouth to do so?
Hopefully I get to meet this peanut for a 3rd time so I can reinforce to him the message I gave him the first two times.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby csbowes » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:53 pm

SABRE wrote:
csbowes wrote:
SABRE wrote:Leaving aside the politics of this issue, the thing that really grinds my gears, is that the blood
sweat and tears of South Australian local clubs during 3 centuries of effort, paid for Football
Park (not AAMI bloody stadium). And although it belongs to all of us, the bunnies who bought
Who does?
The plastic illegitimate spawn of criminal, Victorian forced, football manufacturing.

Why play at Football Park when no one goes to our games? As noted in my previous message, its our own clubs fans who walked away and chose to give the jewels of our league to the AFL clubs. No one is to blame here but our own league, our own clubs, our own clubs fans. Victoria is not to blame. Shaking their arse and looking pretty is all they did, we were the one's who walked over and offered money...

=))
;)

... and what pray tell do you think I've forgotten?

As a a Norwood man, you should be well aware of how your side and mine collaborated in a half-arsed attempt to get a license ourselves, I certainly don't remember my club brining up any concerns about how the SANFL would suffer under that regime.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Been liked: 77 times

Postby csbowes » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:59 pm

I can't believe people want to take Port Adelaide out and add "Crows II" into the league. That's just an amazingly short sighted idea. Such a team would be an outright failure, as why would you leave "Crows I" to support "Crows II"?

You'd immediately alienate the 25,000 fans who go to the Port games every week, as you'd essentially be shafting them to the max, then you're expecting the same number of fans, 25,000 or so, to suddenly reappear from where and attend matches?

If they already follow the Crows, they're not going to suddenly shift.

If they already follow the Power, they're certainly not going to follow the Crows II.

If they follow neither and follow some other AFL side or the SANFL, well geez, you're talking small numbers now.

I think people supporting this idea are crazy...
csbowes
League - Best 21

Postby Macca19 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:41 pm

csbowes wrote:I can't believe people want to take Port Adelaide out and add "Crows II" into the league. That's just an amazingly short sighted idea. Such a team would be an outright failure, as why would you leave "Crows I" to support "Crows II"?

Oh dont you know? Apparently theres 50,000 football supporters in this state just itching to support an AFL team that isnt Port. What a pity these magical supporters dont go to SANFL games.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby tipper » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:03 pm

looking at it from a different angle,

the struggling local clubs are forced to fold/merge due to being insolvent, the competition drops from 9 teams to 8 to 7.... how long before the competition loses all meaning all together?

by propping up th power, but not the SANFL clubs they risk the competition itself grinding to a halt, particularly as there is alledgedly more than the one club struggling financially.

If the competition itself folds, what becomes of the sanfl itself? (referring to the "management" that make these deciscions) would they just be some form of glorified management/cleaning company whose sole purpose is to run footy park? IMHO the SANFL is the 9 clubs. they should be supporting the "local" league to the same level as the AFL teams.

without the "local" league the SANFL are just another landlord....
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Hondo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:52 pm

tipper wrote:looking at it from a different angle,

the struggling local clubs are forced to fold/merge due to being insolvent, the competition drops from 9 teams to 8 to 7.... how long before the competition loses all meaning all together?

by propping up th power, but not the SANFL clubs they risk the competition itself grinding to a halt, particularly as there is alledgedly more than the one club struggling financially.

If the competition itself folds, what becomes of the sanfl itself? (referring to the "management" that make these deciscions) would they just be some form of glorified management/cleaning company whose sole purpose is to run footy park? IMHO the SANFL is the 9 clubs. they should be supporting the "local" league to the same level as the AFL teams.

without the "local" league the SANFL are just another landlord....

Keeping the 2 AFL teams strong financially actually helps secure the financial security of the SANFL and the 9 teams. If we let Port fall over (which the AFL won't let happen) then those 3 struggling SANFL clubs' fate is sealed. To have any hope of propping up any SANFL teams the SANFL needs it's 2 AFL licences secure and that needs the 2 clubs being financially secure. The tail doesn't wag the dog.

Besides, the SANFL won't fold. I reckon if we looked at the financials of the SANFL Inc we'd see a pretty strong financial position.

Rightly or wrongly the SANFL these days = the SANFL comp + AAMI Stadium + 2 AFL licences
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby tipper » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:09 pm

i never said that they shouldnt help out the power, i just think that if they do, they should do the same for the struggling sanfl clubs. how far are they willing to let the sanfl comp degrade (by just sitting back and watching the clubs fall over when they have the means to do something about it) before the competition ceases being meaningful? when will they decide to step in? when ther are 8 clubs and one is threatening to close? 7? where do they draw the line if not now?
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Hondo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:19 pm

No-one's fallen over yet Tipper. And we don't know yet that the SANFL won't help those 3 clubs, do we? I don't want to talk about doomsday as though it's a given. So far since the advent of 2 AFL teams in this state we've only dropped 1 team and managed to hold the annual distributions to the SANFL clubs.

Port Magpies' problems, as I understand, stem largely from the no-smoking legislation messing up the profits from their hotel. That's got not much to do with SANFL distributions. Can't comment on West or Sturt.

Granted they didn't help North so I understand the frustrations there.

Please correct me anyone on the Port Magpies comment if I am off track.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby harley d » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:09 am

Wedgie wrote:I purposely listened to the 5AA sports show while driving around this morning to see if I could hear more but they didn't give the story as much importance as what underwear McLeod was wearing this week or how loud Warren Tredrea's last fart was.
They did briefly mention it and Rucci showed how despite being a journalist how truly clueless a peanut he is about anything.
He said that North have a short memory because of the help they got in 2003! :shock:
(insinuating that they should be all for the millions thrown at Port since North obviously got millions too)
Umm, Moronagelo, that's exactly why North are pissed off, because of the NO DOLLARS they got from the SANFL and the NO DOLLARS that Sturt, the Magpies and West are getting compared to the millions of dollars the failed business the Power is getting
What would possess a peanut like this who obviously has no idea and doesn't even have the courtesy to educate himself on a matter before opening his big mouth to do so?
Hopefully I get to meet this peanut for a 3rd time so I can reinforce to him the message I gave him the first two times.

That so called Journalsit has little idea. He is a very poor writer who really writes nothing except always trying to have an umderlying crack at someone cos hes too gutless to say it. Quite a pathetic journalist ,so fobbing off North is easy for him as he thinks the listeners will agree with him , them being AFL centric. The sad thing for him is he's a Port man and even Port people dont like him. :lol:
harley d
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Barto » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:40 am

hondo71 wrote:Port Magpies' problems, as I understand, stem largely from the no-smoking legislation messing up the profits from their hotel.

WTF? That's the worse excuse ever if they're coming up with that. It was like when city hotels were going broke and blaming the drink driving laws.
It's all the SANFL's fault.
Barto
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby csbowes » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:53 am

Barto wrote:
hondo71 wrote:Port Magpies' problems, as I understand, stem largely from the no-smoking legislation messing up the profits from their hotel.

WTF? That's the worse excuse ever if they're coming up with that. It was like when city hotels were going broke and blaming the drink driving laws.

Sadly... our club had the same excuse... never bought it myself either... my experience tells me that clubs lose money the vast majority of the time, because of stupid overly ambitious or optimistic decision making.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Postby SABRE » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:28 am

csbowes wrote:
SABRE wrote:
csbowes wrote:
Who does?

=))
;)

... and what pray tell do you think I've forgotten?

Nah mate, your memory is perfect. It's my fault. I must have been unconscious the day all the
clubs voted to turn the SANFL into a second rate feeder competition quite voluntarily.
;)
NFC 2021
SABRE
Reserves

Postby csbowes » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:01 am

SABRE wrote:Nah mate, your memory is perfect. It's my fault. I must have been unconscious the day all the
clubs voted to turn the SANFL into a second rate feeder competition quite voluntarily.
;)

Well maybe you were told something different at your club, but Sturt never took a public stand against the Crows. I certainly don't recall the 10 clubs standing as one and refusing to support the creation of the Crows...

... and based on what the fans did from that point on, it was a decision ultimately supported by 3/4 of the fan base, which is why we're left with just hardcore SANFL fans at games.

Obviously you believe otherwise, so how did the creation of the Crows happen? Are you proposing that the SANFL board ignored the clubs protests and just created the Crows with no input, agreement and/or support from any of the 10 clubs? Essentially saying that the clubs have no say in SANFL policy whatsoever?

What we have to remember is you can feel pressured to do something, but still refuse to do it. No matter what pressure clubs felt, they still had the option to go against the decision, if they submitted, then no one is to blame but themselves.

You can't wave the "oh they made me" flag, that does nothing but show weakness of character in the face of opposition.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Postby SABRE » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:33 pm

'csb' I think I see the problem. You're arguing about what happened AFTER the SANFL had to
shore up the damage. I've been referring to events prior to the dirty deeds. Take a look at my
original post. Read it carefully. Irrespective of this threads subject, in which I hold no great
interest, I simply stated my disappointment that those who paid for and built Football Park no
longer have seasonal access to it. This is a fact. It is also a fact, that Australian Rules Football,
was subjugated, firstly in W.A. and then in S.A. by people acting for, or on behalf of, the then
VFL. i.e. Victorians.
Other than chronological confusion between us both. I can't understand the tangent you've
taken.
The final reference I made was of opinion only, that being, I consider both the Crows & Power
to be manufactured plastic crap. Again, in my opinion, a fact.
:lol:
Cheers,
SABRE.
NFC 2021
SABRE
Reserves

Postby mick » Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:12 pm

SABRE wrote:'csb' I think I see the problem. You're arguing about what happened AFTER the SANFL had to
shore up the damage. I've been referring to events prior to the dirty deeds. Take a look at my
original post. Read it carefully. Irrespective of this threads subject, in which I hold no great
interest, I simply stated my disappointment that those who paid for and built Football Park no
longer have seasonal access to it. This is a fact. It is also a fact, that Australian Rules Football,
was subjugated, firstly in W.A. and then in S.A. by people acting for, or on behalf of, the then
VFL. i.e. Victorians.
Other than chronological confusion between us both. I can't understand the tangent you've
taken.
The final reference I made was of opinion only, that being, I consider both the Crows & Power
to be manufactured plastic crap. Again, in my opinion, a fact.
:lol:
Cheers,
SABRE.

Hear Hear! exactly manufactured plastic crap
mick
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1 time

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:19 pm

OK, heard a bit more today which is a little bit different to what was originally reported on here.
No injunction (yet), but North tabled their disapproval at a meeting of GM/CEO's.
And no hidden agendas, just purely spite from 2003 when the SANFL would even go guarnator to North for a loan let alone giving them 5 cents to stay alive and annoyance at how the SANFL seem to be more worried about what temperature the pies are for Power and Crows fans rather than how our actual league is going.
We should leave the SANFL and commission to look after their 2 little AFL children so they can enjoy their corporate boxes every week and give back the power to the clubs to actually run our great league.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:25 pm

Wedgie wrote:OK, heard a bit more today which is a little bit different to what was originally reported on here.
No injunction (yet), but North tabled their disapproval at a meeting of GM/CEO's.
And no hidden agendas, just purely spite from 2003 when the SANFL would even go guarnator to North for a loan let alone giving them 5 cents to stay alive and annoyance at how the SANFL seem to be more worried about what temperature the pies are for Power and Crows fans rather than how our actual league is going.
We should leave the SANFL and commission to look after their 2 little AFL children so they can enjoy their corporate boxes every week and give back the power to the clubs to actually run our great league.

Well said. Agree completely, and I think North will have a lot of support from members of other clubs should they decide to act.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL