Search found 3 matches

Return

Re: ATCA 2013/14.

Was disappointed all A grade games got called off. Surely at that level the fitness of the blokes should be good enough to have no concerns for their health. Geez I remember Valentines Day 2004 where it was a ridiculous temperature and we all played and were fine just ad a lot of extra drinks breaks and finished later. I can understand the lower grades and juniors etc. where preparation may be off, but A1's to A4's surely not. Anyway just my opinion.

I do however understand it is the lawyers fault for their new age litigate against anything mentality when there is half a sniff of some compensation which has forced the ATCA's hand, I just think it is sad that a summer sport cannot play its game in summery conditions. Was a beautiful day for cricket wasted.
by rainbow warrior
Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ATCA 2014/15.

Had a good coach for quite a few years (Scott Jones) and a guy who organised them off-field (Paul Volkov) but I believe once those guys have moved on it's slowly fallen over

Spent 14 years of my life playing for this club and am devastated by this. Came down to a lot of us older blokes who had done stuff for many years and run the club not being able to any more for various reasons and typical of the younger generation not many people interested enough to continue and run it the way a club should be run. I didn't play there last season but has been a few seasons in the making. Members still need to vote on it at the meeting I believe but cant see it surviving if not enough are willing to put in to run it. Scott Jones and Matthew Loveder have been trying their best to get more involved but just hasn't happened. Too many just want to play for a club and don't want responsibility of running the club they play for. As I said typical of younger generations.

Numerous other things have contributed too with Adelaide High being a cricket school, most of the juniors played for district sides and many after making friends there stayed there so we didn't have new blood coming through. Didn't pay players either (couldn't afford to) and don't know if that helped or hindered, although I am always of the view paying players for amateur cricket is a joke.

Also after the last B grade flag which was a side made of mainly veterans and not much youth, many of these guys retired directly after that flag leaving a large talent gap thus the clubs recent struggles.

Getting sponsors either was not easy, not affiliated with any community really and relied on members such as myself to sponsor to keep the club afloat even if there was little commercial benefit from such things.

All these things add up but again very sad state of affairs losing the club I gave plenty for, emotionally, financially and as a player, treasurer and committee member in the past and am very sad that this is going to occur.
by rainbow warrior
Fri May 08, 2015 1:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

There is an on-line petition if you want to support the clubs involved or should I say clubs affected...

https://www.change.org/p/keep-west-torrens-district-cricket-club-port-adelaide-cricket-club-as-stand-alone-clubs?recruiter=514601657

I signed this. HAve no affiliation with either club other than playing against them both 16- 20 years ago. Such clubs with such long history should not be forced to make these decisions on a whim by SACA.
by rainbow warrior
Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |