Search found 25 matches

Return

Re: Unlucky

Mike Veletta played 8 Tests for a batting average of 18.81 (compared to his FC average of roughly 41), so I doubt he was really up to standard.

He got a good run in the 87-88 season playing all of the home tests and from memory didn't score above 40-50.

He then played the first two tests against the Windies in 88-89 as number 3 (while Dean Jones was dropped) and was solid but again break that 40 run barrier.

Still obviously on the selectors' radar he toured England in 1989 but didn't play any tests as the dominant Aussies bats were unchanged all series. He then played one more test in 89-90 when someone was injured and that was it.

As you said, he never seemed up to standard despite being more opportunities than others received without delivering a big score.

Robbie Kerr as a comparison played 2 tests in 1985-86 with similarly poor results and was never considered again.
by Hondo
Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Diary of some pregnant blokes

We had our third boy 2 weeks ago :)
by Hondo
Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:59 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hogg Shield Grand Final Thread 2014

Finished up with 2280 after 2 donuts, a pathetic 21 from Shenton and 26 from Fantasia on the forward bench.
Enough for a comfortable win over Has Been who suffered with the late outs of Murphy and Franklin.
Getting the captain right with Selwood sealed the deal.

Congratulations to our new Premier League premier! Well played interceptor
by Hondo
Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SuperCoach finals game

There is a SuperCoach finals game for anybody interested. 11 players to field with a salary cap of $4m. Unlimited trades each week as the number of teams available to us to use drops and changes each week.

SAFooty.net league code : 690800

All welcome. There seems to be no limit on the number of teams in a league.
by Hondo
Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Retirements - 2014

I'd rather be Brisbane than Richmond right now. Some real list cloggers in that Tiger line up, good enough to keep them mired in mid table mediocrity for a while while the young Brisbane team goes straight by them. Particularly if they land Ryder.

regards,

REB

Yeah I agree REB. Richmond's barnstorming finish was great and all but then smashed first week of the finals to remind us again how they were travelling up to round 13. They are definitely stuck in that mid table no man's land of 7th to 10th. Just where the Crows are too.

Brisbane look to have more promise in their squad and I'd also have them overtaking Richmond pretty soon.
by Hondo
Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Essendon 2014

I wonder if in hindsight this will be end up another example of why clubs shouldn't rush favourite sons into coaching positions before they are ready, or even at all.

If the coach involved was most people other than Essendon's golden child I reckon this saga would be over by now. Essendon would have moved on and blamed the former coach. Hird has created a massive conflict of interest for the club. They are working too hard to save Hird. Honestly he's not that important in the scheme of things and Hird himself should have let his club off the hook by now.
by Hondo
Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Phil Hughes badly injured

I've had this awful feeling the whole time that this would be the tragic outcome. I've been refreshing the news pages regularly dreading what I would find.

Terrible, awful news. My condolences go out to his family, friends and team-mates. :( :(
by Hondo
Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hogg Elite League 2015

REB the league is full now

Unfortunately, cos I'm in. I'll try again to get a higher ranked player in.

regards,

REB

Stay there REB

Surely you were close enough to the ranking cut off and besides I think we would all agree you deserve some reward for all the time you commit to organizing the Hogg leagues for us.
by Hondo
Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:08 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hogg Elite League 2015

Ranking 201
Darksiders 1937
by Hondo
Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Gillard or Rudd

The Labor Party must look back on it all in light of that brilliant documentary and think "never again".

Surely there MUST have been a way of keeping Rudd (the person the electorate embraced as PM at the 2007 election) as PM but addressing his dysfunctional working practices internally behind closed doors.

Why didn't the caucus or cabinet ministers (are these the same group of people?) just thrash the whole thing out in the open and come up with some plan that did not involve changing actual PM in the way they did. Perhaps with some open discussion he could have been given some room to move and some conditions to meet. It all comes across like secret power games and the craziness is after making the mistake in 2010 they thought it could be fixed by basically repeating it 3 years later.

I think it was Anthony Albenese who put it best - the events of 2010 sealed the fate of not one but two PMs.

It's a gripping TV series.
by Hondo
Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hogg Premier League 2017

Well played REB. You'd think copping Lloyd's 4 and what looked like a donut from NRoo would have allowed me a win but as you say Rocky and Sandi on the bench and trading out Otten a week early as it turned out cost me.

Oh and your Doch to my Shaw which is proving a weekly hit for me.
by Hondo
Tue May 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Who's got a Solar Power System installed?

South Australia has one of the highest electricity rates in the world
Logic suggests in this part of the world you must consider Solar panels

These are rough and perhaps inaccurate calculations
From what I gather , by having solar there is a potential to save something like 50-75 % on electricity bills
For someone who has quarterly bills of about $500 that equals $2000 per annum , so the savings might be about $1000 to $1300 per year
A system of about $5,000 would pay itself off an average of perhaps about 4 years [ this is an estimation , but need to consider all the variables]

So in theory if panels shave off a bill from $2000 a year to say $1000 [that being a 50% reduction] how much more can a battery save the consumer per year ?

As amber fluid said, without a battery the savings have a ceiling unless you shut all the power down when the sun goes down. We have had solar since January and so far based on two bills the savings are 30-40%, not 50-75%. But it might depend on your own situation, maybe you can get more.

With a power bill of "only" $500 a quarter you may not need a $5,000 system though.

They say a payback period of about 4 years and for us so far that is how it looks. So for you to save $700 per year ($2,000 x say 35%) that would suggest to me using the back of a pasty bag that you only need a ~ $3,000 system.

Whoever you ring for a quote will do all this maths for you but in my experience they may embellish the possible savings.

With a battery however based on my tracking of what we send off to the grid unused during the day from the panels versus what we then use at night I am hopeful we can get the bill down to almost nothing with a battery. I say hopeful because we signed up for a battery that will be installed in the next few months (via AGL's suburban battery farm concept with a discounted battery).

It is currently really frustrating to see us use the same amount of power when the sun goes down that we export during an average day unused.
by Hondo
Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:40 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hogg Premier League 2018

Sorry for tardiness REB

in like Flynn
by Hondo
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Goodbye Football Park

The thing about Footy Park was that despite how crap it may have become towards the end (due to changes in spectator attitudes in the main, IMHO), it was a symbol of the league maturing and deciding to move out of home (so to speak). It stood up to the overlords of the SACA, told them them to **** off, went out on a limb to build its own stadium in a spot everyone thought was dump, and ultimately made it work and paid it off with plenty of time to spare.

Yes, and the way it turned out you would have to call it a brilliant investment. I completely understand the SANFL's attachment to it for those reasons. I do however feel in the end they were too attached to it to see the reality of it's ending economic useful life and the urgent need to get footy back into the CBD. To be fair they probably didn't think a union with the SACA at AO could ever work and weren't to know that the Government would kick in $450m to make it work.

And they ended up with freehold prime real estate in West Lakes and left SA Footy with a treasure trove of great memories at Footy Park.
by Hondo
Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:22 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Hogg Elite League 2018

League rank 128

Ladder

1 Inner Sanctum 12 5 102.8 48
2 Hondo SCC 11 6 103.0 44
3 Shane's Superboots 11 6 99.1 44
4 Captain Who? 10 7 103.7 40
5 Roosters 10 7 101.6 40
6 Cowboys 9 8 100.4 36
7 Buddy Franklin 9 8 100.4 36
8 Ecky's Fevolas 9 8 99.7 36

9 Chicken Noodles 9 8 98.3 36
10 Ben Rolfsburgers 8 9 100.9 32
11 Daisys Duds 8 9 100.1 32
12 Richo Richo Man 8 9 99.2 32
13 Delicious 8 9 99.2 32
14 Team_Fish 8 9 99.1 32
15 Professor Cow 7 10 98.8 28
16 FNQTrotters 6 11 98.5 24
17 Poon Army 5 12 97.8 20
18 Hips Don't Lie 5 12 0 95.9 20
by Hondo
Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

League rank 132

Finals Week One

Qualifying Finals
Captain Who? 2716
Inner Sanctum 2591

Shane's Superboots 2602
Hondo SCC 2389

Elimination Finals
Ecky's Fevola's 2564
Roosters 2555

Buddy Franklin 2503
Cowboys 2355
by Hondo
Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

League rank 138

Finals Week Two

Semi Finals
Inner Sanctum 2371
Ecky's Fevolas 2234

Hondo SCC 2367
Buddy Franklin 2314

Preliminary Finals
Captain Who? v Hondo SCC

Inner Sanctum v Shane's Superboots
by Hondo
Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

League rank 128

Finals Week Three

Preliminary Finals

Hondo SCC 2610
Captain Who? 2463

Inner Sanctum 2480
Shane's Superboots 2132

Grand Final

Hondo SCC v Inner Sanctum
by Hondo
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

I think we need to go back to when Liberal and Labor were Liberal and Labor.
At the moment they are just so close together its just rubbish

The emergence of the far right political figures like One Nation, Corey Bernardi and Fraser Anning have made obvious that the modern Liberal party is actually closer to the middle than we thought.

The difference is more about union influence v big business influence rather than political ideologies these days IMO. Modern media including social media tends to smooth out the far left or right edges from what Labour and Liberal candidates can or want to really say. Those extreme positions are now left to the Greens on the left or the various personalities on the right. No-one in mainstream government can go to these extreme edges anymore and that clearly upsets far right or left elements within those parties, moreso the Liberal party it seems.
by Hondo
Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

League rank 132

Grand Final

Hondo SCC 2599
Inner Sanctum 2568

We had a close match and it came down to Inner Sanctum needing Gawn to go above 187 to get the win and despite a huge game from Maxy he fell 31 short. I had a trade spare to trade Parker to Crouch.

The key PODs for me were Dangerfield and Grundy who went big enough to offset poor games from Gray, Crouch and Simpson. It's one of the few times I have had an opponent who didn't have Kade.

Luckily he had both McLean and Taranto, particularly Taranto who is a POD and only went for 67.
by Hondo
Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 1981 SANFL season

It is to this very day the most frustrated Ive been at a football game
Even though GL won by 55 points, I maintain to this day, the winner of the toss would be the winner as things turned out
I estimated the breeze as about 5-6 goals in this match, if memory serves me correct

Do we think in hindsight that Footy Park was more prone to weather impacting a result than other grounds due to its proximity to the beach?

I know poor weather is not location specific but when it turned bad down at West Lakes it played havoc.

I was at the 92 and 89 GFs and while I don't think the winners would have changed if it was a better day I do think those kind of conditions disadvantaged some teams more than others.

The 79 GF is another example.

Or am I suffering from selective memory?
by Hondo
Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Danny Frawley RIP

Just a heads up for those promoting meds/etc.

I've been having recent meeting with distinguished medical professionals and in the next five years you will be seeing a massive push away from the prescription of medication for mental health and a much stronger emphasis on physical exercise.

All recent research shows that increased physical activity is the best and most sustainable method for treating mental health. Releasing endorphins is as great prescriptions.

I think it can help for sure but if depression could be cured by exercise alone then no athlete would get it and we know this isn’t true.

I used to know someone who exercised copious amounts to combat depression and found it wasn’t enough. They are still here thankfully.

Plus not everyone is in a position to exercise enough to - age, disability etc

Horses for courses and I think medication and exercise will continue to be pieces of the puzzle and different levels for different cases. If there was a magic bullet it would be great to save the tragedy that is mental health problems but I think we have to be careful to not continue the stigma inadvertently. Only unfit people get depressed ... I know you aren’t saying that specifically but it’s a complicated health issue and easy to come up with simple solutions. Meds included..
by Hondo
Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Big difference between exercising and being an elite athlete.
I can vouch for the mental health benefits of exercising after taking up running many years ago.

For sure no argument with you here. I enjoyed running for the same reason actor.

But to say natural endorphins from exercise are as good as meds doesn’t explain to me why full time professional athletes also suffer from depression. How much more exercise can they do?

I’m all for pushing Doctors to think holistically about each patient and not reach straight away for the prescription,

But at the same time telling someone with depression to go to the gym more will not be the right answer in all cases either.

That said I support anything that helps promote more active lifestyles.
by Hondo
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

That would be the stresses of being a full time athlete.
Think there is a balance there somewhere.

It could be that

It could be genetics, personality or a lot of other things or combinations of all those things.

They still don’t know everything there is to know about it. It’s a terrible disease.
by Hondo
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South Adelaide in 1989

Yep absolutely mate, Norwood we’re playing on reputation in 86’ and only fell into the finals after winning at Alberton in the last minor round (IIRC). Woodville rightly stuffed us in the Elim .. Pretty handy side they had that year and they were excellent to watch.

YouTube now has the highlights of that 86 Elimination Final and it's a great watch. Also now has the full 86 1st Semi Final Port v Woodville which I haven't watched.
by Hondo
Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |