Search found 81 matches

Return

Re: The 2014 season no AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

The SANFL is not dead, 38K to the GF is healthy and the GF was a good spectacle.

The issue for me is that the 10 teams are not playing on equal terms. Port and the Crows operate under different conditions (and this year to each other) to the 8 SANFL clubs.

Unfortunately, the AFL teams requirements for a reserves side and maximising the selection of AFL listed players, and the ideals of the SANFL to have an equal and fair competition are impossible to achieve together.

Add in the presumption of the SANFL and the clubs that voted for the inclusion of the AFL that the participation of the AFL clubs in the SANFL is required to maintain sponsorship, media and spectator exposure. This is the killer for me. Without this presumption, then we could have just included the AFL reserves sides in the SANFL reserves and I wouldn't care less whether the competition was compromised or was won each year by an AFL club.

Unfortunately, now that the AFL clubs are in the SANFl, they're not going away in a hurry.

Perversely, one could somewhat justifiably mount an argument that the inclusion of the AFL sides this year has either been a resounding success or somewhat a failure, depending on what lens you are looking through.

My 2c is that the SANFL and the 8 SANFL clubs each should state what they consider the consider to be the KPIs and success factors for the competition and their individual clubs, because at the moment most of us aren't sure what they are. Due to this, we all seem to be guessing what defines success, and this breeds conspiracy theories, personal prejudices, not wanted to concede that the world has changed, etc.

Also, whilst I don't like what has happened to the SANFL in 2014, I don't think taking it out on the supporters of the AFL teams is good for anyone. In particular, the Port Magpies supporters who must feel somewhat wedged between their tradition and the new world (note that collective terms such as wharfie, scum, etc are acceptable if used in a generic sense). Conversely, it does no good if the same supporters gloat about everyone else catching up when they themselves didn't do any hard yards to obtain their unfair advantage, or even acknowledging that they have an unfair advantage, which isn't diluted if they don't happen to win the flag.

You can't really blame the administration of the AFL teams either. Their concern is about the welfare of their clubs, which is exactly what the SANFL clubs should be doing.

I also believe you can't blame the SANFL clubs themselves. By this I don't mean the Presidents who voted on the AFL proposal, but the CEOs, office administrators, volunteers and players. This is why I increased my involvement and financial contribution to my club, because the need for assistance is currently at its greatest.

I know there are a few that have decided to decrease or withdraw their involvement, support and financial contribution to their club and that is their right to do so, but t pains me to see this occurring.

The responsibility for the inclusion of the the AFL teams in the SANFL falls squarely on the SANFL commission and SANFL Directors. They had the power to not only decide whether it happened at all, but the terms and conditions on any acceptance. It is the duty of all to discuss and try to influence our Presidents to ensure that we not only are appropriately informed, but are seen to be appropriately informed. I know there are those that will say that they tried this before to no avail, but ultimately the club's members have control if the constitutional tools are used correctly and effectively. If you strongly disagree with the decisions of your President (and therefore your Board), then vote them out.

Regardless of which side of the argument one may sit, there can be not doubt that everyone isn't a winner and there are opportunities to improve the situation.

What is now required is a clear strategy to manage the SANFL competition so that the competition thrives within an even and competitive environment.

This is where I struggle the most because for the moment, I can't see the forest for the trees for that strategy.
by dedja
Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 SANFL Schedule

So South have lost Good Friday to the Bays. Thanks a ******* lot.....we were the ones who took it on, shit like this pisses me
by westcoastpanther
Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2014-2015 20/20 Whinge Thread

No need to move on. The more teeball is played the faster everyone sees it for what it is and the sooner the novelty will wear off. Happy for it to exist to pay the bills as long as it can. My only whinge is that as a sports fan January now sucks balls. FFS put a few Shield games on.

regards,

REB
by Rik E Boy
Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: New Zealand vs Sri Lanka 1st Test Hagley Oval Christchur

Sangakarra or Gilchrist

All bias aside I reckon Sanga has him covered due to the fact he batted higher up the order and generally has come in at worse situations in test cricket than Gilly

Gilly more destructive and entertaining to watch though
by whufc
Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aus v Ind Test Series

Personally Starc has the most upside and is the best long term option out of him and Siddle so he gets the nod, I would love to see Starc play the MJ role of short, fast, aggressive spells with a licence to drop it in real short at these pea hearts.

I haven't put a line through Starc just yet

If the series was still up for grabs and it was Harris or Hazelwood injured I would play Siddle out of them two.

I also agree Behrendorf is defiantly one for the future along with Nathan Coulter Nile if he can stay fit
Starc is Bracken Mark II, great white ball bowler but not test standard. For a bloke his build and pace he should be leaving blokes black and blue yet he bowls like a pussy. Unless he gets some anger in him he wont have a test career. Pattinson, Cummins and Bird all have him covered
by Jim05
Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Aus v Ind Test Series

i dont think it is through a lack of coaching, i think fielding is as good as it has ever been as an overall average - i very much doubt you will find anyone that isnt a half decent fielder these days.

we probably just lack those world class fielders.

ponting, waugh, taylor are as good as the game has ever seen, so its a bit unfair to try and compare any of the current crop to them.

a few really bad ones in a row can make everything look worse than what it is.
by bennymacca
Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Kane Cornes' book

Surprised, very selfish
Not sure I wold say someone attempting to enter a career where saving lives is the #1 priority as selfish.

I did hear he missed the North game a few weeks back due to an exam or test of some kind. The AFL and it's clubs can't go on about how hard life is after football for players, and then block guys close to retirement who are trying to sort their post-football lives out.

Why did he commit himself to this season then? Im sure it just hasn't happened in the last month. He has denied a youngster being brought into the club and starting his career. When things get tough this year can other players just quit also?
by Dutchy
Wed May 13, 2015 10:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I disagree the comp was on a downward spiral in the last few years.

I reckon it was in trouble .. As I said to a mate on Friday night I think it was broken, but not beaten. Now I reckon its pretty much fugged.
by JK
Mon May 18, 2015 12:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 Ashes

LBW shout given not out first ball after lunch, Aust. Review.
Plumber than Watson's, what a ******* joke

Thought it was leg side ish live and I thought decision was fair enough
But thats where the problem is, Watsons was clipping leg by 1mm but it stayed with the umps call. Id rather they get rid of the umps call crap, if its out its out, shouldnt revert back to umps call.
In that case both would of been out today

Umm isnt the idea of the review system to get rid of the "howlers", umpires calls are not howlers. Its just the rub of the green how it goes, this match has gone with England.
Tests wouldnt last 2 days if everything nicking the stumps was given out
by daysofourlives
Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If your bat movement goes from mid-wicket to gully you aren't going to have much success other than providing the slips with catching practice.

What happened to playing the "v" early in an innings?

The most disappointing shot was Clarkes. 5/29 and an out of form skipper chases a full wide one and "nick"....it was a stinker of a shot and the sign of a man not comfortable at the crease at all. His half pull a few balls before further evidence he simply isn't picking it up out of the hand.

Burns, Head, Abott and Coulter-Nile need a look in before too long.

I like your ins...... Clarke, for me the ball was there to hit, in good form he smashes that to the boundary, but he is no where near good form. I reckon his eye's are gone.

The batters were not playing the ball late enough. All of them were reaching for the ball in front of their pads. Good players, play it late.... in those conditions it meant by playing late you will probably play (late) and miss a bit.... but it's better than the catching practice our blokes gave last night.
by Corona Man
Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

^ makes for some very sad reading. I hope the selectors are aware of all these stats, and while it is unrealistic to make wholesale changes now, clearly we need to get the broom out. Have to agree with Bumble, if Siddle doesn't get a game on that pitch, he is never going to get a game. Personally I don't think we can play Johnson & Starc in the same team, they are too similar, so no variety there. Our batters were found out in the conditions. I am a firm believer that you best batter, bats at 4..... S. Marsh is NOT our best batter. Other than last night Rogers has been the rock, now he is almost on the eve of his last test match, so where to from here at the top of the order??

I think the biggest worry is not the lack of variety between Starc and Johnson but more the fact that they leak runs so you can't have them bowling together.

Hazelwood has been disappointing this series too, none of them can keep the pressure on, and I think most of us underestimated the value of harris and even Siddle for doing that for us.

I agree with you on Starc/Johnson, yes they both leak runs, for the same reason.... they are trying to produce wicket taking balls every delivery...so in that sense they don't have variety. The loss of Ryan Harris has now become oh so apparent. Siddle is unlikely to run through any team, but he will keep the runs in check, and he always gives you 100%. I'm predicting a CA review into the series when they get back home....much like last time we played over there.... for me time to move a few blokes on, and time to bring a few blokes up. I would like to see Smith bat at 4, and build the team around him in a sense. Warner stays, but needs a new opening partner, and we need a rock solid #3.... it's too late for Max Klinger, but that type of player.. Smith 4, Clarke 5, Head or Burns 6, Neville 7, Johnson 8, Coulter-Nile 9, Hazelwood/Siddle 10, Lyon 11....I'm sure there are a few other candidates out there, but it's time for Watson, Haddin & Rogers (though I want him to stay) to go... M.Marsh needs to either hold his spot as a batter or a bowler & the other string is a bonus. S. Marsh perhaps 3 season of 1,000+ domestic runs (like a few others had to produce) before he gets a look in.
by Corona Man
Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The 2015 Attendance Comparisons Thread

Jake Parkinson will be able to quote key indicators such as website activity and media interest increasing - everyone's interested in how quickly the thing is falling apart.

yep, because spending a couple of minutes checking your sides team before the game (because of the dearth of info now in the paper, and who would buy that anyway?) and then another minute sunday evening checking the results is really putting money in the clubs coffers. it is by far the best indicator of the health of the competition.....

/sarcasm
by tipper
Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yep, all well-documented.
That article just reminds me of why those three blokes have personalities that I don't like.

There must be some truth to the accusations about Clarke, he's made some questionable decisions over the years around team ethic.
Symonds is a bloke who clearly doesn't learn from his mistakes and is happy to place all the blame elsewhere.
And, Haydos is a bloke who likes to twist the knife, even when it's not necessary. Why did he have to come out and say those things? It does him no favours.
Pretty crap form from Symonds especially after Clarke helped save his career and also from getting his head kicked in
by Jim05
Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The best Aussie captain of the modern era?

Taylor gets my vote. A great tactician and a respected leader.
by Q.
Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not quite on topic - but related. Will be interesting to see how Freo's plan to rest numerous players in the last round impacts Peel Thunder, who have qualified for their maiden finals appearance which commences this week. From memory, Peel are the WAFL club aligned to Freo. Peel will deserve what they get for selling their soul, but what a farce it could turn out to be!
by Hazydog
Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hawthorn 2015

If Goodes did what hodge did the media and social media would have exploded. Good old hodgey gets of Scott free! Piss weak!

Hodge= good knock about aussie bloke
Goodes=Flog

There's the difference
Yeah hodge is a stand up bloke! :shock:

How many times has Goodes been in trouble with the law?

Because drink driving isn't flog like behaviour.

I know for a fact the Goodes does not like the Boooooze :lol:
by wristwatcher
Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NFL Season 2015/16

Well done to Jarrad Hayne on making the roster but the real season begins now not running against 3rd string defences. See how he goes when he faces Seattle's Legion of Boom twice a season.

Not happy with 7 mate by the looks of their programming

Looks like they are going to show the 49ers each week. They will be terrible this year.

Might have to take out NFL game pass to watch Raider games this year. I know we have sucked for a while but other teams are worse and they get air time.
by FOURTH ESTATE
Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Port supporters, like all football supporters, have an element of very fickle fans. Every club does, it's undeniable.

The reason Port fans weren't going to West Lakes is because :

1) We were shit through 09/10/11
2) We were playing a shit style of football
3) Because of 1) and 2) we got the worst draw as far as time slots went in the history of the world. Rightly so. You play shit in front of shit crowds you don't get prime time slots. In 2012 I remember having 5 of our 11 home games at 12:40 Sunday and 3 at 4:10 Sunday. It was horrible.

Rucci, as far as I can see here, is completely wrong. I don't know anyone who stayed away because of the administrators of the time.
by Booney
Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:19 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2015 SANFL Broadcasting

Triple M are giving away tickets to the GF and broadcasting it too.
What a farce.
They dont want nothing to do with the comp all year and then jump onboard for the GF.
Accidently heard about 5 minutes of the pre game yesterday and the commentators were clueless. Turned it off when they started rambling on about the AFL Prelims and who was going to win the AFL GF
by Jim05
Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NFL Season 2015/16

HH3 wrote:Got $5 on Torrey Smith for first TD in the SEA V SF game...roughy for the week.

They should honour the bet as "next SF to score a TD- any game this year..."
by Punk Rooster
Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Player Movements - 2015 / 2016

Don't blame Centrals for being angry, this is exactly what Adelaide did to West Adelaide when they tried to poach Porplycia, I know West were hopping mad over this...simple lack of respect.
by Jackal
Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fox Footy- History Month

Watched 80's games and yeah there are some great games. In the 90's I found fitness and football tallent met right in the middle and it was a perfect mix. I could and still can sit down and watch any game of footy and be glued to the screen. Now not so much unless it's my team or a block-buster game. I actually find watching an Amateur game more enjoyable than 95% of AFL matches I see now.
by LaughingKookaburra
Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Fox Footy- History Month

LaughingKookaburra wrote:In the 90's I found fitness and football tallent met right in the middle and it was a perfect mix.

Agree 100%. Also had the right amount of physical aggression and contact, which has gone from the game now.
by Magellan
Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australia vs India ODI squad

The problem with any sort of rankings is that Australia India and England have basically hijacked world cricket and they will always prefer to play each other than to play an even amount against other teams.

Ideally you would play 5 one dayers and 3-5 T20 home and away against each team. Maybe a 4 year period. Then you could have say a 4 way tournament to play off for the top 4 and this could replace the champions trophy.

Every tour I would love to see us play some games against the associate teams, like we did against Ireland when we were last in England. For teams like UAE Afghanistan et al it would be great for their development.

We could even send a second team to these countries or play against them in Darwin and cairns.
by bennymacca
Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian ODI Squad for NZ tour

I cant believe anyone thinks the right decision was made.
The umpires gave it not out, The kiwis didnt review the decision in the allotted time available to them to call for a review. They did not believe it was out.

That is the extent of the rules, no more, no less.

The 3 umpires should be sacked and never umpire international cricket again.

As for McCollum, spirit of the game, my ass!!

When was the last time an umpire gave a batsman out LBW, and as he's walking off the replay shows he hit it and the umpire calls him back??? Exact same thing
by daysofourlives
Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Surely tha SANFL is not wavering on new rule change

What impact will it have on the players ability to run out games? If there's 4-5 boundary throw ins per quarter ( at a guess ) that's 4-5 lots of 15-20 seconds to suck in some big ones.

Me, I think it's a ridiculous rule that belongs to round ball games like soccer and basketball, the unpredictable nature of the bouncing footy will make for some stinking "turnovers".

What happens if the umpire isn't sure who touched it last, do we have a ball up? ( **** me, let's call it a jump ball )

Simply sick of rules being introduced to counter the games tactics, the game evolves constantly and the style used to win games 5 years ago would be useless today. Looking at AFL level, the way West Coast played in '06 would get smashed by the way West Coast played in '15.

Rubbish rule, you think it will help save the SANFL? Oh dear...
by Booney
Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

One thing i find humorous about the new rules is this.
the SANFL believe that less rotations & stoppages will create a more open game.

Surely if you look at it logically it will be the opposite?

The new rules are, I assume designed to create more fatigue?
Doesn't it therefore make sense that with more fatigue will come more errors and opportunity to create a stoppage? Doesn't it also lend itself to coaches playing a more possession driven game once players are fatigued, which inevitably will slow the game down as guys are again, fatigued?

I would love to see coaches make a gentleman's agreement to play "80's/90's" style Football, but i think you will find the win at any cost nature of the industry will see a just as slow, potentially more error ridden match!

As for the out of bounds rule..... Boundary throw-ins are part of the unique nature of the great game that is Australian rules football! leave it alone!
by teaoby
Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

What I loved most about the nineties and early bough ties was that ever club had their own style the tried to implement

The 02 Sturt vs Centrals gf was a classic of that

These days everyone just plays follow the leader and try and copy the same style the top side is playing

Eventually some one will work it out and then everyone will move on to following that style of footy
by whufc
Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Booney wrote:She "asked" for a tip? LOL.....

Yes. I nearly said "find another job"

Aussie Food and beverage workers expecting tips.......this should be in the Shits thread!
by heater31
Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Songs about Australia

I'm fair dinkum - John Williamson
Boys from the Bush - Lee Kernaghan
The Outback Club - Lee Kernaghan
She's My ute - Lee Kernaghan
Raining on the Rock - John Williamson
Streets of your town - Go Betweens
Stompin Ground - Warumpi Band
Pub with no beer - Slim Dusty
Lights on the Hill - Slim Dusty
Cootamundra Wattle - John williamson
The Breaker - John Williamson
The Aussie BBQ song - Frankie Davidson

Christine Anu's version of My Island Home is banned at my place - "Down here living in the city vs Down here West of Alice Springs" give me a break - why ruin perfection Christine???
by am Bays
Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Brodlach wrote:My wife and I have both had funeral plan telemarketing calls on our mobiles the last couple of weeks

Tell them it's not a "funeral" as such, but you have a body to get rid of and is there any chance they help you?
by Booney
Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 4 discussion

Reckon it's a shame. The fairest way to split two teams that are level after 120 minutes is to have another full 120 minutes. 5 each way makes it awfully flukey. Loads of benefits from that extra match. All the media must have loved it. The MCG and AFL would have gotten more money and loads of fans got to go to a game they wouldn't have been able to. Maybe a bit rough on St Kilda fans paying twice and not winning, but if you can't afford to go you can always stay home. In the future, the AFL could have taken the chance to play the grand final elsewhere the second week if there was a non Vic side playing.
by Grahaml
Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Daylight savings, it's like The Walking Dead at work this morning.
by Wedgie
Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The inquest/witch hunt going on about Phil Hughes death. This isn't soon anyone any good. No it's not the fault of the NSW Blues for their tactics. It's not Doug the Rugs fault for any comment he may or may not have made.

Lawyers getting richer and for what?
by RustyCage
Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The inquest/witch hunt going on about Phil Hughes death. This isn't soon anyone any good. No it's not the fault of the NSW Blues for their tactics. It's not Doug the Rugs fault for any comment he may or may not have made.

Lawyers getting richer and for what?
They are focusing totally the wrong area...they need to be looking at medical facilities and response action plans at First Class venues. Not if Doug the Rug said he was going to kill someone.

Having said that, I don't think anything medically would have saved poor Phil. I recall at the time an article uncovering medical records of a similar incident before helmets were common place.
by heater31
Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2016/2017

Ferguson would and should be ahead of Head for Test selection. Head is a bit like Maddinson from NSW - goes hard and that's it. Should be good for one dayers and T20 but unless he transforms (which he very well could as he matures) I'm not sure he's got what it takes for Test cricket (at this stage). Would like to see him get picked though, he's exciting to watch.
by Aerie
Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rule Changes 2017

Please just leave the f**king game alone.
Except the deliberate rushed point. Absolutely cowardly and should be punished far harsher

Why? You already get a point for doing nothing.
But teams use it as a ploy to rebound with a quick kick in and score quickly.
I'd be happy if we went back to waiting for the goal umps to wave the flags on a deliberate rushed point
by Jim05
Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer

Bombers4EVA wrote:
whufc wrote:Love Bill Lawry giving the Adelaide fans stick for slow clapping Renshaw!

100% deserved

He's a spud too. Where's all the positive talk coming now? Only hear the negative stuff. Piss weak commentating.

Piss weak was booing a debutant who was literally playing the match winning innings
by whufc
Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Controversial Run Out

Yeah it's an interesting one.

The third umpire got it correct to the current laws. (By the way, well done to Nigel Long for sending it upstairs, most umpires would have given it a simple not out on field as it seemed obvious he was home).

The laws changed some time to say once you've made your ground, if you're running naturally, you're considered in your crease. This came about as a result of slow mo cameras showing both feet to be off the ground at the same time while simply running, which clearly isn't meant to be out when the laws of the game were written back in 18-dickety-2. Essentially the laws were "modernised" to keep up with technology and maintain the intent they were first written.

For mine, the interesting one is when a batsman dives to make his crease, and the bat "bounces". Often you now see the third umpire heavily scrutinizing footage to determine when the bounce either started or finished, and where this coincides with the bails being removed. For mine, that's not the intent of the law, and should be reconsidered.

I'd like to see the law along the lines of "once you've made your ground, you're considered in your crease unless you voluntarily* leave your crease" - the current caveat of "avoiding injury" should also remain.

* - this probably isn't the correct word, as a stumping where a player overbalances isn't voluntary, but should be out - but hopefully you get what I mean.

The above would have seen Wagner considered safe, and that's the intent I believe the law was originally written with.
by Trader
Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

I have always felt Smith was harshly dealt with by Aussies who seemed ready to knife him far too easily. Today I walk away from him. He is clearly not ableader of men and should be sent home along with Bancroft who will cop a suspension. And now it puts into perrspective his head shaking every time hes dismissed and the use of referrals when hes plumb. It also sheds light on his looking into the dressing room after being given out in India. The guy is a modern day WG Grace.
The ONLY saving grace is he fronted a presser and accepted responsibility...unlike dePlessis who holds similar undesirable traits as Smith but has never accepted fault for his or any od his team mates misdemeanours.
by northerner
Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Tour of South Africa

It should be the end of Smith as captain and boof should get sacked.

smith yes, boof no. Had nothing to do with boof, the leadership group admitted to hatching the plan without the coaches knowing.

Smith and his dickhead vice captain. Never again can Australia claim the high moral ground on ball tampering, we're as much cheats as any of them. Again if Smith had a sound head as his 2IC this may well not have happened, he however has Warner. How he thought this was a good idea is deadset flabbergasting and not the actions of someone you want as a Test captain. Fuc****s.
by Grenville
Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: State of the game

I like the idea of team prior opportunity. Where the guy that goes in and gets the footy is still protected as they are currently but as soon as disposes of it to a team mate he must kick or handball otherwise it's holding the ball.
Also if you watch 70s and 80s ball ups and throw ins the ball is put back into play immediately by the umpire no waiting for 5 to 10secs for 32 players to get there. If they change no rules at least go back to this so there's little time to set up defensively
by daysofourlives
Thu May 03, 2018 9:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: State of the game

How many times does the player know he's had no prior opportunity so just absorbs the tackle without really trying to dispose of it?
Maybe if you are caught with the ball regardless of prior opportunity its holding the ball.
That'll do 2 things...reward a solid tackle and, the players will tend to tap it into space releasing a runner. Ala Cyril.
Just a thought.

No.

The only thing this achieves is rewarding the second person to the ball even more than they already are now.

Just no.
That's what the game is about. Reward a solid tackle. The first to the ball has to make the decision as to whether he takes possession or taps it to a team mates advantage.
Smart footballers are brilliant at this. Ala Cyril, diesel, a and d Jarman and many others.

So the handful of players that would be "brilliant" at it will mean it will be a more entertaining game? What about the bottom 10 in each team, are they just tapping it around to each other too scared to pick it up as they'll give away a free in their defensive 50?

At no point should rules be encouraging people to wait for someone else to pick the ball up. The game is about rewarding first to the ball, if they then don't get rid of it then it is about rewarding the tackler. We aren't playing British Bulldog FFS.

I bet you enjoyed Dangerfield "winning" a free kick for a ruck infringement didn't you.
by Zelezny Chucks
Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final teams.

I can't understand how the SANFL is being labelled as the chief villain. The main party at fault is Norf, it is their responsibility to have the correct number of players on the field. The Eagles should have looked at the rule book and demanded the count, but the SANFL is the last of the 3 parties (or 4 if you want to include the umpires as separate) to be held responsible.
Agree SANFL have set the rules are they are in black and white. North failed to comply by having too many players on the ground. Eagles didn't follow the correct process. Play on.
by Senor Moto Gadili
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019 AFL mid season draft

So, from next year there is an AFL mid season draft. Teams can take SANFL players mid year.
Essentially, SANFL top players from the real clubs could end up playing for the Crows or Port SANFL teams mid year.

In theory, the SANFL could lose a dozen or so of its best players mid year.
Another nail in the coffin for the competition......... :(

From my understanding the ‘mid season draft’ is actually open from Dec to March so isn’t exactly the middle of the year, but any SANFL clubs will still be
a little disadvantaged just before the season starts..
Nup, it is mid season.
AFL clubs will be able to rookie draft players from December to March AND also midseason.

Rightio, I stand corrected then. As much as it sucks for the SANFL Clubs, I would never begrudge any player that takes up the offer of an AFL club. It’s every clubs job to develop players and have them get the best out of themselves. If things don’t work out, hopefully the environment of the SANFL club ensures they return to them. So I don’t mind the idea

Tired of this attitude .. Responsibility to develop players in preparedness to play at the highest level they can? For sure, but NOT at the expense of the club. Between seasons no drama. Putting 1 or 2 individuals ahead of the club will kill the club eventually - How long will people continue parting with their hard earned through membership, sponsorship or attendance when their reward for the club doing the right thing in development could destroy its entire season?
by JK
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TDK's International Test Cricket Update's

While it is true the batsmen do get all of these things, how often does it actually delay the bowling side? More often than not the batsman is still ready to go before the fielding side.

Even still, they now give an extra 30 minutes to get the overs in. That means the batsman are delaying the game for a full minute every three overs? I don't think so.

A few concussion tests and say 2-3 DRS reviews would be the bigger items delaying the game rather than batsmen changing gloves between overs.
Throwing the ball back to the keeper in the 47th over when the batsman has pushed it to mid off for no run is pet hate of mine.
by Lightning McQueen
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eagles seeking compensation

I think they should just move on and forget about it.
As mentioned new coach, new year, new start.

It’ll get drawn out and just be a distraction anyway.
by amber_fluid
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL 360 - (and other Foxtel footy programs)

Corona Man wrote:Open Mike with Razor Ray Chamberlan very interesting insights.

Normally love open MIke but didn't watch this one. Way too much air time for an umpire.
by beef
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you are looking forward to

Kids footy starting up this week, unfortunately my sons coach had a massive heart attack last week and will be out of action for some time so Mr Stupid will be filling the role for the interim.

Tough first up game but a chance to go to an oval that I haven't been to before, something I enjoy, I can't go to a country town without looking for their local ground for a drive by.
by Lightning McQueen
Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL week 8 - A round of consummate pertinence.

Ablett not even cited.

Rules for some and rules for others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Nothing in it clearly. Just an honest good Christian elbow to the head lol.

Being serious I thought it was less of an impact than last week.

Absolute joke not to be found guilty last week even if only a fine let alone not even be cited this week
And I will call out that I personally think G. Ablett is a champ and the best I have seen in my time..

Reckless..... Yes
High contact..... Yes
Impact....Low to medium
Outcome.... At a minimum it is guilty and probably a fine last week but a game for the exact replica incident this week as he hadn't learn't.
What will it take, a fractured eye socket or something ?

The North Melbourne lad gets a game for a clash of heads with Rohan after tucking up well to bump in the act of a shepherd ( that art is gone now too !! )
Yes yes yes he chose to bump.
Ablett chose to jump off the ground again and raise his arms and make head contact.. Twice now !!!

Well, the AFL have absolutely guaranteed one thing.

The booing of a Ablett will continue bigger and stronger.
Not about his faith beliefs but because there clear evidence in this that he is being treated more favorably than others !!!!

Spot on NK
The inconsistencies with the rulings continue to broaden and become more mystifying by the week.
The AFL are all huff and puff when it comes to clamping down on dangerous actions. They just want a bit each way it seems
If its a no name nobody player they make an example of them but if its a high profile player they duck for cover and come up with all sorts of PISS WEAK excuses to avoid a backlash but at the same time they just dig themselves into a deeper hole.
Mark Robertson summed it up perfectly last night on AFL 360 on both the non reporting of Ablett and Fyffe along with the brain fade of Rampe climbing the goalpost.
by jackpot jim
Tue May 14, 2019 11:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |