The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Magellan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:47 am

It has probably been mentioned before, but seeing how the crows players went at SANFL clubs was a reason for me to keep interested. I used to check the scores of the random norwood game just to see how the crows lads have went.

Now I only have to go and check the crows reserves score (along with the centrals score too).

Checking the scores is one thing, but actually attending SANFL games to see how Crows players performed is another. I can't see how checking score updates pre or post the inclusion of AFL reserves teams influences or explains the trend of less people putting their arses on an SANFL seat.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby wild dog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:03 pm

Raise the bat Magellan, you made the double century.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby am Bays » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:04 pm

Booney wrote:So close....

made it!!

Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:12 pm

wild dog wrote:Raise the bat Magellan, you made the double century.

It really is an honour. To quote Kym Hodgeman, I'd like to thank my parents...especially my mum and dad.

But I can't take all the credit. So many people behind the scenes worked tirelessly and relentlessly to make this happen, like Rob Chapman and the 6 league directors.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby LPH » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:13 pm

Don't stop there, Lads.
Bradman & Taylor's 334 is the next milestone 8)
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby JK » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:15 pm

Rising Power wrote:
JK wrote:I'm pretty certain that Port don't pay the same fee as the Crows to play in the SANFL

The $400k is an annual licence fee for entering the SANFL competition. Port are/were an existing entity in the competition so no fee applies.

Initial terms:
Crows: http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2179/
Port: http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2228/

Wasn't arguing whether they should or shouldn't mate, just answering a question

(But FWIW, if Port arent paying the fee then they should be bound to the conditions of the "existing clubs", or cough up)
Last edited by JK on Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby wild dog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:18 pm

bennymacca wrote:Although Rucci is being deliberately provocative, I think there is one point he makes which does make a little bit of sense.

It is completely fair enough that a lot of people feel like their passion for the comp has been diminished because of the introduction of the Reserves teams, but complaining that crowds are down and will continue to go down and then not showing up yourself creates a self fulfilling prophecy.

SANFL teams arguably need their supporters more than ever, so I think a few of you are having a bet each way by complaining that crowds are going down, but yet not going yourself either, even to non reserves games.

Now a few of you probably arent reading this sentence because you are already frothing at the mouth, but I think there is also another reason why interest might be down. It has probably been mentioned before, but seeing how the crows players went at SANFL clubs was a reason for me to keep interested. I used to check the scores of the random norwood game just to see how the crows lads have went.

Now I only have to go and check the crows reserves score (along with the centrals score too).

Yes its a dilemma benny, one which appears as though you don't have to face with any real emotional investment. I suppose your posts are handy to demonstrate the disregard that so many of the AFL followers have for SANFL. The end of one of the oldest continuous surviving sport leagues, that some of us grew up in, participated in and now witness the demise of. This year on all levels, has been a farce. Rucci on the other hand sits in the winners seat, having watched his club not only betray the competition, but in the last couple of years, actively participate in its path to oblivion. This despite the fact that the SANFL bankrolled years of Ports losses. Its a very hard act to watch.

You're use the phrase "self fulfilling prophecy" incorrectly though. What many of the diehards are doing is more than a "cut your nose of to spite your face" act. Becoming a reserves competition to them is the end of the competition, its not the race for the premiership, and I totally understand and sympathise with their behaviour.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby cennals05 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:Although Rucci is being deliberately provocative, I think there is one point he makes which does make a little bit of sense.

It is completely fair enough that a lot of people feel like their passion for the comp has been diminished because of the introduction of the Reserves teams, but complaining that crowds are down and will continue to go down and then not showing up yourself creates a self fulfilling prophecy.

SANFL teams arguably need their supporters more than ever, so I think a few of you are having a bet each way by complaining that crowds are going down, but yet not going yourself either, even to non reserves games.

Now a few of you probably arent reading this sentence because you are already frothing at the mouth, but I think there is also another reason why interest might be down. It has probably been mentioned before, but seeing how the crows players went at SANFL clubs was a reason for me to keep interested. I used to check the scores of the random norwood game just to see how the crows lads have went.

The love and respect needs to go both ways. Members and supporters feel let down by their clubs. Their voices were dismissed when they raised their concerns and they are still being dismissed. Would you continue having a relationship with someone that always dismissed your opinions and concerns?

The competition doesn't stop being compromised when two non-reserves sides play. There are still 2 reserves sides playing on the same day. They don't just disappear. I don't even understand how this can be used as an argument. It completely misses the point of the entire Anti-AFL Reserves argument and is just a clutching at straws exercise by those that follow the Crows and Power that have a direct benefit from the Reserves inclusion.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby UK Fan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:30 pm

cennals05 wrote:Here we go again...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... a219e2bff8

I like this part...

SANFL crowds at the recently completed home-and-away series are down 13 per cent. Why?

Those without hidden agendas will note:

FANS do now compare the buzz of Adelaide Oval with all that is now seen as lacking at SANFL suburban venues. Some club leaders should spend some time on the terraces at Unley and Prospect to understand there is a problem.

No mention of his hidden agenda in writing the article.

And BTW what hidden agenda? NO AFL IN THE SANFL; I wonder what we could mean?
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby cennals05 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:37 pm

UK Fan wrote:
cennals05 wrote:Here we go again...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... a219e2bff8

I like this part...

SANFL crowds at the recently completed home-and-away series are down 13 per cent. Why?

Those without hidden agendas will note:

FANS do now compare the buzz of Adelaide Oval with all that is now seen as lacking at SANFL suburban venues. Some club leaders should spend some time on the terraces at Unley and Prospect to understand there is a problem.

No mention of his hidden agenda in writing the article.

And BTW what hidden agenda? NO AFL IN THE SANFL; I wonder what we could mean?

I only just noticed what Rucci had actually written. I had concentrated on the hidden agenda comment and missed the part about Unley and Prospect. Last week he tweeted that crowd behaviour at Unley and Prospect was a reason crowds were down. That is totally laughable. He really is clutching at straws now.

If Rucci could find me a supporter of the SANFL that does not support the Power or Crows that thinks the inclusion of the Reserves has been great then maybe I would listen to what he has to say. At least that person would have no hidden agenda. Until then his arguments must be dismissed as the completely biased tripe they are.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Postby bennymacca » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:49 pm

Magellan wrote:Checking the scores is one thing, but actually attending SANFL games to see how Crows players performed is another. I can't see how checking score updates pre or post the inclusion of AFL reserves teams influences or explains the trend of less people putting their arses on an SANFL seat.

I meant that as only one form of interest. Seeing AFL players in the SANFL was/is clearly a driver of interest in the comp, along with many other more important drivers, but I was just thinking that it has also had a small effect.

cennals05 wrote:
The love and respect needs to go both ways. Members and supporters feel let down by their clubs. Their voices were dismissed when they raised their concerns and they are still being dismissed. Would you continue having a relationship with someone that always dismissed your opinions and concerns?

yep fair point.

serious question - do you guys feel like your opinions were ignored? Or that they were heard but dismissed?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby cennals05 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:54 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Magellan wrote:Checking the scores is one thing, but actually attending SANFL games to see how Crows players performed is another. I can't see how checking score updates pre or post the inclusion of AFL reserves teams influences or explains the trend of less people putting their arses on an SANFL seat.

I meant that as only one form of interest. Seeing AFL players in the SANFL was/is clearly a driver of interest in the comp, along with many other more important drivers, but I was just thinking that it has also had a small effect.

cennals05 wrote:

yep fair point.

serious question - do you guys feel like your opinions were ignored? Or that they were heard but dismissed?

I don't because my club voted NO. If they hadn't would I still be going to the SANFL? Not sure.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Postby Ecky » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:35 pm

bennymacca wrote:

At the Glenelg "members information night" Chiggy's line was very much that I have made MY decision. We made it very clear to him what we felt in the meeting and also at the bar after the meeting but it was obvious that there was nothing we could have said that would have changed his mind.

PS I know this is a sample size of 1, but I went to 95% of Glenelg games between 2000 and 2013, and I have been to zero since then. It's got to a point where I don't always even know on a Saturday night if Glenelg has played yet or not that weekend, I've just lost all interest.
John Olsen, June 2012 wrote:"Reserves teams in the SANFL for the two AFL clubs is not negotiable.
We will not compromise the SANFL competition (with AFL reserves teams)."
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:44 pm

Ecky wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

At the Glenelg "members information night" Chiggy's line was very much that I have made MY decision. We made it very clear to him what we felt in the meeting and also at the bar after the meeting but it was obvious that there was nothing we could have said that would have changed his mind.

PS I know this is a sample size of 1, but I went to 95% of Glenelg games between 2000 and 2013, and I have been to zero since then. It's got to a point where I don't always even know on a Saturday night if Glenelg has played yet or not that weekend, I've just lost all interest.

Yep it appeared the whole time that those 'members information night' was a load of rubbish and it was clear there was a bigger agenda at play and that the deciscion had already been made
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby passionatelegsfan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:11 pm

It is really hard to maintain enthusiasm and passion when the competition is compromised like this. Even more difficult when the clubs compleltely disregard the wishes of their fans. Rucci's article was an absolute joke. suspect maybe he is a bit insecure about Port's future now the Magpies are dead and the Power are welfare dependant. He probably realises that the Power will be in the AFL for as long as they can be of use to the AFL but after that they will be gone and the AFL will not give a crap about their being no more Port Adelaide. Serves them right i guess for selling out the state!. Anyhow it is very sad seeing the demise of this once great league. Even sadder that it is being destroyed by the people who are meant to be passionate about the teams and looking after it. But because I have been a norwood supporter since I was a kid, i will continue to follow them whereever they play.
passionatelegsfan

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Rising Power » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:14 pm

JK wrote:
Rising Power wrote:
JK wrote:I'm pretty certain that Port don't pay the same fee as the Crows to play in the SANFL

The $400k is an annual licence fee for entering the SANFL competition. Port are/were an existing entity in the competition so no fee applies.

Initial terms:
Crows: http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2179/
Port: http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2228/

Wasn't arguing whether they should or shouldn't mate, just answering a question

(But FWIW, if Port arent paying the fee then they should be bound to the conditions of the "existing clubs", or cough up)

Just confirming your answer :)
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:34 pm

passionatelegsfan wrote:It is really hard to maintain enthusiasm and passion when the competition is compromised like this. Even more difficult when the clubs compleltely disregard the wishes of their fans. Rucci's article was an absolute joke. suspect maybe he is a bit insecure about Port's future now the Magpies are dead and the Power are welfare dependant. He probably realises that the Power will be in the AFL for as long as they can be of use to the AFL but after that they will be gone and the AFL will not give a crap about their being no more Port Adelaide. Serves them right i guess for selling out the state!. Anyhow it is very sad seeing the demise of this once great league. Even sadder that it is being destroyed by the people who are meant to be passionate about the teams and looking after it. But because I have been a norwood supporter since I was a kid, i will continue to follow them whereever they play.

I think Port will be around in the AFL for a long time to come.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby passionatelegsfan » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
passionatelegsfan wrote:It is really hard to maintain enthusiasm and passion when the competition is compromised like this. Even more difficult when the clubs compleltely disregard the wishes of their fans. Rucci's article was an absolute joke. suspect maybe he is a bit insecure about Port's future now the Magpies are dead and the Power are welfare dependant. He probably realises that the Power will be in the AFL for as long as they can be of use to the AFL but after that they will be gone and the AFL will not give a crap about their being no more Port Adelaide. Serves them right i guess for selling out the state!. Anyhow it is very sad seeing the demise of this once great league. Even sadder that it is being destroyed by the people who are meant to be passionate about the teams and looking after it. But because I have been a norwood supporter since I was a kid, i will continue to follow them whereever they play.

i don't reckon they will because the laws of economics don't allow corporations (or in this case a football team) to remain solvent if they cannot turn a profit. Just like many unprofitable local companies survive with government assistance, I have no doubt that Port will be propped up by the AFL for a fair while yet. But once the welfare is gone then what do Port do then?

It's just my opinion.
passionatelegsfan

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 6 times

Postby wild dog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:34 pm

cennals05 wrote:

The competition doesn't stop being compromised when two non-reserves sides play. There are still 2 reserves sides playing on the same day. They don't just disappear. I don't even understand how this can be used as an argument. It completely misses the point of the entire Anti-AFL Reserves argument and is just a clutching at straws exercise by those that follow the Crows and Power that have a direct benefit from the Reserves inclusion.

I get what you mean, it is a nonsensical argument . He does understand that though, he is just utilising an approach to gain popular support. It seems to be a common method in dismissing arguments which are complex in nature but the encompassing idea is clear. Like anti smoking and global warming, those who want to dismiss will pick out things like "my grandad smoked everyday until he was 100 and never missed a days work" or "its the coldest winter in 15 years, what global warming." Twitter makes it especially powerful to those with big numbers of followers, and in our case we are just being smacked about because the numbers against us are overwhelming.

As I have said before, we need members from three of those clubs who voted for the idea, to move a motion to withdraw support for the AFL reserves. Our club is doing all it can.
wild dog
Under 18s

Postby bennymacca » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:03 pm

passionatelegsfan wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

i don't reckon they will because the laws of economics don't allow corporations (or in this case a football team) to remain solvent if they cannot turn a profit. Just like many unprofitable local companies survive with government assistance, I have no doubt that Port will be propped up by the AFL for a fair while yet. But once the welfare is gone then what do Port do then?

It's just my opinion.

as much as i hate sticking up for port, they arent even close to being the least solvent club in the AFL. and given the afl are being paid over 400m a season they can afford teams losing money each year.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL