Search found 354 matches

Return

Re: RD 14 Norwood Vs Sturt 14/7/18

I am still shell shocked by that last quarter from Norwood.
We thought that a 4 goal lead at 3 Q time would be competitive, given that the Legs were kicking to the scoring end in the final Q. But that was based on the way the game had been played up to that point.
Norwood then had complete control of the center square, at times I was wondering if they had extra players around the tea saucer, we suddenly couldn't lay a hand on the pill. After they had gotten their first 4 or so, the Blues simply looked rattled, I haven't seen a display like it since the dim dark days of the early 90's. I was half expecting to see Scotty Field deck Garry MacIntosh at some stage, I couldn't believe I was witnessing such a performance in today's era.
And the bloody goals just kept on coming, and some were ridiculously easy, we were no longer watching the same game as the first three quarters. About the only thing that linked what happened before 3Q time and after it, was a patch of about 5 minutes to end the 2nd Q where Norwood got a sudden 3 goals or so, apart from that, Sturt seemed to have the game under control. The freaks that took the field for Norwood in that final Q were not the same players they had before hand. These were men possessed, who could suddenly not put a foot wrong, who threw themselves hard at the contest, gathered the ball at their bootlaces without breaking a run, slotted the big sticks from whatever angle, and applied too much pressure for us.
Congratulations Norwood, it was thoroughly sickening to watch, and most of us were stunned by it.
Osborne rucked the entire final quarter, not sure what happened to our regular ruckman, Read, someone said he was not sighted after half time? We were possibly a couple of sets of fresh legs down at 3Q time, but there was no excusing that performance. The Legs just waltzed all over the old Billabong today.
Absolute hot, smoking flag favourites. Given other results today, you would have to say it will be an Eagles v Legs Grand Final.
by therisingblues
Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

https://www.fiveaa.com.au/sport/Rule-Changes-Could-See-The-Crows-And-Port-Adelaide-Leave-The-SANFL

Sanfl not compelled to match afl rules.

Under what authority ???

Sounds like they are the governing body of footy in SA. :-)

Don't the SANFL have a 'contract' with the Cows to play in their Competition?
Wouldn't that suggest they are likely to follow any AFL directive on rule changes?

It would be fair to suggest that I am unlikely to 'hold my breath' - in terms of expecting the SANFL to disregard their Overlord's wishes :roll:

Let's get real here we all know the sanfl will jump as soon as the AFL make their rule changes.

Too right Amber. It wasn't too long ago that the SANFL still posessed a backbone, and the likes of us used to rally behind it on this site. We were calling the SANFL the "last bastion of real football", or something like that.
Now it's more like the AFL telling us to bend over, and the the SANFL asking should it touch the ground or put its head between its knees.
by therisingblues
Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Norwood v WWT Fri 1920

The Eagles' turn to stand in front of the Red and Blue cannon.
The Eagles to hold them for 2 and a half quarters, the Legs will outscore them by between 5 to 9 goals in the other 1 and a bit Q's.
Having said that, this should be a fascinating contest. The Eagles have put in some monster displays apart from catching Sturt on the rebound last week. While Norwood are just steamrolling all before them. I am interested in seeing if there is at least one side left in the competition capable of, at the very least, slowing Norwood down when they begin drilling goals.

I think I would prefer the Eagles to win this, on account of Norwood are scaring the sh1t out of me ATM.
by therisingblues
Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Chris McDermott's Top 25 SANFL players

amber_fluid wrote:You mean Port Power supporters mate.
Don’t get them mixed up with real Port Magpies supporters of old. ;)

Sorry mate, right you are.
There is a big difference between the two breeds, and I will edit the post so as not to impugn the good likes of yourself. ;)
by therisingblues
Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: West v Port Sat 1310

https://media.giphy.com/media/l2R013mIf1ZXdvoyI/giphy.gif

1 less post than Bays/North...

You blokes given up too?

Not sure what's going on Booney!
It all started about 4 or 5 years ago. This site, attendances at Port games, and interest in SANFL in general have really gone to sh1t!
I have absolutely no idea what could have happened to make that happen.
by therisingblues
Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Steven Summerton retires

I was hopeful there'd be enough common sense/decency in here to just acknowledge the player that Summerton has been in the SANFL, deep down inside I knew where it would descend too though.
Hardly descending to anything Boon.
All the more power to him that he should be acknowledged as the last true Magpie, unless you consider ignoring what has happened to the great club as the pinnacle of his career. I remember he made a very famous post on facebook where he did jsut the opposite.
I for one will definitely be remembering him as the last link to the old Magpies, if that offends anyone... well we've all been down this road before,,,, get over it!
by therisingblues
Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Asahi?

In English we could pronounce "i" like "hi" (as in "hello") or as a shortened "ee" sound, like in "igloo".
The Japanese always pronounce the "I' as in igloo. So Asahi would be "A-sa-hee" (shortened "ee" sound).

I was surprised at the good quality of beer in Japan, apparently they got Germans over to show them how to do it over a hundred years ago and it is now a big part of their culture. Unlike us, where we usually have no qualms about drinking for the express purpose of getting smashed, Japanese use beer as an accompaniment for food, and it will often make an appearance at family gatherings or festivals, like flower viewing, (which is basically throwing a picnic blanket under a tree in blossom, eating sushi and getting smashed). Sapporo is another good beer, and when you want to impress, go for Yebisu, with the picture of the 7 Gods on the label. It is a little pricier, but you can taste the quality, and brings an air of refinement to your piss up.
by therisingblues
Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Josh Carr Wooden Spoon Coach. Hard Luck.

the joker wrote:Haha this thread has aged well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bloody oath!
Thanks for nothing UK! Making them MAD with this thread has really worked out well hasn't it?
I'm not bitter! ;)
by therisingblues
Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final teams.

Seb Guilhas has gone bang on Facebook.

Copy and paste on here

For a period of time during today's game North Adelaide had 19 men on the field and during that time they scored 8 points.... we lost by 5 points ....furthermore the free kick count was 30 to North and 17 to Eagles .... the combination of the '19 man cheat' and the rigged umpiring is a clear sign that the SANFL wanted North to get through in order to maximize grandfinal attendance as woodville has a much smaller support base.... for the SANFL not to correct the ruling of victory is an absolute unfathomable disgrace.... the sway of finances has trumped the basic rules of the great game which so many hold dear.... there are literally no words.... please share this post as many times as possible... there are lawyers looking at the fine print as we speak!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The EAGLES complaining about a FREE KICK COUNT!!!!!!
Comedy GOLD!
by therisingblues
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2018 Grand Final - Norwood v North Adelaide

It was mentioned earlier by a poster on here, and it makes perfect sense. The issue was not dealt with during the game, regardless of the rights and wrongs of it, there's nothing that can be done afterwards.
The penalty imposed on North was done to appease the media, the online outrage machine, and the victims of the original wrong decision.
Now that wave of discontentment is past, there is a good chance that the penalty will be reversed
The AFL was completely full of shit to come out and claim they would have stripped North of the win. If the same thing happened between North Melbourne and Richmond there is no way they would reverse the result. It is a symptom of the age we live in, people not involved in situations always claim they would have done such and such an action, which is always so much more drastic than the real actual action taken by the person actually involved in it. The ingredients are an inflated ego and a means to broadcast an opinion, and presto, we have a shit-cake.
The umpire has but a few seconds to make a decision during a game, and I can think of numerous ones that perhaps affected the result over the years. That's football, we shouldn't be setting a precedent like this.
Footy is a great game, I will take it in its purest form, warts and all, over a sanitised version, decided in courtrooms and trial by media, days after the event.
The more footy and less circus the better.
by therisingblues
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2018

Mattner has officially left Sturt to join the Crows

Thank you Marty!
At the start of 2016 we were spoon favourites.
3 years later we have 2 extra flags to the total and we're disappointed to have finished the year after Semi-Finals.
This is our most successful period since I have been on this Earth, and Mattner is our equal 2nd most successful premiership coach; Oatey: 7 flags, Mattner 2 flags and Mayman 2 flags (Coincidentally, Mayman also coached us for 3 years and technically, won his 2 flags in a row also, Australia was involved in the 1st WW between Mayman's flags, and competition was suspended).
Who'd have thought we would be in this position at the start of 2016 with all the retirements we experienced at that time, and the forecast looking so dim?
I know he was hanging out for an AFL gig here in SA, and we might have lost him sooner had he been open to offers across the border, but it is a bitter pill to swallow for me, with him going to the Crows. I want to see him do well, and I believe he will, I just wish he didn't have to do it at the Crows!
Thanks for a very mighty 3 years at the helm Mattner. Your place in immortality is set at Unley.
All the best for the future!
by therisingblues
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2019

I dunno. I like to see Booney **** himself up from time to time. :lol:
by therisingblues
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Redlegsforum.com.au

Maybe it disappeared with the bandwagon?
by therisingblues
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final

Surprised this video hasn't been mentioned on this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmfpDxajVxU

What happened the last time there was an extra player count in the SANFL.
Watching the various tactics employed by Torrens to avoid getting caught is comedy gold. A different era of footy, so we can't really compare like for like, but in this case West Adelaide did follow protocol and inform the central umpire that there were too many Eagles' players on the ground. From there on, a little boy with chocolate all over his face would make a more convincing case that he didn't do it.
by therisingblues
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting quote from an article posted by Wedgie on the "Congrats NA Flag" thread:

Finances were in short supply at the Magpies and Edwards (then CEO of the Port Magpies) says he learned plenty that year as the club and Power pursued a merger.
“ When the SANFL knocked back the first merger proposal the Magpies went from 1800 members to 7000 in six weeks,” Edwards said. “The day after the merger was knocked back we had 100 people come into reception to sign up for membership and give donations.

“It was a real eye opener as to how passionate people are to Port Adelaide and football.”

I have long held that the true fans of the Magpies have suffered just as much, if not more, than the regular passionate SANFL follower, and what further proof would you need than the above quote? 7000 members is a massive number in post Crows SANFL, but of little account to decision makers out at Alberton. In our wonderful dollar chasing world, the extra bums on seats provided by the Power and attached corporate circus easily outweighs the risk of losing those 7000 born and bred Magpie members who cheered, laughed and cried during the Magpie tradition continuing through their lifetimes up to that point. Without Edwards saying that it should be blatantly obvious in any case. How TF would I know? Because that is what it would be like if it happened at my club!
The line "Port has no one to blame but themselves" is BS in my opinion, there were obviously plenty within the club who opposed the stench that has pervaded our league.
by therisingblues
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:41 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Club Financials

Its because they have more supporters . All clubs have them but unfortunately some dont have many to draw from. I would think North have a decent following though and they certainly turned out last year . The Eagles often rant about their numbers but its a false economy .

Not to labour the point, but that is what I meant. During the minor round, the average number of people attending matches is only about 400 - 500 more for clubs such as the 'Big 5' than the others; however, in finals, the numbers swell by thousands more. Thus, it can be said that the 'Big 5' tend to have more 'bandwaggoners' than clubs such as South, West, Central and the Eagles. Even when the latter four clubs are successful, our numbers don't swell by anywhere near as much as the 'Big 5' do.
As for Adelaide, apparently they get 4 000 to every minor round match :oops: and don't add to this in finals, so they can't have any 'bandwaggoners' at all :) :roll:

Cheers
What's the opposite of a bandwagon? Of the 4,000 projected supporters we have seen barely 300 on a good day, if that.
by therisingblues
Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Booney wrote:This is the whinge thread.

The SANFL version of "Things that give you the Shits" thread.
by therisingblues
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019 SANFL Season

The AFL will gladly wait until the SANFL is a complete basket case, then turn up, media entourage in toe, photos of whoever is captain of Crows and Power on the front page of the rag, some crappy headline: "AFL throws life line to SANFL!" one sentence buried deep within the story about how "certain changes will need to be made to current structure to allow AFL greater control." the rest; a wankfest about how they really care about local footy, which clearly cannot survive without the chivalrous intervention of football's wondrous governing body.

(N.B. it should read "AFL's wondrous governing body." since they renamed the game after themselves, shouldn't it be spurious to refer to it as football ?)
by therisingblues
Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Posted By Booney on the Season 2019 Thread:

he SANFL announced on Friday that it had changed its rule and both the Port and Crows reserves teams would be able to field one marquee contracted player – such as Summerton – in every match.

----

SANFL football general manger Adam Kelly said the original rule was introduced in the first year of fielding AFL reserves teams in the state league in 2014 to uphold the integrity of the competition .

Kelly said the former stipulation had not contemplated that all 21 AFL-listed players would be available, resulting in no top-up players lining up in a league match.

“The provisions of the licence agreement … were included to ensure that the teams of each (AFL) club were playing the line and wanting to win, ” Kelly said.

“ Both clubs have honoured this principle and demonstrated through their players a commitment to the contest and respect for the competition.

“Ultimately, the SANFL has agreed with Port Adelaide that it is appropriate that the marquee player be able to be selected before an AFL-listed player on the occasion that 21 are available for SANFL selection.”

-----

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sanfl-rul ... fc7b67eb43

What a load of shit!

integrity, playing the line wanting to win, respect for the competition

...all until someone starts playing too well and the coaching staff decides he's be better rested up for bigger and better things in the serious league the following week.
They just write whatever they like, regardless of what is actually happening, and expect that their words, rather than actual deeds, become the offering of proof that the reserves are actually taking this league seriously.
by therisingblues
Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SANFL gave up Footy Park so that footy could move to Adelaide Oval. Of course they now have a big say (along with the SACA) in the running of the new home of footy in this state.
Capisce?

BTW. NO ONE ever has a "nice discussion with U.K fan" ;)
by therisingblues
Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:12 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019 SANFL Season

I still think an extra bonus point for teams that can score over 100 points is the way to go.

Don’t change the rules just change the reward system and let the coaches work out the issue of their teams lack of scoring problem.
A little bit like the EPL (3 points for a win and 1 for a draw)?
I f I have read you right, it'll be 3 points for a win where your team scores over 100 points and 1 point for a loss where the team has scored over 100 points.

Interesting idea, probably worth the consideration of the rules people. Rather than constantly changing the rules, how about a reward for high scoring, which is what they are contriving to achieve with all these CONSTANT rule changes?
Worth a try, I think the idea at least deserves analysis. I can't see any obvious disadvantage.
by therisingblues
Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

But wait theres more. Mid Year draft !! Hows this scenario ? Club x in the SANFL is flying 3 games clear on top after round 9. Halfway there and undefeated. Hawthorn need a ruckman. That's one. Carlton a midfielder. Theres two. Bulldogs need a key defender that makes it three, and to top it off the crows are sitting fourth in the sanfl and draft a key forward that could quite possibly end up playing against club x. Its all going one way folks and its time the powers to be woke up and protected the sanfl before its too late.

Hate to say it, but we told you so in 2013, that was the time to act, not now.
Aye, and a slippery slope it is that we are on now.
by therisingblues
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

DOC wrote:
Brett wrote:What a South supporter commenting on this thread whingeing ? If so start a new topic. Very related obviously.

AS a WWT supporter Brett, what would your take be?

They'd take them to court, obviously! :lol:
by therisingblues
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:09 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SA 2019 Draft Watch

So I’ve been thinking a lot about this. Does the fact that Michael Knoll was not drafted by any AFL club in the off season mean that South Adelaide’s recruiting department is better than all of the AFL? A cash strapped SANFL club had a better eye for talent than the 18 “loaded with money and resources” teams. Makes you wonder who the real professionals are...

Feel free to tell me I’m wrong because I might still just be a bit bitter about this :D
I'm afraid the lesson learner from all this is the SANFL clubs should not recruit anybody who's too good. In years gone by they could at least plan a premiership strategy around the group they had leftover after all the corporates had their share. But this, midseason plundering, means you don't want that next best player.
by therisingblues
Wed May 29, 2019 7:45 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg v North Mon 1410

Well, you picked Sturt by 15 goals against Charlie Dixon and the Power 2's.
How did that work out?
I think you'll find my prediction for this game to be pretty close.
P,S I also picked North to win last year's flag, halfway through.
Bays are RED HOT!
by therisingblues
Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg v North Mon 1410

Oh, FFS! Just give the Bays the Cup now!
Dominating everyone, everything.
Is there anything they can't do?
by therisingblues
Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North V Sturt

Prospect Oval Sunday 16th June 2:10
by therisingblues
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 13 - Good luck tipsters!

2 weeks

Ridiculous! How can Gaz hit three blokes for one week while Stratton gets two for being a wanker? Should have been fined. The AFL have lost the plot. You might as well save money and piss off the MRP and just let the media do it because this particular case was dead set trial by media. A week for pinching? Turn it up!

regards,

REB
Kill it before it grows.
If he got off lightly for being a wanker, there'd probably be more wankers. The line on what is or isn't a hit is more difficult to define.
by therisingblues
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The AFL is losing me.....

Nice write up Booney.
You've managed to encompass all the reasons I don't want the AFL influencing the SANFL.
But when I post stuff like this on the other board I get accused of wearing a tin foil hat or worse.
I think the key is to wait until things are unbearable.... And THEN complain.
Us tin foilers are just ahead of the game.

Hopefully your post influences a few to give up AFL and strengthen the hand of our state league by turning up there.
The answer IS obvious.
by therisingblues
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The AFL is losing me.....

Nice write up Booney.
You've managed to encompass all the reasons I don't want the AFL influencing the SANFL.
But when I post stuff like this on the other board I get accused of wearing a tin foil hat or worse.
I think the key is to wait until things are unbearable.... And THEN complain.
Us tin foilers are just ahead of the game.

Hopefully your post influences a few to give up AFL and strengthen the hand of our state league by turning up there.
The answer IS obvious.

I said it a year ago or so on the SANFL threads somewhere that it is the perfect opportunity for the SANFL to take the initiative, in relation to the state of the game, and offer an alternative to the AFL and attract fans back to the Suburbs. The SANFL is a dead as Carltons season. After a few more oldies walk away it will be nothing more than a feeder comp.
This scenario is definitely on the horizon, and with the AFL becoming more plastic than ever, the future of football in general looks bleak.
SANFL could do with better promotion, but with two AFL reserve teams running around in that league, it's a hard sell. SANFL used to do much better when it had some level of independence from these plastic, clap-when-your-told-to, equal-rights-for-fatties,-rounds, don't-say-bum obsessed AFL.
Pseudo said it before, and he hit the nail on the head, the AFL has no governing body, it IS IT'S OWN GOVERNING BODY, and it's approach is to sell, sell, sell without ever needing approval from a greater power concerned more about the good of the game, than making a few dollars.
by therisingblues
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North v Port Sat 1440

He will know, alright.
The trouble is, reaching him. He's not always on this site, recently. We need some sort of direct line, like a Bat Phone, or a giant spot- light that can cast his symbol on to the clouds, and when he sees it, he'll know there's some sort of question related to statistics on SAFooty, and then he could come on here and answer it for us.
by therisingblues
Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Roy Laird’s last season coaching

Well done to Roy Laird on an unbelievable run, the SANFL will be much poorer without him.

Would love to see him employed by the SANFL in some aspect, he would sort out those that are a cancer to the league in no time.

Cancer, really! A hideous disease that effects us all and should never be spoken about out of context. Appalling, over-dramatic :(
Your first post was to complain about this becoming an "AFL whinge thread', yet you're doing more to make it that than any other person posting here.
Roy's stance on the AFL was admired by all of us, and fittingly, will be brought up in his own tribute thread.
P.S. as defined in the dictionary: a cancer is "an evil or destructive practice or phenomenon that is hard to contain or eradicate."
I think Norwood 8 is spot on, and Roy would agree also.
by therisingblues
Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: South V Sturt

Good to see Sturt ensuring the top end of town are looked after by selecting someone with a hyphenated surname in each of their three grades.

Also, really hope young Zevenboom in their under-18s goes places, that name's an absolute commentator's dream.
The big hang in the goal square...
ZEV VENBOOOOM!!!
Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.
by therisingblues
Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:55 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eagles seeking compensation

Owing to the "Father, Son Rule".
by therisingblues
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For all their complaining now, all they had to do was make one complaint, by the captain, to the umpire, at the right time...
Like arriving at the bus stop late, and then wanting compensation for missing the bus.
by therisingblues
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

For all their complaining now, all they had to do was make one complaint, by the captain, to the umpire, at the right time...
Like arriving at the bus stop late, and then wanting compensation for missing the bus.
Your for real. In the last 1/4 of a prelim final the captain, with the ball coming his way a few times needs to be standing there counting opposition players on the field then run over to the ump. The system was broken. I believe from what I have read someone was trying to tell the emergency ump who ignored them.

Anyway the issue was compensation for missed revenue. A club would be negligent if they didn't try to get something considering the SANFL fine NA $10k.
Pretty sure the counting was already done, off field. Those geniuses then only had to send a message to the captain.
You try to make it sound so hard.
by therisingblues
Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Carlton

It has to be Teague. We can continue in the direction we're headed.
Last thing we need is another bloody Malthouse, and someone wanting to rebuild.
by therisingblues
Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 17, Norwood v Central District

mal wrote:The theme for this match, still on Friday , can be "Its Now Or Never."
Friday will the 42nd anniversary of the Kings death, when he died aged 42

I think he was heard to say, "My Kingdom for a holding the ball decision you Green Maggot!" before he keeled over.
by therisingblues
Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 18, Sturt v Glenelg

Good thread Spargo.
Nicely titled, and a little spiel in the first post to get people talking.
Almost a qualifier for that most coveted, "Best SANFL Thread" award.
by therisingblues
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

its exactly what the SANFL needs and I have been advocating for years, make the SANFL a genuine 2nd tier competition that allows for players to be semi professional and have long careers if or when they don't make the top tier.

It can still develop players for the AFL but be a genuine seperate competition at the same time.

Good idea but for that to succeed you would think it would need to be heavily funded by the AFL, the entity which so many on here despise.
Well, if they begin doing things for the betterment of football as a whole, rather than actively undermining the validity of the leagues below the top tier, then that action would have a positive affect on the way some of us view the AFL.
Footy needs a responsible governing body. While I don't speak for everyone, it is their actions that have earned my ire, not their mere being. That same philosophy would continue to apply.
by therisingblues
Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019 Qualifying Final - Powerserves v Crowserves

So.... It's all about a great opportunity for the younger players to prepare for the AFL.
Don't bother reading the article, it just repeats the above in different phrases about 4 or 5 times.
I guess it makes a break from the usual "Yeah, Nah, we're just taking it one week at a time." but I've never read a finals preview like that one before.
by therisingblues
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Pure ladder 2019

Real fingernail biting finish.
I'm as nervous as a black pudding at an Ekky Thump convention.
by therisingblues
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2019 Preliminary Final - Glenelg v Adelaide

Bays 40
Crows 48

I feel like this is the Battle of Britain. Europe has fallen, Britain stands alone against the might of a professional military.
The Tigers would be the Toms, of course.
COME ON BAYS!!!
I liken the bays more to France. They may need to swap sides and join the side of good, when things aren't going that well for them.
Italy perhaps?
France at least tried to be good from the start
by therisingblues
Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Port Adelaide FC chairman David Koch says it will be “bittersweet” to line up against “good Port boys” Luke Partington and Luke Reynolds when the club takes on Glenelg in the SANFL grand final.
Kochie told FIVEaa Breakfast on Monday:

[i]“How good is it going to be! It is one of the great clashes. "Both clubs haven’t won a flag for over 20 years so it will be really historic for both."

Didn't Port win a flag in 2004?
:lol:
I had a Port supporter on here burst a blood vessel when I asked for clarification on this exact point.
Next flight for "who-gives-a-shits-ville" about which version of Port's history we are supposed to nod at and make noises as though we are impressed. Just give them some soft toys to play with so they won't hurt themselves and at the end of the day it doesn't really matter how confused they are.
by therisingblues
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:47 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Era is irrelevant.
Glenelg lost a grand final to Central not that long ago. Apparently, losing multiple times against Port, Norwood and Sturt isn't enough for them. Losing grand finals is a local past time down there.
by therisingblues
Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Hey Brett, I noticed most of your posts are between 7 and 11pm?

There were 2 other posters, Bounce of the Ball and Michael, who don't post on here anymore that also predominantly posted at those times.
They were also Sturt supporters and also regularly finished a sentence in a unique style .

Even more interesting is that BOTB's last post was in March 2018 and Michael joined in April 2018, then Michael's last post was in June 2018 and you bobbed up in September 2018. Another quirky fact is that Michael had Sydney Swans as their team but never posted once in the AFL threads.

Too many coincidences I think.
This is reading like a Jerry Springer script.
Come on, get him on stage and then wait for the fat wench to come on and accuse him of running out on her to raise 6 kids all on her own.
Then he'll say"They all came from 6 different father's, none of which were me!"
Then she'll slap his face and we'll all chant "Jerry! Jerry!"
by therisingblues
Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

amber_fluid wrote:A couple of port players jumping at shadows today.

Can they please take the magpie guernsey off and just wear the Power guernsey.
Please!!

As someone who loves the very fabric of the SANFL, I think I can relate to your feelings about this.
by therisingblues
Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Glenelg colours above Port's on the West End chimney.
Never been seen before.
An historic photograph.
by therisingblues
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

When the AFL reserves were proposed the SANFL should have given Adelaide half of Port's recruiting zones, made them find a home base, set up SANFL reserves and U18's and become another club competing in the SANFL. That way a limit of 10, 12, 14, whatever you want AFL listed players in the league side and I'd think most SANFL fans would have had more of a chance of accepting that than the current set up.
If you remember correctly, the overwhelming majority of the state was vehemently opposed to joining the AFL
This was evident in the various polls run by the News and Advertiser at the time.
When the Crows eventually joined, part of their image was as some sort of shield protecting the SANFL from the continued pillaging by VFL clubs. In practice there was a moratorium on the recruitment of SA players, any SANFL players selected by the Crows was made available by their club of origin when not playing for the Crows, former Croweaters that'd previously left SA returned, the Crows set up a mini draft for players drafted from interstate to be selected by SANFL sides when not playing AFL, etc.
Back then, the fact that the Crows played the role of protector made them more palatable to a parochial SA football community. A direct entry of their reserves side in the SANFL would have been a disaster from the start, and the SANFL would be even further advanced down our current path of slow decay
EDIT: Whoops, I just read your post again Booney, and realised that I mis-read it the first time. My reply doesn't quite fit the post that I've quoted.
by therisingblues
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |