Search found 791 matches

Return

Re: I need to know....

I think one month was probably a bit harsh, but I don't have much sympathy for the guy. He was warned that he'd be banned, then he did the exact thing he was warned not to do...
by RB
Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:29 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: World Cup 2018

Funnily enough I consider 2010 to be a bigger wasted opportunity than 06'.

We only missed out on the round of 16 by goal difference after one bad performance against the Germans. Our R16 opponents would have been against the USA (very winnable game).

Also led 2-0 against Serbia and could have pushed forward but ended up only winning 2-1.

The quarter finals would have saw us matched against Urguagy who with our rivalry around that time would have made it a tense close battle.
If we'd beaten Italy in 2006 though (and we had our chances) we'd have played Ukraine in the quarter final, and probably ripped them a new one, as they weren't particularly impressive in that tournament.
by RB
Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: World Cup 2018

Yep
by RB
Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: TDK's International Test Cricket Update's

Apparently Virat Kholi gave Joe Root a bit of a send off when he ran him out. Might get a little spicy when Virat comes out to bat today. Should be good viewing.
Also blew him a kiss, sledged him, and put his finger to his lips......all behind Root's back as he walked off. What I would give to see Kohli batting on a bouncy WACA wicket against a couple of Lillee/Thomo types...
by RB
Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

The fact that in other sports they play on when the ball hits the post is irrelevant. In Aussie Rules, if the ball hits the goalpost, it's a behind. We can change any number of rules, possibly for the benefit of the game, but at what point does it become a different game?

I'm continually bemused by the constant calls for rule changes based on one incident. There were probably several thousand games of senior footy played this weekend. In over 99% of them this rule wasn't a problem. Occasionally the goal umpire will screw up, as it appears they did on the weekend. However even good umpires will occasionally make mistakes. We could scrap the holding the ball rule because the umpire will occasionally miss a player getting a toe on the ball. We could scrap the 15m rule because occasionally the umpire will ping a player for running 14.9m, etc. Or we could just accept that there is going to be the odd contentious call.

Of course if they're going to have a decision review system then they should probably have more camera angles in place, but even then they'd probably only pick up the howlers.

But it seems to me that after 150 years of footy, we should think long and hard before we change the rules. These decisions should not be made as a reaction to one incident.
by RB
Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Retro Round

Booney wrote:Image
Be nice if the Torrens guernsey they used was the one with the big eagle from the early 70s.
by RB
Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Finals

JK wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Not trolling

Has Franklin won a premiership? If so how many?

#genuinequestion

2008 with the Hawks mate
Also 2013.
by RB
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2018/19 Australian Summer of cricket

That's a fair few blokes on here whom I'd like to see represent Australia more than Neser...
by RB
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL 2019 and proposed rule changes

Booney wrote:Hocking said the recent three rules trials in VFL games had resulted in a 15 per cent increase in scoring and a 14 per cent decrease in tackles.

I'm not sure that 3 games is an adequate-enough sample size to decide a rule change is going to result in a 15% increase in scoring. Maybe try 30.
by RB
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final teams.

Eagles might've been robbed of the chance to score when North had 19 on the field though...
by RB
Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2018 Grand Final - Norwood v Woodville West Torrens

I think all the bendover clubs should be disqualified and South Adelaide and Centrals should play in the GF.
by RB
Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final

Also interesting to note is that if you take the view that Allmond was the extra player (presumably because he came off to even up the numbers), then he didn't touch the ball whilst he was on the ground for the start of the last quarter, and only laid one tackle in the first minute.
That's irrelevant. He enabled another North player to touch the ball, influence the game etc. At any rate, there were probably several North players who didn't touch the ball in that period and several who had a lot of the ball and one who even kicked a goal. Would it have made a difference if they'd taken the goalscorer off?

It doesn't matter which player came off; it matters that they had 19. Clearly there's a significant advantage in having an extra man.

As Godden said, they couldn't work out where North were getting a loose man from and actually changed their tactics as a result and sent a loose man back themselves.

Additionally, being a man short makes it significantly harder to score. Although the momentum was with North, the Eagles may have missed out on an opportunity to score themselves during that period.

I think the right decision was made. As the judge said, reversing the result would arguably be a little too savage. However, there's no denying that North received a significant advantage for those four minutes.
by RB
Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Preliminary Final

Josh Carr is on 5AA now speaking about it

Speaks pretty well, hadn’t heard him before

He took no responsibility for the 19th man though.
Ultimately he's the coach and responsible for his players.

He could of at least made some sort of an apology to the Eagles.

Why should he apologise? An acknowledgment that North had an extra man for 4 minutes and that this was ultimately his mistake probably wouldn't go astray.
by RB
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Mick Godden joins Crows Coaching Staff

That means that four out of WWT's six coaches have now left the club to coach in the AFL.
by RB
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

whufc wrote:When did I travel to a parallel universe and Siddle was back in the squad.

Surely we are not scraping the barrel that badly.

At least they're not playing Neser.
by RB
Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Where was the MORNING watchman to protect S Marsh ?? [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

Sure thats the end of his Test career after yet another failure ? I said that in 2011, then in 2014, then in 2015, then a couple of times in 2016, then earlier this year in South Africa...

I'll probably keep saying it again a few times, such is the selectors' love for the golden child.
by RB
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Apparently Shaun Marsh is a 'gun' and has a 'good record' according to Mark Waugh. I presume he's referring to Perth grade cricket.

He also said that he just needs to 'find where his off stump is'... He's 35 and has been playing FC cricket since 2001. I think he's had enough time...
by RB
Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2018-19

Armchair expert wrote:Getting out to Trent Copeland should be a droppable offense
I thought he played quite well at test level when he got the chance. I think he's been unlucky with injuries and probably being behind a number of international players in the NSW pecking order. His FC record speaks for itself.
by RB
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

PatowalongaPirate wrote:The Peter Siddle selection is one of the most baffling decisions in recent memory.

I was surprised he was picked for the squad, but when the other two seam bowlers are Neser and Doggett, picking Siddle makes perfect sense.
by RB
Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Port Adelaide 2019

It's hard to be humble when you're prefect in every way. [emoji6]
by RB
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:10 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I'm still not sure why Lyon doesn't get more of a run in the ODIs. Zampa has done OK but you can't take 300 test wickets and not also be a decent ODI bowler.
by RB
Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2018-19

The MCG match would have been over in ten sessions if they hadn't had 99999 millimetres of rain today. A real improvement given all Shield matches plus the test last year were drawn.
by RB
Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rule Changes 2019

Have you considered leaving the WWTFC $19 in your Will, Wedgie?
by RB
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Interesting debate on SEN this morning in regards to the test squad. In the last SS game before the test starts apparently Finch will bat 5 for the Vics despite possibly opening in the test a few days later.
Some were saying the Australian coaching staff should demand Finch opens in the Shield game and that Australia comes first whilst others argued that the Vics are there to win the SS and should bat Finch wherever they want.
Where do most of you guys stand?
I’m firmly in the Australia comes first party and Finch has to open in the SS
I'm in the opposite camp and think Victoria should bat him wherever they think he's most likely to help them win the match. He's representing the VCA in a first class match. As important as Australia winning test matches is, there is an even higher principle here IMO.

Having said that, I doubt in this case it'd stuff Victoria up too much if he opens and everyone else moves down.
by RB
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:54 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: INS and OUTS for 2019

[quote="PatowalongaPirate"]I reckon Matt is only 20 years old. Handy footballer.

Yes. My bad. In fact Jydon is 23 Matt 20 and Jaxon 19. Jydon and Matt both likely to make an impact from the get go, Jydon as a lead up mid size forward and Matt as on baller/defender.
Matt is a very good player and hopefully has recovered from his horrific injury. Unless Jydon has improved markedly I think he may struggle over here

Some video of Jydon in action a few years back:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2013-07-17/draft-prospect-jydon-neagle He was also playing as the 23rd man for our VFL side[/quote]
Sounds like he'd fit in well at North Adelaide!
by RB
Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

He averages 50 + with the bat this season
He averages about 30 with the ball this season
He was in the squad that played Pakistan last series

His batting this Sheffield Shield season
57*
76*

Good numbers with the bat
One might ask, yeah but he does not convert his starts
But this Queensland player bats mainly at 8

Is he close to national selection ... No
by RB
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

In their last 10 innings both Hazelwood and Lyon have more runs than Marsh

But he's looked really good making those 2'and 3's, he's just unlucky. And I have a 10 foot cock. Neither are true. Burn the fu**&ng photos that family have of people in power.
I don’t rate him as test player but the facts are he dominates SS and makes that many runs that selectors have to pick him.
It’s about time guys in the SS start making runs and putting pressure on him but as we have seen again today no one has really stepped up in the SS again

I would happily stand corrected but I reckon he averages under 40 after over 10 years of Sheffield Shield cricket. That is far from dominating. Draw a line through the cu*** name and never pick him again. This is a point I've made before. He's never dominated at Shield level. Average is actually a touch over 40, but hardly suggestive of being anything more than a moderately talented state player.

13 Shield centuries in 176 innings. 13! From 19 seasons! Yes, he makes runs at the right time, but no-one else with a record even remotely close to Marsh has been given so many chances (after repeated and inevitable failures in the baggy green).
by RB
Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

A good opportunity for our batsman to occupy the crease for a long time and build an innings.

God knows we need the practice.
by RB
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

End the Finch madness now!!!

And the Mitch Marsh one as well!
Both should never play again for Australia at Test level.

Correct.... but there is no one else. Nothing. Zilch. Zippo. And thats our perennial problem. As it is Head and Harris are playing ahead of their time. Only Ussie is a Test batsman of note. And he isnt in great nick. There are still better all-rounder options than Mitch Marsh, like Maxwell or Stoinis.

There is simply no justification for picking Mitch. He has neither the talent nor the form nor the runs/wickets on the board nor the potential, given his age.
by RB
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Heck, I'd even prefer Faulkner to Marsh. His batting is just as good.
by RB
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I just think umpires should be conservative with LBW calls. There's a strong chance that was going down leg, so not out.
by RB
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:11 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

daysofourlives wrote:S Marsh, survives only because i cant think of anyone else

I feel like that's a poor reason for him surviving.

Better that he's just put out of his misery. Behind the shed, right between the eyes.
by RB
Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

bulldogs wrote:What batsman currently playing shield cricket averages over 40 in his career

Pretty sure Kurt Patterson fits this description.
by RB
Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Pretty sure the crowd on Day 1 was 73k or something like that. And pretty ordinary after Day 1 for a large city.

Never said they were going to lose it, my point was it's ridiculous that the MCG pitch could earn the same rating as the Perth one.
by RB
Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Feel a bit sorry for Finch. He's probably not a test batsman but he never really got a chance, being thrown in as an opener.

If his name was Aaron Marsh he'd have gotten another 25 tests.
by RB
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shaun Marsh has scored himself another 20 tests with that catch.
by RB
Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:13 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

We don’t beat this Indian team even if the selectors got it all right and picked our best 11 available I'm not so sure about that. We won in Perth and were pretty close in Adelaide.

The Indians have had plenty of passengers fly under the radar this tour. With our best team they're beatable in Australia, IMO. In India we would have no chance though.

This had been one of those series where whoever wins the toss goes on to win.
by RB
Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:23 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

robranisgod wrote:One of the changes that could be made to ensure we see more cricket is to bring back 8 ball overs.

This, this and this.
by RB
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:19 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah I think as a nation we have over reacted with Warner & Smith.. I don't like Warner never have, and would be happy if he never played again, but fairs fair here they've done the (excessive) time for their crimes.. Look at all these other nations that ball tamper or cheat or are corrupt - no one even seems to bat an eyelid lol.
I'm glad that our country has taken a much stronger stance than others. The fact that Atherton, Faf (twice) etc. got away with it shouldn't be a factor in determining their sanctions. This sends a message that peoole wearing the baggy green are expected to play by the rules. If the Saffas are happy with their captain doing the same thing, then that's up to them (although hopefully the ICC will get tougher on this).

But I agree that, particularly with Smith, who AFAIK wasn't involved himself and was only punished for not doing more to stop it, the bans were a tad harsh. I think they should have at least been able to play in the second half of the Shield season, i.e. maybe suspended the last 3 months of the ban in regards to domestic cricket.

One thing I am sick to death of is hearing about how harsh the ban is on Bancroft, because he's just a kid, the new player in the team, etc. The reality is he's a 25 y.o. professional who should know better and should be able to make his own decisions. He is incredibly lucky he wasn't given at least as much as Smith.
by RB
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Essendon legend Kevin Sheedy also questioned Wines' choice of off-field activities, drawing an analogy that it was unlikely someone like Roger Federer would be water skiing months before an Australian Open.
Sheedy's an idiot.

The biggest space between grand slam tournaments is between the US and Australian Opens. Not sure whether Federer water-skis, but if he does, you can bet it would be in the months before the Australian Open.
by RB
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

The reality is only Trav Head has fully capitalised on his chances this summer. Uzzie (like Starc) will retain his spot in the XI along with Warner and Smith. So Labuschagne Harris Burns S Marsh Renshaw and Handscomb will be fighting for the other two spots. Renshaw probably ranked 6th in that list but as yet none deserve a regular gig.
Will P cannot possibly be selected whilst he is struggling with expectations. He would clearly be even more vulnerable on an overseas jaunt.
Patterson is a lock for mine.
by RB
Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shaun Marsh can be considered a tad unlucky
Ahahahahahaha
He actually has a pretty good point - Khawaja was prob underperforming just as much, and if they'd given Marsh a crack at SL i'm sure he would've cashed in like others on the cusp.. and then he would've locked away his Ashes spot. I got his point, but Shaun Marsh can never, ever be considered unlucky.
by RB
Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

It is legal for ambulances that turn on their lights and sirens to get past medium/heavy traffic? Today on the way home from work there was an ambulance go past me and a large group of cars as we got into the left lane to let it past only for it to turn off its lights and sirens as it finished getting past the traffic.
I assume it's just because there's no real need to use them when the ambulance has passed the traffic. I.e. they're on their way to an emergency or a hospital, they put the lights and sirens on to get through the traffic, and once they're on more open road they put them off as they're no longer necessary. Nothing untoward I would've thought.
by RB
Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:11 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Under pressure.......

whufc wrote:If your exact role at work was split in half tomorrow and someone was hired to complete half of your role would you feel you haven't been demoted.

Walker's 'exact role' is player - that hasn't been split in half. The captaincy is only a component of that.
by RB
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

amber_fluid wrote:The Magpies weren’t established in 1997.
They were relocated to Ethelton instead.

Admin changed as did staff and players

Correct me if I'm wrong but I would've thought the Magpies '97 squad had more Magpies '96 squad members than the Power '97 squad did?
by RB
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 3 - #putyourcoxout

whufc wrote:The world is always balanced when the corporation is bang average
Yep. I'm particularly looking forward to rocking up at work tomorrow.
by RB
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: A-League 2018-19

What. A. Game.

There wouldn't be many groups of players who could back up and produce that after playing 120 minutes last week. Especially after Perth went up 3-2 which would generally kill the game.

You shouldn't lose after going ahead in a shootout, and the pens were ordinary. Isaias has the possible excuse of playing 240 minutes in five days; the other three who missed however...

Regardless of one's thoughts on Kurz's tactical ability and style, no-one can fault his passion, and I challenge anyone to achieve what he has with our scarce resources over the past two years. The new coach has massive shoes to fill...

Won't see a final like that for a long, long, time...
by RB
Sat May 11, 2019 1:24 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you are looking forward to

Grenville wrote:Watching the ABC coverage tomorrow night of the election with the guru Antony Green. Legend.
x2.

I believe Antony Green already knows the result.

Of the 2022 federal election.
by RB
Fri May 17, 2019 10:13 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ODI World Cup 2019

Is there any reason why you abreviate England as EG rather than the more common ENG, Mal?
by RB
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:38 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: ODI World Cup 2019

I'll see myself out...
by RB
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |