Magpies and Power merger to be announced in a fortnight.

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Magpies and Power merger to be announced in a fortnight.

Postby X Runna » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:13 pm

once_were_warriors wrote:
Voice wrote:
CUTTERMAN wrote:
Apachebulldog wrote:What an absolute sham the SANFL are now officially the AFL's toady's, all this has done is alienate all the non Port Adelaide Power supporters, it will be interestig to see if crowd numbers go down next year because of this, sure the true Port supporters will be ecstatic of the one Port Adelaide concept but will it really fix their financial problems ??? as far as i am concerned the status quo will remain, i have said in previous posts their is only so much money a supporter can spend so its either you go see the Power or now the Power Magpies, personally i think there is more to this there, maybe a behind the scenes AFL agenda, our friend Mr Demetriou and his cohorts are up to something which will probably rear its ugly head in the future, as for me i used to love going to Alberton to watch Centrals and the Magpies do battle however i will not be spending a cent to watch the Power Magpies and i would say there will be probably be thousands of supporters of all clubs who will probably do the same, is this the end of the SANFL as we know it ??????

Buy a season ticket for Centrals then and you can see every minor round game and all your money goes to Centrals.

But does a season ticket get us into a game that is a curtain raiser? Sorry if this has been already answered but I just doubt very much whether it will.

Is it confirmed that there are going to be curtain raises , or is this a Port wish?

I don't want to be paying AFL rates to go to the footy , plus car park , plus having to be seated etc etc.

From something I read a couple of weeks ago, I was under the impression the Power would be playing before the Magpies on most occasions (a lot of that arises from AFL TV programming IIRC). Therefore, one would imagine Magpie supporters would be allowed into Footy Park after say 3/4 time of the Power game.
X Runna
Reserves

Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Ingle Farm

Postby hereselmo1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:11 pm

I just added a Maggies membership to my Power membership. For just $50 I got a home match ticket, a ONE PAFC certicicate, DVD and my name on the mural.

Happy days!
hereselmo1
Under 16s

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Hondo » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:30 pm

ElizabethVCRThief wrote:So the future of One Port looks pretty certain then :lol:

Well, when you read it like that ... :o

:lol:
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby finn » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:45 pm

As somebody who's taken a bit of interest but not seen the actual deal - I'd like to add my observations.

In the interview post merger announcement, Haysman I believe said that the club would be aiming to achieve 2004 membership and attendance figures - my main question is how that will be achieved without sizeable success and how did the scenario get to this that these 'supporters' disappeared? I thought that the introduction of the Power was o be accompanied by average crowd sizes of 35000.

It seems like the AFL came in with a big stick and held the removal of the license from the SANFL as a rather large stick to the SANFL clubs.

I see the 'admin merger' as the first step in the push by the AFL to get reserves sides for the AFL clubs - with the question eventually being why two separate teams still? Reserves sides of AFL clubs will kill the SANFL competition. I also see the AFL wanting the SANFL's independence to disappear eventually and all second tier competitions to be under the auspices of the AFL.

The merger sees a club about face into its past - the same past that alienates much of its potential supporter base as it now proudly exclaims that its one club with one history but two teams. Port should have distanced itself from its SANFL history to be a financially successful club in the AFL; yes embrace the ethos of the creed but don't antagonise your potential market and audience.

I hope it works but i can't see many people jumping on board the Power from outside now which is where they have to get members and supporters from.
always forgive your enemies...nothing annoys them so much
finn
League - Best 21

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 22 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby zipzap » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:38 pm

finn wrote:It seems like the AFL came in with a big stick and held the removal of the license from the SANFL as a rather large stick to the SANFL clubs.

Nail...

finn wrote: I also see the AFL wanting the SANFL's independence to disappear eventually and all second tier competitions to be under the auspices of the AFL.

on...

finn wrote: Port should have distanced itself from its SANFL history to be a financially successful club in the AFL; yes embrace the ethos of the creed but don't antagonise your potential market and audience.

I hope it works but i can't see many people jumping on board the Power from outside now which is where they have to get members and supporters from.

head.

:ymapplause:
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Mic » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:25 pm

hereselmo1 wrote:You beauty. A great result for the Port Adelaide football community. We now have one club with two great teams.

The standard for greatness has obviously dropped.
Mic
League - Top 5

Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Mr Irate » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:56 pm

More grate than great........
"This windfall from the Adelaide Oval decision cannot be turned into a moment when the SANFL sells off the farm to underwrite its lazy league clubs."
Mr Irate
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Barto » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:36 pm

Getting a bit bored with the Port clowns who keep saying "give us OUR licence".

The second licence was awarded to the SANFL. Get angry at the AFL for not awarding it to Port instead of bagging out the SANFL.

Yeah just give it to them. Dunno why I didn't think of just giving my flat to the tenant instead of collecting rent.
It's all the SANFL's fault.
Barto
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:20 am

Serious questions and I'm wondering if anyone has serious and correct answers.
Question- What happens to Adelaide's SANFL dividend to the SANFL clubs, do the Magpies get a slice of this still?
Question- What happens to Power's SANFL dividend to the SANFL clubs, do all the other clubs still get a slice?
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 214 times
Been liked: 126 times

Postby hereselmo1 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:34 am

Barto wrote:Getting a bit bored with the Port clowns who keep saying "give us OUR licence".

The second licence was awarded to the SANFL. Get angry at the AFL for not awarding it to Port instead of bagging out the SANFL.

Yeah just give it to them. Dunno why I didn't think of just giving my flat to the tenant instead of collecting rent.

Noone is saying we don't want to pull our weight in supporting SA football Barto. I have no idea why you keep trying to perpetuate that myth.

We simply want control of our own club and our own license. We are happy to keep providing exactly the same 'rent' to the SANFL so long as we once again own our club and control our destiny.
hereselmo1
Under 16s

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby once_were_warriors » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:50 am

CUTTERMAN wrote:Serious questions and I'm wondering if anyone has serious and correct answers.
Question- What happens to Adelaide's SANFL dividend to the SANFL clubs, do the Magpies get a slice of this still?

Question- What happens to Power's SANFL dividend to the SANFL clubs, do all the other clubs still get a slice?

I think that this is the current stance ( I could be wrong)

I believe that both Power and Crows still provide SANFL with monies consistent with the current arrangements.

SANFL will now only provide the other 8 SANFL clubs with dividend , PAFC (One) will not recieve this dividend, However will continue to receive financial assitance from the SANFL if required.
If at first you don't succeed , then destroy all evidence that you tried in the first place
once_were_warriors
Under 18s

Been liked: 2 times

Postby CUTTERMAN » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:06 pm

I wonder how apparent it was made to Magpie members that they now do not hold any share or ownership of Footy Park and any future profits from land sale/development if AFL Footy is moved away from West Lakes. I'm led to believe that this is indeed what they have agreed to.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 214 times
Been liked: 126 times

Postby once_were_warriors » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:14 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:I wonder how apparent it was made to Magpie members that they now do not hold any share or ownership of Footy Park and any future profits from land sale/development if AFL Footy is moved away from West Lakes. I'm led to believe that this is indeed what they have agreed to.

If thats what they have agreed to then so be it.

The other SANFL clubs will never see the benifit of net cash injection from say the sale of football park. They may receive an increase in divedend, but the SANFL will keep the bulk of the proceeds from any sale.

Only way the clubs will realise the assets is if the SANFL is wound up, which I can't see happening. Consider it like a semi trust fund.
If at first you don't succeed , then destroy all evidence that you tried in the first place
once_were_warriors
Under 18s

Postby JK » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:19 pm

CUTTERMAN wrote:I wonder how apparent it was made to Magpie members that they now do not hold any share or ownership of Footy Park and any future profits from land sale/development if AFL Footy is moved away from West Lakes. I'm led to believe that this is indeed what they have agreed to.

The other SANFL clubs will never see the benifit of net cash injection from say the sale of football park. They may receive an increase in divedend, but the SANFL will keep the bulk of the proceeds from any sale.

Only way the clubs will realise the assets is if the SANFL is wound up, which I can't see happening. Consider it like a semi trust fund.

I'd have to agree with all of that
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4470 times
Been liked: 3012 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:22 pm

The SANFL had to borrow the $5m just given to Port Adelaide as they had no cash at hand as all revenue is divided up. Where would the money from the sale of Footy Park go ( if sold ) to then?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7634 times
Been liked: 11100 times

Postby Clever Dick » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:56 pm

hereselmo1 wrote:I just added a Maggies membership to my Power membership. For just $50 I got a home match ticket, a ONE PAFC certicicate, DVD and my name on the mural.

Happy days!

You're easily pleased then!
Clever Dick
Rookie

Been liked: 0 time

Postby once_were_warriors » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Booney wrote:

The SANFL had to borrow the $5m just given to Port Adelaide as they had no cash at hand as all revenue is divided up. Where would the money from the sale of Footy Park go ( if sold ) to then?

I would imagine into general revenue or trust.

I would be concerened if it all went into general revenue as then it is also easy to spend without as much thought.

Maybe 30% general revenue , 70% trust.
once_were_warriors
Under 18s

Postby Hondo » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:29 pm

If they sold footy park they would put the proceeds into the next best investment to provide new cash inflows to replace what they had. In fact, instead of selling it they might commercially develop the land themselves. It would depend on what gives the greatest return. I don't think sticking the proceeds into a bank account would be the best investment they could make.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby once_were_warriors » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Hondo wrote:If they sold footy park they would put the proceeds into the next best investment to provide new cash inflows to replace what they had. In fact, instead of selling it they might commercially develop the land themselves. It would depend on what gives the greatest return. I don't think sticking the proceeds into a bank account would be the best investment they could make.

Agree , they should look at best return on a moderate risk level.

Developing that land for housing or light industrial interests themselves would be the way they go.

I think if done correctly then the SANFL's clubs financial security are a lot more solid.

Mind you they might need all that money for legal advice and representation when they have their *hit fight with the SACA and AFL in 5 years time
once_were_warriors
Under 18s

Postby tipper » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:44 pm

would they be allowed to just stick it into a bank account?

i was of the understanding that the sanfl clubs were not for profit organisations, any money they make has to go back into footy in some way, the league side, junior development facilities etc.

is the SANFL itself a not for profit organisation also? any money they "make" they would also then have to put back into some form of investment. they wouldnt just be able to sit on a large sum of cash, hence the need to borrow to finance the latest Power "hand out" (or whatever we want to call it), they are not really allowed to sit on vast reserves of cash.

i may very well be wrong wtih my understanding and am happy to be corrected
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL