SANFL crowd numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:52 am

PhilH wrote:
HOME GAMES
of the 9 clubs who regularly held home games, 6 had an increase over 2013, 3 (Central, North & West a decrease)

ALL GAMES
from last years 9 clubs, 7 had an increase per game home & away, 2 (Central & West) had a decrease.

Are you saying Phil is lying topsy?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby PhilH » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:56 am

No both are right,

Nowood home games include the ANZAC Day game which was held at Adelaide Oval... that was a Norwood home game.

Last Year the ANZAC Day game was held at Norwood.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:09 am

So topsy still isn't comparing apples with apples. Unless you remove the crowd from the Anzac Day last year
bennymacca
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:35 am

bennymacca wrote:So it seems team performance seems to correlate to crowds more tha baby afl influence which been positive in any event. Who would have thunk it.

In that case maybe you can explain the crowd at the Bay v Crows.
Bay's are a basket case and finished last but managed to get the biggest gate.
Coincidentally against the Crows on the day that Walker made his return.

It will depend on what you want the stats to show. If you want to show that things are going well then you can quote like Phil has done. (I know you are working on more detailed stats Phil).
But if you want a true picture then you need to look at exceptional events and make allowances for them. How many attended the Bays game for the return of Walker? In other words how did the attendance for that exceptional event compare to all the other attendances for the 8 Sovereign SANFL clubs v's the Crows. That average figure is a closer representation.

The same correlation should be applied to the ANZAC Day game at AO. It was the 1st game there since the new stadium so what effect did that have on the crowd that it won't have in future
Then there are the two Port v Crows games that do nothing for the SANFL. Any promotion of this game is purely for the benefit of the two AFL clubs. I'm not sure of any financial rewards to the SANFL ?
Finally you need to look at stats on what crowd figures were like for the 1st Crows encounter compared to the 2nd encounter for each club. I know North's was down for the 2nd game for example. This would give an indication of the "novelty factor"

These stats would give a clearer indication of this year and more importantly attendances going forward.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:43 am

bennymacca wrote:So topsy still isn't comparing apples with apples. Unless you remove the crowd from the Anzac Day last year

"Apples with apples"
"Cherry picking "

You're only a Pear short of a salad Benny ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby Apachebulldog » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:47 am

johntheclaret wrote:
bennymacca wrote:So it seems team performance seems to correlate to crowds more tha baby afl influence which been positive in any event. Who would have thunk it.

In that case maybe you can explain the crowd at the Bay v Crows.
Bay's are a basket case and finished last but managed to get the biggest gate.
Coincidentally against the Crows on the day that Walker made his return.

It will depend on what you want the stats to show. If you want to show that things are going well then you can quote like Phil has done. (I know you are working on more detailed stats Phil).
But if you want a true picture then you need to look at exceptional events and make allowances for them. How many attended the Bays game for the return of Walker? In other words how did the attendance for that exceptional event compare to all the other attendances for the 8 Sovereign SANFL clubs v's the Crows. That average figure is a closer representation.

The same correlation should be applied to the ANZAC Day game at AO. It was the 1st game there since the new stadium so what effect did that have on the crowd that it won't have in future
Then there are the two Port v Crows games that do nothing for the SANFL. Any promotion of this game is purely for the benefit of the two AFL clubs. I'm not sure of any financial rewards to the SANFL ?
Finally you need to look at stats on what crowd figures were like for the 1st Crows encounter compared to the 2nd encounter for each club. I know North's was down for the 2nd game for example. This would give an indication of the "novelty factor"

These stats would give a clearer indication of this year and more importantly attendances going forward.

JC you must also remember with the creation of the Crows back in 1990 and the Graham Cornes and Glenelg players connection back then most Glenelg supporters are Crow bandwagoners !!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby dedja » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:50 am

Well those 'bandwagoners' must have dropped off because there were about 3 Crows supporters at the last match at the Bay.
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby JK » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:52 am

dedja wrote:Well those 'bandwagoners' must have dropped off because there were about 3 Crows supporters at the last match at the Bay.

And the Parade last Saturday. In fact I think from the expected 8,000 at Norwood's 2 games v the Crows, we came up around 2,000+ short (I haven't verified those figures, Im waiting on a response from Mr Burtenshaw)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:53 am

dedja wrote:Well those 'bandwagoners' must have dropped off because there were about 3 Crows supporters at the last match at the Bay.

I think 1990 might be a bit too far back to use as target sample. Assuming anyone under the age of about 30 would have been brought up with the Crows.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby dedja » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:57 am

^ this
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 1024 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:25 pm

The point I am making is that you can't just not include the larger crowds for the crows and port games and say crowds are down, yet simultaneously argue that no crows supporters went to those games anyway.

Once again john to say that 6000 at Clare or whatever it was had less benefit to the sanfl than 1500 at South Adelaide is just pure silliness.

I do agree that there is possibly a novelty factor in play as well, but you guys are trying to pull anything out of the hat to justify your argument, when the reality, on at least crowd numbers, for this season, seems to be different.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:30 pm

why don't port and the crows play each other every week in a different regional location?

take the footy to the country community to continue their player development
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11912 times
Been liked: 3627 times

Postby johntheclaret » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:01 pm

bennymacca wrote:The point I am making is that you can't just not include the larger crowds for the crows and port games and say crowds are down, yet simultaneously argue that no crows supporters went to those games anyway.

Once again john to say that 6000 at Clare or whatever it was had less benefit to the sanfl than 1500 at South Adelaide is just pure silliness.

I do agree that there is possibly a novelty factor in play as well, but you guys are trying to pull anything out of the hat to justify your argument, when the reality, on at least crowd numbers, for this season, seems to be different.

Agreed. I'm not suggesting they are ignored. I'm suggesting that they should be discounted to reflect a realistic figure. What was Glenelg's average attendance without the Walker game and what was their attendance the 2nd time they played Adelaicde. This average is a truer reflection, not a one off event that distorts the overall figure.

Pro reservists like yourself seem happy to ignore these exceptional events and the distortion of the total count to support your argument that the inclusion of the reserves has been a success when a closer look at the stats might show a different picture.

A country game between Port and Crows is going to benefit the SANFL how?
Any new fans recruited are surely to support either of the two AFL clubs. You could go as far as saying that the SANFL might even lose out if example a young Sturt fan is converted to follow Adelaide Crows after going to the Clare game.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:20 pm

The biggest and most worrying trend imho is that I think at least 6 out of the 8 (?) proper SANFL clubs had a nearly 30-40% drop off of crowd from the first time they played the Crows to the second time, it's a trend for most sides including the teams that performed well which to me suggests there was a huge novelty factor in the first round of games, which has ended very quick and likely to spiral down over the next couple of years.

For this year to be a success crowd wise I would have wanted a much larger difference than the year before.

Throwing in the fact both AFL sides seasons are still alive into the last round of the year which won't be an occurance every year and will have an effect on SANFL crowds
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:13 pm

I think there was a crowd differential of around 7,000 between the tex game at Glenelg and the 2nd
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:16 pm

what was the decrease between the other anzac day game and the second round? what about all games?

not having a go genuinely want to know
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:32 pm

bennymacca wrote:what was the decrease between the other anzac day game and the second round? what about all games?

not having a go genuinely want to know

10,000 and then the re-match was 3k
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:36 pm

so we cant use novelty factor, on that game at least?

I am sure there is some novelty factor involved, no doubt, but I think a lot could also probably be explained by the second round of the season taking place in july and august.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:39 pm

also the re-match North v Norwood was on tv also.

the ANZAC day match was Adelaide Oval
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:48 pm

bennymacca wrote:so we cant use novelty factor, on that game at least?

I am sure there is some novelty factor involved, no doubt, but I think a lot could also probably be explained by the second round of the season taking place in july and august.

I think there is an 'event' / 'novelty' factor at an ANZAC Day game, if that game was played at another weekend still at AO I doubt they would have the same crowd.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL