Search found 11 matches

Return

Re: Young coaches.

I think 24 is too young. Definitely for A grade, may handle it in B grade with the right support.

The issue is not understanding of the game, it is being able to manage people and for an A grade coach being the figure head of a club.

If the young coach has had experience in their professional lives in teaching/coaching/leadership roles they may be equipped to do it.

Having said that, most coaches no matter their age are rubbish, have little idea about coaching and are just loud passionate supporters .
I really hope you are a coach & are just taking the p!ss.

Nah, he would be serious!

Doesn't matter how good, how young, how old or how bad your coach is if you never listen ;)

IMO Good coaching has nothing to do with age and everything to do with - management, people/communication skills PLUS the ability to formulate a plan and deliver it. You can be 19 or 69 if your good at those things you can be a successful coach. Hayden Bunton Jnr coached Norwood at 19 from 1958 to 1960 playing Finals in 2 of those 3 seasons.
by Darth Demon
Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 8 - 2015

Well now that we're confirmed we might as well get this going.

The ticker of a few clubs notwithstanding this is shaping up to be a very very strong division and I would be surprised if any two individual clubs end up as dominant as PAOC and Golden Grove were last year.

Don't underestimate the Jets……plenty of talent coming out of the crew from Unley/Mercedes.

Very unlucky to lose in last years C1 Finals. Should have beat ROCS in the 1st Semi going down by a point and then once again, snatched Defeat from the Jaws of Victory in the Last Quarter of the 2nd Semi against Uni. A definite Finals contender and very tough at Kingswood Oval. Will definitely learn from the experience of 2014, they will be a fit, fast and talented side.
Good running side that are better suited to larger decks than kingswood.
First time that a 48 point margin (12.22 to 7.4) and one that was increased in the last quarter could be called snatching defeat from the jaws of victory though.
The c1 grade is strong as well, both divisions shouldn't have too blowouts and I think that the grades will be closely fought with some unlucky sides come finals time.
My points were related to The Jets prospects in D8 2015
1. Don't underestimate The Jets
2. Their record at Kingswood is excellent
3. I watched both their Finals matches and IMO The Jets had the opportunity to win both games, so IMO they were unlucky and they will learn from that experience
Good luck to all and Go Jets!
by Darth Demon
Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: C1 - season 2015

Spot On, C1 in 2015 promises to offer a few close matches week in week out, especially with the inclusion of Athelstone, Broadview, SHOC and Henley. SHOC v Athelstone and ROCS v Blacks - should return very high quality games this week. Lets try and get a report on those 2 matches.

Goodwood have a majority under 23, but still have a couple of "old blokes" in the C1's - 493 gamer "Muck" O'Connell up Forward kicking 3 goals at 46 years of age and "Lawts" across Half Back at 41 were both named in GSFC Best Players on Saturday - and it wasn't even "Ladies Day" where Lawts usually does his best work ;).[/quote]

outrageous performance..would there be a majority of them in B, C and D grade darth?
how many GF's has he played in and how many has he won? i heard it was approximately 8-10 won from 20 odd attempts?[/quote]

When discussing Premierships with #16, his answers may vary depending on what stage of the afternoon or evening it is. Very loyal and successful member for over 30 years, he was Captain of the Under 18's when I played Reserves back in 1986. Now that means we're both pretty old!
by Darth Demon
Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congratulations to Nick O'Connell, who plays his 500th Senior game for The Saints tomorrow. A one club player, with a career spanning over 30 years, a truly magnificent effort - Well done "Muck"
by Darth Demon
Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

fantastic achievement by "muck"..as all of his peers retired he just kept going..500..guy could go to 550 i reckon!

darth: how many flags has he been involved in and how many losing ones..do we have a figure?
From the Messenger Press Article:
MATES and premierships ensure Nick O’Connell keeps coming back to Goodwood Saints Football Club.

O’Connell, 46, will play his 500th senior game for the Saints against Athelstone in the amateur league’s C1 competition this Saturday – 31 years after following mates to the club.

It is the latest milestone in a journey that includes winning nine flags from 16 grand finals, forging lifelong friendships and lining up with the sons of former teammates.

“I played about half a year in under-16s and haven’t left,” O’Connell says.

“It’s like home – I feel very comfortable there.

“Saturday afternoons on the hill, I’ll go for a walk and see guys I played with 10, 15 or 20 years before.

“I’m even playing with some of their kids now.”

There was a time when O’Connell thought he would retire without a senior flag.

After a 1-1 record in junior grand finals, the midfielder lost his first five senior premiership deciders.

He then missed the A grade’s 1997 flag after being dropped from the winning preliminary final side.

“We had some guys coming back … so I knew I was going to have to do something pretty special in the prelim and I didn’t.

“There was a lot of what ifs going through your head.”

Unsurprisingly, O’Connell regards his breakthrough premiership in division one reserves in 1998 as a career highlight.

“That was amazing – and then we won the next four after that as well.”

O’Connell, of South Plympton, has played about 70 A-grade games, 100 in the Cs and the remainder for the Bs.

He reckons this will be his last season, though “I’ve said that 18 times before”, and hopes to win one last flag.

The Saints are third on the ladder with a 6-1 record.

“I’ve had a dodgy back for 20-odd years … but have been very, very lucky with injury.

“I’ve loved it and I’d play forever if I could but the body does let you down.”
by Darth Demon
Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Congratulations to Athelstone on yesterday's win over Goodwood Saints at Goodwood Oval. Raggies hung in there all day and made the most of their opportunities in the second half to run out deserved winners by 11 points. Well Done "Raggies" and great sportsmanship acknowledging Nick O'Connell's 500th match, forming a guard of Honour with the Saints after the game. Very close and entertaining match and once again shows the talent going around in C1. 8)
by Darth Demon
Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Nah we would hope to stick with them for at least a quarter but they are far too superior for this division they wont lose another game all year
Thinking Goodwood and Uni will be thinking differently. The competition has improved again on last year.

Goodwood and uni are no chance either, athelstone are the best side I've seen since the Brisbane lions 3 premierships side

Well that's that then…Done!

I recon the rest of us will join SPOC, just hang up the boots and go to the Pub.

Raggies it's all yours! 8)
by Darth Demon
Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:45 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Thank you to the Henley Medical and support staff who all assisted with a serious injury to a Goodwood player in today's C1 Prelim Final. Jack is under observation at the RAH with a heavy concussion- reports are he will be ok. One of those contests that happen in our game, nothing untoward, just blind courage. Once again thanks to the Henley crew.
by Darth Demon
Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL Division 1 2016

Jetters wrote:Dear SAAFL, please fixture Unley v Goodwood for round 1. Please and thank you, both Unley and Goodwood.

Be patient Young Fella! You've waited this long….Round 3, I understand will be soon enough ;;)
by Darth Demon
Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: CH9AFL Division 5, 2016

no matter the ins and outs it was 21 v 21 and BOSFC were leading when the siren went..thats all that matters..we know they are the best team in the division so we were proud of our boys efforts and endeavour but we couldnt quite get it done..

ian: we kicked 4.1 - 0.3 into the breeze in the last quarter..both teams were tired but i think those stats dispute your theory..it was a very tough game played at high energy levels and we had 2 guys who were cooked on the bench..you do what you can with what you have available..cheers..

Love your Honesty Zed, no excuses! "BOSFC were leading when the siren went..thats all that matters" Keep ticking them over young fella, you've done this journey before and please remember my Rutland Avenue Friends, "It's a marathon to September not a sprint to Round 4"
Go Deeez ;)
by Darth Demon
Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Footy League Division 5 - 2020

"Build it and they will come" -
Brand new Clubrooms the envy of anyone in the league,
4 Senior Mens sides, (many clubs above struggle to field 3 senior sides, let alone 4)
Senior Woman's Team,
Girls 16.5 Grand Finalists,
Established Junior program (very competitive)
and 3 Senior Premierships.

Well done to all at Rutland Ave.

I watched the Grand Final and was impressed with the pressure from both sides, still not sure how #3 M. Corbett didn't make the Best Players. This guy never stops, may have been down (skill wise) by his own high standards , but from where I was sitting he worked tirelessly inside the contests all day, took a huge battering and still was pushing the ball forward in the final moments. An excellent player at this level. #6 skinny tall defender was crucial in the last 1/4, good game from an unlikely type.

Congratulations in particular to Zed, great recruiting over the journey and you got the prize, young fella - Well deserved.
by Darth Demon
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |