Magpies and Power merger to be announced in a fortnight.

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Magpies and Power merger to be announced in a fortnight.

Postby hereselmo1 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:33 pm

You beauty. A great result for the Port Adelaide football community. We now have one club with two great teams.
hereselmo1
Under 16s

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Go Legs » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:21 am

You beauty indeed, when the Port Power fail and the SANFL final bites the inevitable bullit and sells off the licence to whoever is stupid enough to buy it then, we will have 8 teams in the SANFL without any byes and only 1 team in the AFL

Sooner the better in my book.

Cheers,
Go Legs
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby zipzap » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:39 am

Any support I've had for the Power (and AFL for that matter) has been at the lower end of the spectrum and certainly not financial, so I don't suppose this will cause anyone at Alberton to lose any sleep. But if 'support' meant watched their games, followed Sturt-related recruits in particular with interest, and casually barracked for the team, then support them I did.

But in this formal link with the Magpies they have lost me and I suspect lots of other fairweather footy fans. Like I said, the care-factor at Alberton will be zero and it won't make a short-term difference to their coffers but I can't see how narrowing their supporter base and alienating aspects of it so dramatically can have anything other than a detrimental effect long-term.

They are once again the enemy - which will no doubt please a couple of thousand die-hards still living off the crumbs of the past - but surely it's no way to turn around a struggling, dead-in-the-water business?
"A no vote from any club means there is some sort of risk involved in our entry into the competition not working," Steven Trigg.
zipzap
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 248 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:56 am

Glad its finally done. Now no more excuses from port. Be funny in 5 years time when port is still playing infront of 20,000 people at adelaide oval and losing more money than the greek economy. Maybe the sanfl will sell the license off, the Tassie Power has a good ring to it :D
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3654 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Ronnie » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:16 am

I give the Magpies five years at most in this guise. In that time they will either be turned into a Power Reserves side or they will be killed off as the Power battle with their finances.
Either way i don't really see this as the solution.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 86 times

Postby beenreal » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:26 am

Jim05 wrote:Glad its finally done. Now no more excuses from port. Be funny in 5 years time when port is still playing infront of 20,000 people at adelaide oval and losing more money than the greek economy. Maybe the sanfl will sell the license off, the Tassie Power has a good ring to it :D

Even on the back of an ordinary season Port Adelaide averaged 25,000 to their games, But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story?

Even with that number at Kardinia Park, Geelong make $500K profit, while under the current deal Port would lose $150K. The stadium deal at Adelaide Oval will no doubt be much more favourable.
PORT ADELAIDE FOOTBALL CLUB
Serving the community since 1870
Developing footballers for 143 years
Proud of the Past, Confident of the Future
beenreal
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby nickname » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:42 am

beenreal wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Glad its finally done. Now no more excuses from port. Be funny in 5 years time when port is still playing infront of 20,000 people at adelaide oval and losing more money than the greek economy. Maybe the sanfl will sell the license off, the Tassie Power has a good ring to it :D

Even on the back of an ordinary season Port Adelaide averaged 25,000 to their games, But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story?

Even with that number at Kardinia Park, Geelong make $500K profit, while under the current deal Port would lose $150K. The stadium deal at Adelaide Oval will no doubt be much more favourable.

Port averaged 23,000 to their home games. Geelong averaged 39,000 to their home games, because some of their home games are played at the MCG and Etihad.
nickname
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Macca19 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:20 am

zipzap wrote:Any support I've had for the Power (and AFL for that matter) has been at the lower end of the spectrum and certainly not financial, so I don't suppose this will cause anyone at Alberton to lose any sleep. But if 'support' meant watched their games, followed Sturt-related recruits in particular with interest, and casually barracked for the team, then support them I did.

But in this formal link with the Magpies they have lost me and I suspect lots of other fairweather footy fans. Like I said, the care-factor at Alberton will be zero and it won't make a short-term difference to their coffers but I can't see how narrowing their supporter base and alienating aspects of it so dramatically can have anything other than a detrimental effect long-term.

Well, Id say that support generally means buying a membership and going to games. You say your support has not been financial, well would you have ever bought a membership or a season ticket?

Personally Id say for every fairweather fan that is negatively effected by this there will be 5 times as many who couldnt care less.

And in the end, we are Port Adelaide. Its who we are, its what the club is. There is no shying away from it. Moving away from those roots full time to please a couple of hundred fairweather fans who dont buy memberships/go to games anyway whilst alienating 3/4 of the people that actually do go to games is no way to do business either.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby sjt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:39 am

I think Warren Partland's article on page 86 today, provides a pretty good summary.
Magpies "screwed" by Port Power (again), and the SANFL held to ransom by the AFL (again).
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Hondo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:49 am

zipzap wrote:Any support I've had for the Power (and AFL for that matter) has been at the lower end of the spectrum and certainly not financial, so I don't suppose this will cause anyone at Alberton to lose any sleep. But if 'support' meant watched their games, followed Sturt-related recruits in particular with interest, and casually barracked for the team, then support them I did.

They are once again the enemy - which will no doubt please a couple of thousand die-hards still living off the crumbs of the past - but surely it's no way to turn around a struggling, dead-in-the-water business?

You can't expect the SANFL directors and the Port directors to put their signatures to a plan that is based on appealling to "fairwearther footy fans" who support "at the lower end of the spectrum" and will never financially support the club. All at the risk of further alienating traditional Port fans. Unless you have ever financially supported the club then you are a neutral with a bit of an interest. Neutrals with a casual interest won't save Port IMO.
Last edited by Hondo on Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby am Bays » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:49 am

Macca19 wrote:Well, Id say that support generally means buying a membership and going to games. You say your support has not been financial, well would you have ever bought a membership or a season ticket?

Personally Id say for every fairweather fan that is negatively effected by this there will be 5 times as many who couldnt care less.

And in the end, we are Port Adelaide. Its who we are, its what the club is. There is no shying away from it. Moving away from those roots full time to please a couple of hundred fairweather fans who dont buy memberships/go to games anyway whilst alienating 3/4 of the people that actually do go to games is no way to do business either.

*In an attempt to have a rational conversation/debate*

I ceede that point macca, but if we look at the AFL model all the other clubs who have been in trouble financially in the last 10-15 years have looked beyond their traditional fan base to grow their membership/supporter abse and financial stability (i.e. broader sponsorship appeal). Footscray became teh western Bulldogs, Hawthorn went to Tassie. Crikey, 30 eyars ago Sheedy started taking Essendon all over the country to play games to broaden his clubs appeal. Now ti is an Australia wide brand not just a pocket of support around North West Melbourne.

North Melbourne became the Kanegroos and now as Nth Melbourne again are looking to cash in on Tasmania - because they know they can't just be North Melbourne shinboners to survive.

This merger is a short term fix and doesn't cater for Port Powers future finacial growth bar the hope for a better stadium deal which liek the current one will be dependant on bums on seats.

If Port are dinkum about their financial security they will market themselves to a wider market this merger doesn't do that. Yes alienating some of their traditional supporters will lead to short term pain but it provides a far great chance for long term security. Based on comments on Adelaide mow 2/71 posters (3%) of Power supporters expressed dismay at close ties to Port Power lets say 1.5% of Port Power members drop off can the Power afford that? Also not all magpies supporters like the Power will they be disenfranchised - will they put their hard earned into the merged entity? In reality this merger could well shrink the total supporter/membership base of the Power/Magpies

AS a SA Footy follwer I would be happy for them to to offered greater support by the SANFL if they were trying to broaden their marketability and membership and supporter appeal, as per what ahs been demosntrated to work by other AFL clubs.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 1919 times

Postby Hondo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:56 am

am Bays wrote:If Port are dinkum about their financial security they will market themselves to a wider market this merger doesn't do that. Yes alienating some of their traditional supporters will lead to short term pain but it provides a far great chance for long term security. Based on comments on Adelaide mow 2/71 posters (3%) of Power supporters expressed dismay at close ties to Port Power lets say 3% of Port Power members drop off can the Power afford that? Also not all magpies supporters like the Power will they be disenfranchised. In reality this merger could well shrink the total supporter/memebrship base of the Power/Magpies

Have you got any figures, research or facts to back this theory up? Have you polled PAM or PAP people to see what numbers are lurking out there un-tapped? Have you researched non-Port people to see if they would come over to the Adelaide Power. You repeat this theory over and over but, like my theories, it's just speculation. The proof of the pudding will be in the eating when we come back to this debate in 5 years' time.

If only 3% drop off because of the merger then I would speculate that > 3% would drop off if you dropped the link to PAM and re-named them the Adelaide Power. Again, this is personal speculation only. No-one has a crystal ball.
Hondo
Coach

Postby Macca19 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:10 am

You raise a good argument re: looking outside the state for opportunities (which the club is doing with Darwin), but in reality, has changing name to the Western Bulldogs or Kangaroos helped those clubs? 10 years on they are still in trouble and both still struggle for members. Its not like either club has any sot of financial security. And in the end, both clubs still stayed true to their roots, still talked up their history and tradition....maybe more so, whereas the general opinion from non-Port fans seems to always be that Port need to completely disassociate themselves from Port Adelaide, drop the history and tradition all together and start fresh. The Kangaroos still talked up the shinboner spirit and history of North Melbourne...and ended up going back to North Melbourne anyway. Western Bulldogs still talk up Footscray history...initials on the back of the jumper (first to do that) etc. This isnt what people want Port to do. No history, no tradition, no black and white, no magpies, no premierships...nothing. How would that work and why on earth would Port supporters stay supporting a club that suddenly changes to recognise absolutely zero links to their past?

So whilst yes, winning new members is the key to survival, I dont think that completely turning the back on the fact we still are Port Adelaide will solve that and in fact would make it much worse.

A lot of people mention all these people that seem to be itching to go to AFL footy in Adelaide but who dont want to follow Adelaide or Port....well is there any actual factual basis to these comments. Some people on here have even said there are even 30,000 of these people just waiting in the wings to go to AFL games. Well sorry, I just dont think they exist.
Last edited by Macca19 on Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby am Bays » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:12 am

can yo provide proof that it will not happen?

proof 1 is Essendon, Hawthorn, Collingwood and to a lesser extent Western Bulldogs who have all over the last 1-20 years looked to grow their membership/supporter base in different markets not appeal to the same market. Essendon, Collingwood and Hawthorn have all thrived and improved their financial health. Western Bulldogs have been able to stave off financial extiction - what Port need to do.

I provided figures in my original post and I halved the disatisfaction to who may actually walk. Yes the drop off will be small and some say it may not even be noticed with the Power getting their hands on the Pokie licences from teh POW.

Bottom line is that in 10 years time the Power are going to have to increase their turnover by at least 50% to be competetive in eeh AFL (to over 30 mil) will they be able to do this based on their current business plan to creat one Port Adelaide (having to give 1.34 mill of that turnover to the magpies. Will the Magpies be able to function as a division of PAFC in 2020 on 1.34 Mill in the SANFL??

AFL is is business (one reason why I do not like it, and whilst the romantic notion to combine the clubs is appealling can it be the driver for the future financial security - I doubt it.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:16 am

Macca19 wrote:You raise a good argument re: looking outside the state for opportunities (which the club is doing with Darwin)

The population of the NT is less than that of the Southern Suburbs of Adelaide (City of Onkaparinga). IS that a good market to target? Also Micheal Long in the 80s and 90s saw the majority of teh NT market captured by Essendon

Which would be easier to serve??

yes The Dogs and North anren't the best examples but my point is it has helped them survive whenr ealistically tehy should've been dead 10 years ago.
am Bays
Coach

Postby Hondo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:22 am

am Bays wrote:proof 1 is Essendon, Hawthorn, Collingwood and to a lesser extent Western Bulldogs who have all over the last 1-20 years looked to grow their membership/supporter base in different markets not appeal to the same market. Essendon, Collingwood and Hawthorn have all thrived and improved their financial health. Western Bulldogs have been able to stave off financial extiction - what Port need to do.

The AFL have committed to 18 teams and abandoned previous policy of letting teams die. I think this is as much to do with the Bulldogs survival as anything else. I read a report 2 years ago that the NMFC were close to being technically insolvent but they continue, as do the Bulldogs, supported by the AFL's equalisation payments. The Brisbane Lions have clocked up over $5m of losses over the last 3 years apparently. They will be continue in the 18 team competition regardless as the overall pool of profit across all 18 teams is there.

Some clubs in any competition will always have the advantage of historical popularity. I would argue that Hawthorn still don't have the supporter base that their prolonged success in the 70s and 80s could have generated in the kids at the time. Why? who knows.

Essendon under Sheedy growing their popularity is an good case study I agree. But did Sheedy's strategy involve promoting the Essendon FC with all it's heritage or trying to hide who they were under a banner of the Northern Bombers? I think you can promote yourself to a wider audience whilst still retaining your identity. Having a PA heritage doesn't necessarially have to be the death knock of the PAP. Just IMO.
Hondo
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:27 am

Hondo wrote:If only 3% drop off because of the merger then I would speculate that > 3% would drop off if you dropped the link to PAM and re-named them the Adelaide Power. Again, this is personal speculation only. No-one has a crystal ball.

I agree they would lose in teh short term if that went for a broader appeal supporter base - but long term I bet they have a better chance for survival and I mean it would take time 10 years at least. As a SA Football supporter I would be happy for them to supporterd by the SANFL to help them broaden their support rather than appeal to a membership supporter base concentrated around the Le Fevre pensinsula
am Bays
Coach

Postby smac » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:29 am

Hondo wrote:The AFL have committed to 18 teams and abandoned previous policy of letting teams die.

They are only committed to the number of teams, not the existing ones. Just as they were happy to relocate Fitzroy to Brisbane, expansion to Tasmania may be easier with an existing licence. I wouldn't want to be the club in strife when the AFL decide a move to Tasmania is a good idea.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Hondo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:33 am

smac wrote:
Hondo wrote:The AFL have committed to 18 teams and abandoned previous policy of letting teams die.

They are only committed to the number of teams, not the existing ones. Just as they were happy to relocate Fitzroy to Brisbane, expansion to Tasmania may be easier with an existing licence. I wouldn't want to be the club in strife when the AFL decide a move to Tasmania is a good idea.

That would only be a team from Melbourne and based on what the AFL have previously said I don't think we'll see a team in Tasmania in the next 20 years unfortunately.

They tried as hard as they could to get NM to move to the Gold Coast and they couldn't get it done.

The AFL made $213m in 2009 apparently. I think things are going OK despite there being a mismatch between the rich and the poor.
Hondo
Coach

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:53 am

Biggest load of crap ever this thread, announced in a fortnight my arse.....took six weeks!! 8)
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL