Search found 354 matches

Return

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

I'm enjoying these "This Is Your Life" style posts from Bays fans. :lol:
Seriously though, I can completely relate, and did the exact same thing when Sturt broke the ice in 2016 and I finally had the good fortune of being there and seeing it.
It brings home the meaning of a SANFL flag for so many, and I cannot help but reflect on what it meant for me back then. Regardless of the distractons that threaten to disenfranchise, the SANFL still remains as a competition for the people. Where those with early memories watching Aussie Rules at their own home grounds can expect to turn up and enjoy the spectacle of the last hit-out of the season. Watershed moments like the Bays this year, capture some of the old fervour for SANFL footy, that gripped our city for over a hundred years. The connection remains and hopefully continues to perpetuate with upcoming generations. My 8y/o is certainly aware of who the good guys and bad guys are in the SANFL. On Sunday, he knew Glenelg were the good guys.
But just for a short time.
by therisingblues
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Actually, we've made a mistake! I just realised now, so it's good that we're having this discussion.
It's actually 21 years since Port got their last SANFL flag. You see, we need to include THIS year.
Let's work with a much, much, much smaller number, so it's easier to understand. Let's say the number "2", which represents the number of years since Sturt won the flag.
Now that number is much, much, much smaller than the 21 which represents the number of years since Port won the flag, so it makes it easier to understand how we need to include the current year in our calculations. For example, it would be wrong to say Sturt has not won the flag for 1 year, as that would imply we are the reigning premier.
Anyway, must go now. Always nice to chat, and clear up any misconceptions in "common knowledge" hey?
BTW, 21 years is a bloody long time, isn't it?

So by your reasoning you are counting the year of last premiership (1999) as 1 and the current year (2019) as 21, that adds up. Wouldn't that in fact make Sturts last flag 3 years then, by your logic of course, not 2 years, the much, much, much smaller number you refer to? (2017) being 1, Sturts last flag and (2019) being 3, the current year.

Still 20 for mine.

I bet you subscribe to the Terence Howard theory that 1 x 1 = 2
You're right!
:lol:
You HAVE thought about this haven't you?
by therisingblues
Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

DOC wrote:The AFL have asked the SANFL to:

Remove the last touch out of bounds free kick.

Increase the 25 metre penalty to 50 metres.

Reduce the salary cap.

Any information on WHY exactly the AFL wants the salary cap reduced?
by therisingblues
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: End of season Retirements and move ons

Lets get back to business!! Go through every club from top to bottom and look at the players that are departing the SANFL for country footy and $$$$ for the third year in a row, and then look at the ins at clubs. Very few ins and massive outs. Some clubs have grabbed a few disenchanted players from other SANFL clubs but the comp gets weaker by the year. Do yourself a favour and scroll back over the past 3 years and see the decay we call the SANFL. Not just country clubs although they make up a large percentage but the ammos get a few as well.

Also with Jack Trengrove going straight from an AFL list to an ammo club should probably raise a few eyebrows as well
Agree with points made by both posters here. The accumulative effects of the AFL's policies to the SANFL seem to be growing more obvious.
We've been told "careful what you wish for" while asking for the reserves to get out of the competition, I can't see how much worse it could be than what is actually happening right now.
by therisingblues
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |