Search found 69 matches

Return

Re: 2022 SA Country Football Championships - Whyalla

Shoe Boy like a lot of us is probably trying work out what benefit a metro league like the SFL gets out of playing in a Country carnival. Other than the maroon coats puffing chests out looking all important../

Sooner SFL is put into the Adelaide Footy League the better

So, scrap the whole of team playing on Saturday for the disjointed juniors on Sunday, Seniors on Saturday? AdelFL would be the worst option for the SFL.

It's no coincidence that teams like Brighton are experiencing a disconnect between juniors and seniors. Kids don't invest in their club and move to play with mates at the drop of a hat, there's no connection with seniors team when you can't stick around for the late game

In regards to the State Champs, ask the blokes that play for Southern how they feel about it. Pretty sure your boy Galley would be a big fan, given he played State Country and all
by wenchbarwer
Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Player taken with each pick in the AFL Draft

Ok that makes sense because my recollection was from the moment he got to Norwood he was gun.....albeit there was a period where they didn't know if he was a forward or a defender.

Would have been surprised if he slipped to 70's based on what he did at Norwood.

Pretty sure he was the second youngest player behind Ken Farmer to kick 50 goals in a season
by wenchbarwer
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: retirements and upcoming signings

Munn's talent/ability has never been questioned. If centrals can get him motivated/fit he will be more than handy at this level.

Never been questioned?

In his last stint at League level, over 8 games he averaged 0.3 goals, 6.1 touches and 2.9 hit outs as a key forward.

Massively over hyped IMO.

Good luck with that! :lol: :lol:
by wenchbarwer
Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Reallocation of boundaries

SANFL are basically saying dont do any hard work developing participation rates in your zone any more as we will use that to benefit the lazy clubs
You can't be serious, South have been just as active, if not more so, in junior development as Glenelg have.

The way the Glenelg school comp fell to bits about 8 years ago was embarrassing, not sure that's putting time or effort in
by wenchbarwer
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Great Southern Football League

field of dreams wrote:How many points would those 4 be?
5+3+3+3?

Using Mt Compass math, that would be a total of 3
by wenchbarwer
Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think there's going to be some interesting revision on this subject come this time next year
by wenchbarwer
Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

azza1719 wrote:Bit surprised by Coff returning to Centrals. Attitude and faking injuries to avoid training has been an issue in the past, hopefully all that stuff is behind him and he has a good crack at it this time around

I'm surprised they even bothered bringing him back, he's miles off it
by wenchbarwer
Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Southern Football League

shoe boy wrote:Why is Southern sporting pulse the only league not showing APPS ?

Can anyone supply total APPS for each club.

Might be a good opportunity for the $Hoe$ to fill an U17.5 team, then.

Splash the cash on the lower grades, so they can have a proper competition, aligned with the seniors.
by wenchbarwer
Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:28 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Divers wrote:Double cause we have 2 u17 teams, just shows where juniors want to play

Also goes to show how much effort your mob put into your juniors, seems to be a program on the rise
by wenchbarwer
Fri May 05, 2023 9:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SFL have always listed tribunal results weekly.
It would appear transparency is an issue this year including APPS.

https://websites.mygameday.app/assoc_page.cgi?c=0-6133-0-0-0&sID=394399

Yeah, real transparent, they don't even include names...

Speaking of transparency, can you enlighten the rest of us as to how your club aims to restore some decency to the U17.5 competition?
by wenchbarwer
Fri May 26, 2023 1:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide

gazzamagoo wrote:We'll have him thank you!

He'll be a great get for the Dogs
by wenchbarwer
Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2024

Hardly short at 178cm and strongly built. Finds the footy in close, and uses it well. All of those attributes place him ahead of plenty who have been drafted before him.

He's short by AFL standards. And 75kgs is barely "strongly built", he'd get monstered by AFL inside mids.

As others have pointed out, he butchers the ball. He'll go down as a Sturt great but clearly there's reasons why he's never been listed.
by wenchbarwer
Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2023

Was surprised Port might want to trade a Brownlow medallist.

Looked it up and a fair few Brownlow medalists have been traded after winning the medal

-Tom Mitchell
-Gary Ablett
-Adam Cooney
-Ben Cousins
-Chris Judd
-Jason Akermanis
-Gavin Wanganeen
-Greg Williams
-Tony Lockett

There was no way on God's green earth that Wanganeen was traded by Essendon. Absolutely no way did the club want to lose him
by wenchbarwer
Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:21 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Surely Tom Lewis is a definite to go? I really didnt realise how good he is til the back end of this season.

I just don't get the "Lewis for AFL" hype.

He's not quick, is short, and tackles. How that's applicable to the modern AFL game is beyond me. Tsitas is a better version, and he can't get a game at the Suns.

He's a gun SANFL player, and there's no shame in that.
by wenchbarwer
Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NRL

I still can’t get over that last 25 minutes by Cleary, I can’t recall a better performance from a half in a GF, WOW

Line break for Leota to score.

40/20 in the next play to get territory and set up the Crichton try, nails a tough kick from the sideline.

Takes the Reynolds drop out on the full to get a 20 restart and again command the territory.

Breaks the line and scores himself.

No Yeo inside. No Luai outside.

1 man dictated to 25 others what happened in the last 25 minutes of a Grand Final. Amazing.

Did all of that with a PCL strain, too. Has a resume at 25 that most players would sell their left nut to have for a career.

Tago & Sorenson were also off, watching the most amazing spectacle from the sidelines
by wenchbarwer
Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League - Division 7

The Bedge wrote:Grown bored of the Brahma bashing - not as much fun when no one from their club is on here to reply anyway.

Well, that was quick, and unsatisfying. Hope this is out of the norm for you...
by wenchbarwer
Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2024 Adelaide Footy League - Division 7

What message does that send the kids? At such a young age.. that they can run around the next 10-12 years with zero loyalty demanding top dollar as an average footballer?

Honestly, I always thought playing for big bucks was something you did after you won a few flags, played several seasons at your local club and were looking for a easy gig in your late 20's. Not fresh out of junior grades...
by wenchbarwer
Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2024

Integrate SANFLW into the comp possibly the replace the reserves.

You had me up until this point. This is what the VFL did and it killed their comp.
You lose the pathway from U18 to League with no reserves. How do you transition to playing against decent men's teams without it?
As far as costs go, most weren't getting paid during the COVID years either, so costs would be minimal. A lot of clubs encourage or insist senior players get sponsorship as well, so you lose that income straight away.

The rest of your points are valid, but removing the ressies in favour of the SANFL would be a fast track to failure.
by wenchbarwer
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

whufc wrote:Yeah surely if a proper AFL reserves come in it will be genuine reserves games before the AFL games to keep it simple.

You're making a huge assumption that the AFL deal in common sense...
by wenchbarwer
Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

dedja wrote:Perhaps learn how to quote so we have some chance to understand what you're on about. :-s

I gave up trying to work it out...
by wenchbarwer
Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAFC 2024

dedja wrote:Delivery my arse Jim, admit it was a Gaydar date.

He never actually said what he was delivering...
by wenchbarwer
Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFLW 2023

For me, a good commentator is someone who just calls the game - throws in the odd stat or trend, senses changes in momentum or big occasions and doesn't try to go over the top.

BT, Slater, Warne - struggled to listen to these blokes coz it's mostly was/is just waft..

Warney was a terrible commentator, just harped and harped on a point if he thought he was correct.
by wenchbarwer
Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

whufc wrote:Time to seriously inflate batting averages this summer.

Lil Davey will get a bucket load of runs and both he and Candace will head off into the sunset with a massive "TOLD YA SO" to the rest of the country...
by wenchbarwer
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Time to seriously inflate batting averages this summer.

Lil Davey will get a bucket load of runs and both he and Candace will head off into the sunset with a massive "TOLD YA SO" to the rest of the country...

Going to see plenty of slow mow highlights of Davey jumping in the air giving it a punch. Will the background music be coldplay, temper trap or powder finger.

It'll be something humble and understated, knowing him
by wenchbarwer
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sportsbet offered $5.50 for 2 of Warner, Labuschagne, Smith, Babar to hit 100 in the first innings this test.

Just hope one of Labuschange and Smith get a bat. :lol:

It could end up like that 12th Man skit about the Aussies Playing Sri Lanka in a ODI

Aussies ended up at 3/570-odd :lol: :lol: :lol:
by wenchbarwer
Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The Bedge wrote:**** him anyway :lol:

More of this
by wenchbarwer
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's for lunch?

Booney wrote:In the warmer months I'll bring in a full Wog Boy lunch, crackers with salami, ham, olives, pickled onions, pickles, cheese of two or three types, cherry tomatoes etc.

Sure you're not a Melbourne supporter?
by wenchbarwer
Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you are looking forward to

Booney wrote:Awful song.

Wrong thread, "Things that give you the sh1ts" is that way :arrow:
by wenchbarwer
Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:I'd rather spend Xmas in Gaza.

I'd rather spend 6 months in a leaky boat
by wenchbarwer
Wed Dec 20, 2023 1:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Brodlach wrote:5:31 tonight for 2.5 weeks of well earned holidays, one of the busier working years I’ve had with many 6-7 day working weeks

Woke up this morning, turned the alarm off. Then disabled it, such a good feeling!

That said I'll probably be wide awake at 6 tomorrow morning...
by wenchbarwer
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What Are You Listening To Now?

Happy Gravy Day @Booney
by wenchbarwer
Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What's for lunch?

Couple of slices of pizza from Atlas Continental in the markets.

Perfect way to end the work year, and not a supermarket smallgood in sight!
by wenchbarwer
Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Cricket Commentators

Hayden is as bad as has ever been, dude, calm the f*ck down.

Langer faps on about the baggy green when only 466 Australians have had the honor of wearing it and he carries on like we know what it's like.

They can both go and get f*cked.

He's on the human version of caps lock.

You have a microphone, champ, we can all hear you, no need to yell.
by wenchbarwer
Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you sad.

I don’t think they are too dissimilar.

Kids could save $5k a year just by doing what we kid as kids. Take your lunch to work and don’t spend $150 a month on an iPhone 15 pro max when an iPhone 8 will do.

I’m with you.
Daily coffees, brand name clothes, yearly holidays(most overseas), every concert that comes, every sporting event, etc etc

Stop all that or at least limit it and you’ll have a deposit on a house.

Median house prices at $700K - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-07-29/sa-median-house-price-reaches-new-heights/102664602

$10K per year savings, 10% deposit, that's 7 years. 20% deposit is 14 years. And they'll have no way to service a loan that big either. It ain't easy
by wenchbarwer
Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you sad.

woodublieve12 wrote:Good luck getting that when you apply with 50-100 applicants...

But it's easy, you just go and apply. That's what I did when I was renting
by wenchbarwer
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: WEIGHT LOSS + the challenge

another grub wrote:what about Tzatsaki?

Is that the young kid Essendon drafted last year?
by wenchbarwer
Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

What is the standard price of a 'city' pint these days.

The everyday price we have at our local for a XXXX, GN, West End etc is $8 but still have the old Friday Night happy hour for $5.

I dont drink too much these days so no idea how that compares.

I get pissy if it's over 10 bucks, but normally between $9 and $12.

Some places do a good Friday drinks deal, Harry's Bar has $7 pints, wine & base spirits between 4 and 6
by wenchbarwer
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

whufc wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Still made everyone pay to get in today at full price

As silly as the decision is they didnt make anyone do anything did they????

I would have said "Thanks, but no thanks", and made my way to the nearest pub
by wenchbarwer
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Joseph currently averaging 51 with the bat and 18.8 with the ball. Not a bad start to a career for a number 11!
by wenchbarwer
Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Latest lists:

Adelaide
COMING
Chris Burgess (Gold Coast/West Adelaide), Daniel Curtain (Claremont), Charlie Edwards (Sandringham Dragons/Sandhurst), Oscar Ryan (Murray Bushrangers/Shepparton United), Tyler Welsh (Woodville-West Torrens), Toby Murray (Wangaratta), Steve Burton (Gawler South), Darcy Clifford (Langhorne Creek), Jayden Davis (Prince Alfred OC), Austin McDonald (Central District/Barossa District), Sam Daniele (Broadview)
GOING
Matthew Wright (retired/assistant coach at Adelaide), Tom Doedee (Brisbane), Andrew McPherson (delisted), Jackson Hately (delisted/Essendon VFL), Tyler Brown (delisted), Shane McAdam (Melbourne), Paul Seedsman (retired), Tariek Newchurch (delisted/North Adelaide), Isaya McKenzie (retired/Willaston), Louis Sharrad (retired), Jaidan Kappler (Bordertown), Blayne O’Loughlin (North Adelaide)

Central District
COMING
Kai Pudney (Woodville-West Torrens), Kade Dittmar (East Perth), Jake Gasper (Port Melbourne), Wilson Barry (Brisbane Lions VFL/Morningside), Maximus Monaghan (Belconnen/GWS VFL), Jack Callinan (Tassie Devils/Clarence), Dayne Posthuma (Queanbeyan/GWS Academy), Harvey Howe (Gippsland Power/Traralgon)
GOING
Justin Hoskin (retired/Willaston), Luke Habel (retired/Salisbury North coach), Dylan Weaver (Gumeracha), Shay Linke (Roxby Downs/employment), Chris Olsson (Tea Tree Gully), Fletcher Carroll (Albury), Will McCabe (Hawthorn), Liam Fawcett (Richmond), Austin McDonald (Adelaide SANFL), Rhys Cannizzaro (Nuriootpa), Blake Launer (Eudunda/Robertstown)

Glenelg
COMING
Will Gould (returned/Sydney), Chris Curran (returned/Prince Alfred OC), Nick Stevens (North Melbourne VFL/Geelong), Oscar Adams (returned/St Kilda), Lachlan Schulz (Uraidla), Jacob Eats (Bordertown), Darcy Porter (Carlton VFL/VFA), Sam Smith (Glenunga), Sam Dunn (Angle Vale), Declan Carmody (Mt. Lofty), Lachlan Hall (Calder Cannons/Aberfeldie), Jack Bond (Geelong Amateurs)
GOING
Toby Pink (North Melbourne), Luke Partington (travel), Brett Turner (Work/Echunga), Brodie Newman (Aberfeldie), Lewis Rayson (South Fremantle), Jordan Moore (Woodville-West Torrens), Ashton Moir (Carlton), Bodie Ryan (Hawthorn), Jack Yates (travel), Brady Searle (West Adelaide)

North Adelaide
COMING
Tariek Newchurch (returned/Adelaide), Cody Raak (Western Bulldogs), Sam Ramsay (South Adelaide), Blayne O’Loughlin (returned/Adelaide), Austin Harris (Essendon VFL), Luke Fellows (Turvey Park), Brad Ashcroft (Turvey Park), Ethan Weidemann (Turvey Park), Ewan Mackinlay (Lavington), Luke Lawrence (Mangoplah/GWS Academy), Kym LeBois (returned), Frazer Driscoll (returned/Nhill)
GOING
Aaron Young (retired/Keith), Cameron Craig (retired/Keith), Andrew Moore (retired), Jesse White (retired/Broadview), Kane McAuliffe (Richmond), Harper Montgomery (GWS VFL), Ben Jarman

Norwood
COMING
Mitch O’Neill (South Adelaide), Billy Cootee (Essendon VFL), Ben Simpson (North Launceston), Jordon Boyle (West Adelaide), Cooper Murley (returned/Collingwood), Alastair Lord (returned/Essendon), Joeve Cooper (Murray Bushrangers/Shepparton)
GOING
Nik Rokahr (Swan Districts WAFL), Matthew Nunn (retired/Payneham), Mitch Wilkins (retired/Myponga Sellicks), Cam Ball (Rostrevor OC), Michael Stingel (North Launceston), Kobe Tozer (West Adelaide), Lachlan Pascoe (Golden Grove), William Rowlands (Gold Coast), Josh Richards

Port Adelaide
COMING
Ivan Soldo (Richmond), Jordon Sweet (Western Bulldogs/North Adelaide), Brandon Zerk-Thatcher (Essendon/Sturt), Esava Ratogolea (Geelong), Tom Ansastasopoulos (Geelong Falcons), Lachlan Charleson (Greater Western Victoria Rebels), Will Lorenz (Oakleigh Chargers), Xavier Walsh (East Perth)
GOING
Cam Sutcliffe (retired/assistant coach at Port), Tom Jonas (retired), Orazio Fantasia (Carlton), Riley Bonner (delisted/St Kilda), Xavier Duursma (Essendon), Trent Dumont (delisted), Brynn Teakle (delisted), Nathan Barkla (delisted/Woodville-West Torrens), Anthony Wilson (Melton South)

South Adelaide
COMING
Arlo Draper (returned/Collingwood), Callum McCarty (Essendon VFL/Strathfieldsaye), Jake Arundell (Box Hill Hawks), Finn Emile-Brennan (Casey Demons/Dandenong Stingrays), Ethan Roberts (Inner West Magpies AFL NSW), Hayden Kernahan (Returned/Adelaide SANFL), Harvey Lambert (Sacred Heart OC), Oscar Lovelock (Sacred Heart OC), Darren Walters (West Adelaide/Port Noarlunga), Alex Habib (Kangarilla), Dylan Draper (Brighton Bombers), Zac Earl (Glenelg U18), Bailey Pilmore (Aldinga), Noah Goldie (Henley), Corey Grocock (Happy Valley), Dayne McGary (Returned/Brighton)
GOING
Bryce Gibbs (retired/Victor Harbor), Matt Broadbent (retired/Henley), Matt Rose (retired/Port District), Joseph Haines (retired/Port District), Zac Sproule (Port Noarlunga), Mitch O’Neill (Norwood), Ely Smith (retired/injury), Sam Ramsay (North Adelaide), Kim Kantilla (Tiwi Islands), Ben Heaslip (Victor Harbor), Jack Delean (Fremantle), Taylor Goad (North Melbourne), Harrison Gunther (Bordertown), Koby Cockshell (Mount Barker)

Sturt
COMING
Will Snelling (Essendon), Flynn Perez (North Melbourne), Sam Conforti (Essendon VFL/Bendigo Pioneers), Morgan Ferres (returned/Gold Coast VFL/Bond University)
GOING
Patrick Wilson (West Adelaide), Marty Frederick (Claremont, WAFL), Josh Rentsch (Penshurst, Victoria), Loch Rawlinson (West Coast), Will Crane (Imperials Murray Bridge)

West Adelaide
COMING
Patrick Wilson (Sturt), Brady Searle (Glenelg), Tom Rundle (returned/Surfers Paradise), Kobe Tozer (Norwood), Lachlan Williams (Encounter Bay), Sam Davidson (returned/NT), Xavier Hampton (Gepps Cross)
GOING
Jonathon Beech (retired/Barmera-Monash), Michael Mattingly (returned to Victoria), Kaiden Brand (indefinite leave), Nick Steele (Port Noarlunga), Owen Mulady (returned to Victoria), Rhys Nicholls (Queensland), Frane Babic (Manly), Jordon Boyle (Norwood), Nic Couroupis (Henley), Bailey Chamberlain (Henley), Kane Sherlock (Henley), Kye Roberts

Woodville-West Torrens
COMING
Cameron Fleeton (GWS), Josh Morris (returned/Hawthorn), Jarrad Redden (returned/Southern Eagles), Luke McKay (Narrandera/Canberra Demons), Jack Boyd (Werribee), Nathan Barkla (returned/Port Adelaide), Jordan Moore (Glenelg)
GOING
Jimmy Toumpas (retired), Daniel Menzel (retired/Coorong Cats coach), Rory Lehmann (Coorong Cats), Jesse Lonergan (retired), Kai Pudney (Central District), Riley Collier-Dawkins (Williamstown), Clay Cameron (Redland-Victoria Point, Queensland), Lachie Hoile (RSMU), Tyler Welsh (Adelaide – SANFL Rookie Program)
by wenchbarwer
Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide

I think if the Crows want to be a progressive, ruthless, successful AFL team, someone has to take Sloan aside and say "Thanks, but no thanks".

I thought 2022 should have been his swansong, and I get that he's great for culture, but you can do that in an assistant coach capacity, too.
by wenchbarwer
Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gaza FC - Salary Cap Breaches

Footy Chick wrote:That's fine, but if you're making these statements we just generally would like you to back them up so Griffen doesn't turn on us :lol:

I dunno about you FC, but I love it when someone actually ponies up with some evidence!
by wenchbarwer
Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Booney wrote:25th Wedding anniversary today.

Congrats! But you do get less time for murder, these days... :D
by wenchbarwer
Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I've got you fam

Gaza Football Club president Don Rosella denies all salary cap breach allegations at SANFL tribunal
Gaza Football Club’s president has answered allegations his club had deliberately flouted player payments up to 169 times over four years.

Daniel Renfrey

The Gaza Football Club’s president has denied all allegations the club breached salary cap regulations over a number of years in a tribunal hearing with the SANFL.

Eagles’ president Mr Don Rosella, who is facing a potential 10-year suspension from holding an official role with a SANFL affiliated club, denied involvement in or knowledge of any of the nearly 170 allegations.

Represented by lawyer Greg Griffin, Mr Rosella told Justice Michael David KC he was shocked by the statements six players had provided to the SANFL claiming weekly overpayments of up to $600.

On Monday, the SANFL, represented by lawyers Andrew Culshaw and Garry Paladins, alleged Gaza had deliberately flouted SANFL Community Football and Adelaide Footy League salary cap and player payment rules and regulations up to 169 times between 2018 and 2022, at one point spending over double the salary cap allowance of $2500 per week.

Mr Rosella, who became president of the Eagles in 2020 and has been privy to the club’s financial accounts since 2021, said the money could not have been sourced from the club.

“I’m alert to money going out of the club’s accounts and the money coming in from sponsors,” Mr Rosella said.

“It absolutely could not have come from the financial resources of the Gaza Sport and Community Club.”

Mr Rosella also revealed the financial hardships the club had been through since Covid, and claimed any money alleged to have been used in payments of players would have been spent in other areas.

“We have accumulated a debt of nearly $80,000,” he said.

“I’m flabbergasted – I never saw that amount of money and I would never agree to that.

“We had so many pressing issues at the club, if I had seen that amount of money in the club’s accounts I would have spent it on other issues, not on giving players extra money.”

Mr Rosella denied being part of any alleged meetings with players and other officials to discuss extra payments on top of recorded contract payments.

He also denied allegations of upfront payments made to former players, claiming the $4000 concerned was a loan made to a player experiencing a personal predicament, which was never repaid to the club.

The tribunal hearing between Gaza and the SANFL will continue today with an outcome expected.

Not sure the last line in the article gives us any visibility as to when this saga will end...
by wenchbarwer
Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

There will be some very nervy presidents and committee members come out of this.
I mean it's a lot of breaches but gee a lot of clubs would be in similar territory for sure.

If the dollars being splashed about at Port Noarlunga are lead to be believed, they would want to be holding more than a music festival...
by wenchbarwer
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I don't want to be the one that sounds like an arsehole.. but.. why should the SANFL or anyone else go easy on them, or be lenient?

Through this whole fiasco - before and during - they had the opportunity to co-operate, come clean, admit guilt and work through it. Was talk of large portion of the fine being suspended if they complied.

Instead they hired a lawyer, fought it, declared innocence until the 13th hour and now people are starting to think poor Gaza can't have them fold?!

You make your bed you lie in it.

100%.

That side of town is as competitive as it gets for players, you see the usual movement every year between the same group of clubs.

If one club is going way beyond the rest, then tough luck if they get caught.
by wenchbarwer
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

Brodlach wrote:
Vamos wrote:Is Scooby Doo getting some re-runs? Just read "Jeepers" twice in posts.

Jeepers. Did I say it both times?

Zoinks
by wenchbarwer
Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2023/2024

Armchair expert wrote:8 catches for Carey

First class record in an innings is 7, wonder what the List A record is?

Edit - Google is a wonderful thing!

Carey is now the equal record holder - https://www.espncricinfo.com/records/mo ... ngs-283805
by wenchbarwer
Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North Melbourne

Booney wrote:North have sacked him.

Better late than never, I guess
by wenchbarwer
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |