Search found 159 matches

Return

Re: 2023 Grand Final, Glenelg v Sturt

Booney wrote:You've never been in one at AO. EAD.

Then again Port have lost their last 8 league Grand Finals at Adelaide Oval.
1966 lost to Sturt
1967 lost to Sturt
1968 lost to Sturt
1971 lost to North
1972 lost to North
2014 lost to Norwood
2017 lost to Sturt
2019 lost to Glenelg
by robranisgod
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2024

Few north blokes looking elsewhere, sick of Surjans negativity - shouldve kept reeves

Certainly they should not have signed Surjan to the end of 2025 as reported by Wedgie on July 7th, 2022. It was a huge mistake.
In 2022, in addition to Reeves they used Phil Smyth as a mentor and a calming influence on Surjan. I saw him on TV in the Brisbane rooms after an early final and I never saw him at North.
North are doing well financially, but I doubt that they are doing well enough to pay out Surjan's contract, so they cannot bow to the players as Glenelg did last year when the players threatened to walk out en masse if Hand remained as coach.
Appointing Reeves was obviously an inspired move. I can't remember him even being in discussions to get the Glenelg coaching job.

Legit question because I’m not up with SANFL as I used to be, didn’t North have a decent whack of injuries early in the season?
Not just early in the season,
North had injuries to key players all season whereas in 2022 there were very few injuries,
Even in the vital last games of the year, Aaron Young missed with injury and others were out as well.
North wasn't able to get a settled side all year, but I still think the aberration was 2022, not this year.
by robranisgod
Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2024

i have heard that 4 senior personnel will retire from North, but they will be playing in the country not for another club.
Other than Cameron Craig, there has been no other official ins or outs as yet.
Craig represented the state this year and looked to have much more footy left in him.
by robranisgod
Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2024

Hamish Hartlett the new SANFL Coach of the Port Adelaide Power Reserves Magpies side.

Tyson Goldsack steps up as the defensive coach to the AFL side, now.

Have we ever had 2 brothers face off against each other in the coaches box, previously?

Hamish and Adam battling it out for the Hartlett Cup when Port and West next meet.

Can't think of any.

Father and son yes. Jack and Robert Oatey.

Fos Williams South and Glynn Williams Sturt in 1960.
by robranisgod
Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rd 2 Eagles v North @ Woodville Sat 13 April 2:30 PM

Reminded me of Round 24 1992. First game at Woodville Oval as WWT. WWT by 92 points that day, and beat North the following week in the Qualifying Final by a similar margin. When you're hot etc.
You are spot on. This probably should be in the History section. That 92 points was the end of an era for North after a good 10 years including 2 flags (and probably should have won more}. On the other hand it suggested to me that the Eagles were really in the premiership window and of course they went on to win the flag the next year and should have won one more.
This time the wheels had probably already fallen off North last year, although they still should have made the five. They are now bereft of confidence. The list still looks OK other than the lack of ruck strength but their skills are appalling.
It goes without saying that the Eagles were classes above North in all departments yesterday.
by robranisgod
Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where Players Were Recruited From - AFC Series (1979-86)

Damian Kitschke was from the mid North. He may have been from BSR or one of its forerunners.
I think that Graeme Hyde was from Edwardstown
Russell Edwards was from Central District, I think that he is Greg Edwards brother.
Michael Rennie was from Glenelg
Malcolm Blight was from Woodville South
by robranisgod
Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Where Players Were Recruited From - AFC Series (1979-86)

Damian Kitschke was from the mid North. He may have been from BSR or one of its forerunners.
I think that Graeme Hyde was from Edwardstown
Russell Edwards was from Central District, I think that he is Greg Edwards brother.
Michael Rennie was from Glenelg
Malcolm Blight was from Woodville South

Graeme Hyde played for Edwardstown after his Sturt stint. He came to Edwardstown from Blackwood, but I don't know whether he played for Blackwood before going to stint.
The following is from the Edwardstone Football Club History :

"We might have won that year and so we had a lot to prove to ourselves in 1987. However, we really bonded and guys played above themselves. Neil Pearson and Tim Hoile had come from Norwood and began to feel ownership in the club. Hoile was a key forward, we had two good ruckmen, Graham Hyde from Blackwood"
by robranisgod
Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 3 North v Sturt

Geezus, not sure who was more disappointed Sturt lost, the umpires or one of those commentators.

To which commentator were you referring?
Tim Saul is a passionate North supporter and I think that Paul Bonsor is an Eagles supporter. I didn't notice any commentary bias.
The umpiring was abysmal. One umpire was scared to make a decision and another seemed to control the whole game. He seemed loath to give North a free, especially ahead of centre.
The guy who was screaming ever time Sturt goaled or took a simple mark, the other guy was very good though. I had a genuine concern for my ear drums every time Sturt got it.
I certainly noticed the screaming but I thought it happened when North goaled as well.
I know that Matt Hill is a professional broadcaster, but the SANFL commentators should listen to him call the AFL on SEN on Thursday nights and hear how football should be broadcast.
by robranisgod
Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 5 North v Norwood

$3.70 would have been the right price after the first two rounds. I asked a prominent bookmaker what price North and he said $2,20 given North's last 2 weeks form. He may well have snapped up the $3.70. I certainly haven't.
Time will tell.
Traditionally Norwood play well at Prospect and North play well at Norwood. That was certainly the case in the last halcyon days of the SANFL in the 1980s.
by robranisgod
Fri May 03, 2024 11:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |