Magpies and Power merger to be announced in a fortnight.

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Magpies and Power merger to be announced in a fortnight.

Postby sjt » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:26 pm

Macca19 wrote:
sjt wrote:You guys lost me. What are the mistruths and lies, in the article?

1)
The Power did not care for the Magpies when it went into the big league in 1997

Pure unadulterated horse ****. Port Adelaide was the one who wanted the Magpies to remain in the SANFL. The other clubs attempted to stop the Magpies from competing in the SANFL and it was Port Adelaide who go the SANFL to agree that Port should have a presence in the SANFL. However, they wanted a situation like what will happen now. Two teams run seperately under the one club. Again, the split etc. was organised by the SANFL and the other clubs, not Port Adelaide.

Still a bit confused. I thought reading through a whole lot of previous posts, it was the "fault" of the SANFL that Port were retained in the SANFL. Port Power/Football Club were happy to move into the "bigger" league. I thought the SANFL wanted them retained, with conditions, such as not sharing the same facilities.
2)
But among the early requests from the Power front office will be another set of keys to be cut for the Prince of Wales Hotel. It can deny it until it is red in the face but this is a key component of the Power’s push for the merger.

The club has stated this was one of its aims previously. It has never denied that it wanted the POW. So again, bull ****.

Agreed. I can't recall the Power denying it. I think early it was announced as a key component. But I'm sure now, it won't be presented as a key component (even thouh we all know it is).

3)
The Power said it had a better business plan on the table this time. But does it?

How would he know if it isnt? Mischeivous comment.

I guess asking the question. Is it really a much better plan or is it the AFL influence. I would have thought it must be a better plan, with the expenditure cap to safeguard other SANFL clubs
4)
Don’t be surprised if the Magpies cease to exist in a few years.

Again, mischeivous comment. There is nothing to suggest that the Power will shut down the Magpies except for online chitchat. Im sure the SANFL will have something to say about it too.

Rucci said they definitively wouldn't exist next year, and possibly wouldn't see out 2010. Would you honestly be surprised if the Power "shut down" the Magpies in the next few years?
5)
They have introduced a rookie draft in March, so clubs prepare all summer and then could lose a key player on the eve of the first round.

Again, just plain bull ****. The PS/Rookie draft is in December and hasnt been held at the start of the new year for a long time.

I think you may be incorrect here. The draft mentioned I think refers to a new draft. A draft created by the AFL to allow their clubs to "trial" players as rookies, with no real committment to the player for a few months before discarding them. Hypothetically, a TY Allen could be at Richmond for a couple of months, with the prospect of being listed, but could be discarded early on in the season. In context, i think he was showing how AFL instigated changes are being made to the detriment of the SANFL. This could really make it hard for our SANFL clubs to manage their lists.
6)
The concern now is the merger will spark another push for the Crows and Power to have reserves teams in the SANFL.

Whilst true, it probably will, its the Crows that seem to be pushing louder for this to happen. A fact that is conveniently overlooked though.

I don't think either club really wants a reserves team. Not sure about "fact".

No talk of the potential positives of the move at all. Its a nothing piece, written by a nothing "journalist". And for all the legitimate **** that Rucci cops, when he writes something as spiteful and ridiculous like that about another club, you let me know!

Last edited by sjt on Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Reddeer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:40 pm

The Port club get their way again. Have their cake and eat it to. Not for long I hope. Just really goes to show how really p weak the SANFL is!!!
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby nickname » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:45 pm

Macca, when the AFL licence was granted, the Commission insisted that Port retain a presence in the SANFL.
nickname
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby JK » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:47 pm

Reddeer wrote:The Port club get their way again. Have their cake and eat it to. Not for long I hope. Just really goes to show how really p weak the SANFL is!!!

I would rarely defend the SANFL for their actions, but in this instance every club (including yours) had a say in the outcome, so Im not sure the SANFL should take the heat for it.

Every local club has to be vigilant in building their business to a level that could see them survive without an AFL dividend, because if that day comes (and it could, given how regularly big brother across the border alters the landscape) all 9 clubs will need to be financial enough to stand on their own two feet.

It's not as if the warning signs havent been there for ages, so hopefully all 9 can find a way
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby birdmanptr » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:47 pm

fish wrote:
whufc wrote:RIP SANFL :evil:

If this is true whufc, why did our SANFL club vote for it?

They are whimps,scared and have NO balls.All 8

AAMI stadium memberships will be interesting
ATTITUDE REFLECTS LEADERSHIP
birdmanptr
Rookie

Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby birdmanptr » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:52 pm

Macca19 wrote:No talk of the potential positives of the move at all. Its a nothing piece, written by a nothing "journalist". And for all the legitimate **** that Rucci cops, when he writes something as spiteful and ridiculous like that about another club, you let me know!

Thats cause this favours only one club how does the 2 ports merging help any one or thing other than the PAFC.
birdmanptr
Rookie

Postby topsywaldron » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Macca19 wrote:Partlands article was one of a scared little man with a chip on his shoulder about Port Adelaide and Victoria. Nothing more.

Typical Port, playing the man not the ball.

It's going to be fun when the Power remove funding from the Magpies when there'll be no one other than Port people to blame. How will South Australia's most famous sporting persecution complex deal with this hammer blow?

Hopefully a few right minded Port Magpies people oppose it tonight.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby topsywaldron » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:57 pm

Macca19 wrote:No talk of the potential positives of the move at all.

It's hard to put a positive spin on propping up two failed entities.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby Reddeer » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Constance_Perm wrote:
Reddeer wrote:The Port club get their way again. Have their cake and eat it to. Not for long I hope. Just really goes to show how really p weak the SANFL is!!!

I would rarely defend the SANFL for their actions, but in this instance every club (including yours) had a say in the outcome, so Im not sure the SANFL should take the heat for it.

Every local club has to be vigilant in building their business to a level that could see them survive without an AFL dividend, because if that day comes (and it could, given how regularly big brother across the border alters the landscape) all 9 clubs will need to be financial enough to stand on their own two feet.

It's not as if the warning signs havent been there for ages, so hopefully all 9 can find a way

I am very disappointed in my clubs decision. Especially in view of what was espoused just 7 months ago
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby birdmanptr » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:06 pm

Macca19 wrote: And for all the legitimate **** that Rucci cops, when he writes something as spiteful and ridiculous like that about another club, you let me know!

They are there on a regular basis Its just you choose not to see them.
birdmanptr
Rookie

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:08 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Macca19 wrote:No talk of the potential positives of the move at all.

It's hard to put a positive spin on propping up two failed entities.

Failed? Both have fallen on difficult finanical times, as North did, Sturt did/have, Norwood did. Why are they "failed"?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10816 times

Postby Macca19 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:12 pm

sjt wrote:Still a bit confused. I thought reading through a whole lot of previous posts, it was the "fault" of the SANFL that Port were retained in the SANFL. Port Power/Football Club were happy to move into the "bigger" league. I thought the SANFL wanted them retained, with conditions, such as not sharing the same facilities.

nickname wrote:Macca, when the AFL licence was granted, the Commission insisted that Port retain a presence in the SANFL.

This was a post written by Brian Cunningham and Greg Boulton put on the website and sent to all media outlets in the country in 2002, detailing the process what happened through that 1990-1997 period. Ive bolded the relevant bits:

3. Tender for second AFL licence

The SANFL set out certain conditions in a tender document issued to interested parties on 1 August 1994. These conditions included:-

--- The terms and conditions of the sub-licence would be negotiated between the SANFL and the AFL without club involvement.
--- The entity that was granted a sub-licence would be an autonomous body that would be subject to the ultimate control of the SANFL Commission.
--- Details of the offeror’s proposal would need to state what effect a successful bid would have on its team to be fielded in the SANFL competition and how this effect can be minimised.
--- The offeror’s view on the financial effect that a successful bid would have on its team to be fielded in the SANFL competition if a re-definition of boundaries to cater for an AFL team is applied.
--- The proposal of the tenderer had to include how the SANFL competition would be reduced to 8 teams.

Both the SANFL Commission and the Port Adelaide Football Club wanted to ensure that the tender process was both independent and without any conflict of interest.

The Port Adelaide Football Club lodged its tender document on 14 September 1994 and addressed the below issues that impacted on the SANFL competition and the Magpies.

--- The PAFC promoted strongly the idea of promotional zones with 4 SANFL clubs attached to each of the Crows and Port Adelaide.
--- The tender document strongly supported the continuation of the Magpies in the SANFL competition.
--- As part of the tender the Outback Odyssey would be run by the AFL club.
--- There was acknowledgement that to maximise the success of the Magpies it should operate as a separate organisation to the AFL club.
--- The document encouraged and promoted cross membership packages between the Magpies and the AFL club.
--- The PAFC tender document did not support nor agree to the pre-condition of a merger to create 8 SANFL teams was fundamental to the granting of the licence.

5. Negotiations with SANFL Directors and Commission re Magpies in the SANFL

- SANFL clubs lodged letters of concerns relating to the Magpies continued involvement in the SANFL following the entry of the PAFC into the AFL. These letters to the SANFL Commission strongly pushed the below points:-
--- The Magpies should not remain in the SANFL competition thereby enabling a reduction to 8 teams.
--- No joint administration facilities should occur.
--- The Magpies should not train at Alberton.
--- There should be no joint sponsorship and membership arrangements between the Magpies and the Power.
--- There be no common employees or Directors in both clubs.
--- Licence Club profit share tendered by the PAFC to the Magpies at 15% was too high.
--- The Magpies would have an advantage in recruiting players if linked with the Power.
--- The AFL facilities should not be accessible to the Magpies.
--- There should be no financial links, loans or any funding between the Magpies and the AFL club.

- The Port Adelaide Board in 1995 obtained legal opinions on the power of SANFL league Directors to expel the Magpies from the competition and were ready to defend this issue. The SANFL Commission was supportive of the PAFC remaining in the SANFL competition.

- During 2 months of negotiations and various SANFL Directors meetings, certain conditions were imposed in the sub-licence agreement that was signed on 26 November 1996. These included:-
--- No promotion or joint membership packages with the Magpies SANFL club.
--- No joint fundraising activities.
--- Any proposed joint activities between the SANFL club and the AFL club must be approved by the SANFL Commission.

- Separate resolutions of the SANFL Directors further imposed:-
--- The Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club must not train at Alberton.
--- The Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club must not operate administration from Alberton Oval.

Its something that a lot of people get the other way around, but the SANFL originally did not want the Magpies to continue in the SANFL.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:13 pm

birdmanptr wrote:
Macca19 wrote:No talk of the potential positives of the move at all. Its a nothing piece, written by a nothing "journalist". And for all the legitimate **** that Rucci cops, when he writes something as spiteful and ridiculous like that about another club, you let me know!

Thats cause this favours only one club how does the 2 ports merging help any one or thing other than the PAFC.

The business model is designed to ensure the SANFL no longer have to hand over emergency funds to either the Power or Magpies, time will be the only thing that can tell us the outcome of this, or Royal City......but all in all the SANFL believes ( or has been told to ) let the plan be put into action and run its course.

Obviously, like most on here ( well, all bar one ) we dont know the exact details, projections etc and we will let the fullness of time work it out.

Needless to say that if the vote was unanimous either there are some squibs in of the SANFL clubs or the AFL has much more power than we even already believe.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Macca19 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:19 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
Macca19 wrote:Partlands article was one of a scared little man with a chip on his shoulder about Port Adelaide and Victoria. Nothing more.

Typical Port, playing the man not the ball.

It's going to be fun when the Power remove funding from the Magpies when there'll be no one other than Port people to blame. How will South Australia's most famous sporting persecution complex deal with this hammer blow?

Hopefully a few right minded Port Magpies people oppose it tonight.

Im sure there are conditions and contracts in place that would limit the PAFCs ability to shutdown the Magpies on a whim.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby nickname » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:25 pm

"Details of the offeror’s proposal would need to state what effect a successful bid would have on its team to be fielded in the SANFL competition and how this effect can be minimised."

That seems to suggest they wanted a presence retained. Perhaps they wanted the tender to cover both scenarios.
nickname
League Bench Warmer

Postby birdmanptr » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:28 pm

Booney wrote:
birdmanptr wrote:

The business model is designed to ensure the SANFL no longer have to hand over emergency funds to either the Power or Magpies, time will be the only thing that can tell us the outcome of this, or Royal City......but all in all the SANFL believes ( or has been told to ) let the plan be put into action and run its course.

Obviously, like most on here ( well, all bar one ) we dont know the exact details, projections etc and we will let the fullness of time work it out.

Needless to say that if the vote was unanimous either there are some squibs in of the SANFL clubs or the AFL has much more power than we even already believe.

What i will find interesting is PAMFC memberships in 2011.Can either club get back in the black from where they are ?
birdmanptr
Rookie

Postby southee » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:42 pm

Agreed....a sad, sad day :(
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:06 pm

southee wrote:

Agreed....a sad, sad day :(

How so?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dog_ger » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:14 pm

The Black n' Whites should have never been kicked out of Alberton Oval in the first place.

Port Power should have begun from Adelaide Oval in the first place.

The SANFL management has made mistakes.

They are 2 seperate identities....? What?

I remember drinking at Alberton in the early days of AFL.

Watching Tim Evans and Co, laughing together, being proud.

But something made me feel uneasy. Something was not right.

The real Port was kicked out.

Is it now time for a teal something on the old Port Magpies jail jumper?

If only Port Power could drop the teal and play in the prison bars.

We messed up West Torrens.

Lets learn by our mistakes.
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Postby birdmanptr » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Dog_ger wrote:The Black n' Whites should have never been kicked out of Alberton Oval in the first place.

Port Power should have begun from Adelaide Oval in the first place.

The SANFL management has made mistakes.

They are 2 seperate identities....? What?

I remember drinking at Alberton in the early days of AFL.

Watching Tim Evans and Co, laughing together, being proud.

But something made me feel uneasy. Something was not right.

The real Port was kicket out.

Is it now time for a teal something on the old Port Magpies jail jumper?

If only Port Power could drop the teal and play in the prison bars.

We messed up West Torrens.

Lets learn by our mistakes.

They are the PAFC
birdmanptr
Rookie

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL