Search found more than 7287 matches

Return

Re: Things that make you sad.

I was watching an Australian crime show the other day and they said something like 95% of murders in Australia, the victim knew the murderer.
Surely that can’t be right? Seems way too high

I must admit 95% feels right.
I mean I've never had the urge to kill someone I don't know, but there have been plenty of times, especially at work, where I've sat there thinking about all the different ways I could knock certain people off.

It's quite close but quite different than trying to knock up a co worker.
by Booney
Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:57 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

Brodlach wrote:What’s happened to Pirate?

Works 4 weeks a year and holidays 48.
by Booney
Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:30 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: PAFC 2024

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:Bars are back.

I thought you already had the home showdown wearing the pylons - nothing new?

More so I don't think it's going to be an ongoing issue. We'll wear it in home Showdowns going forward.
by Booney
Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Did someone say no SANFL or AFL debt?
by Booney
Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

RustyCage wrote:The club has now paid off every cent owed to the SANFL and the AFL

And halved little UKs limited material.
by Booney
Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

430am on Grange jetty and I'm about to pump some tunes and have a swim before some frothies and fresh cold crabs*. Summer Sundays.
by Booney
Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:21 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: NFL 2023-24

They've nailed self indulgent wank over there, haven't they?
by Booney
Mon Feb 12, 2024 12:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL 2024 Ladder predictions

I think my Hawks improve this season, into the top part of the bottom 8 teams.

Now who's not taking it seriously?

https://media4.giphy.com/media/cck0mgTdJUSLcxDu7y/giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952xqu6f65h63cmhsirvdvppbpv6y7l4gmr7opvoonq&ep=v1_internal_gif_by_id&rid=giphy.gif&ct=s

Sydney
Collingwood
Brisbane
Hawthorn
GWS
Adelaide
Port
Gold Coast

Carlton
St Kilda
Essendon
Fremantle
Melbourne
Geelong
Bulldogs
Richmond
North
West Coast
by Booney
Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Horse Racing Tips & Discussion

Had a tour yesterday of Finniss Lodge, the home of Wayne Francis and Glen Kents operation and i must say it is absolutely unbelievable. It was so apparent the genuine focus and care for the horses wellbeing and the commitment to the horse always comes first (pardon the pun) was unbelievable.

You can actually see on the website a fly over of the property, but that simply doesn't do it justice, amazing venue.

Sooo much so, i left with another 20% of a horse :lol:
Looks a likely type, 2 YO filly by Sire Headwater, big strong horse, Yet to be named.

Stable has one running Saturday over 1350m that they are very confident on.

Woolshed Worker
by Booney
Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:33 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Craft, in real craft beer sense, is being stretched by brands like Big Shed, hard pressed to call themselves craft beer anymore.

What does craft mean?
I initially thought it was small boutique brewers brewing multiple types of beer flavours.
I associated craft with the size of the beer company more so.

Craft in it's true sense is independently owned brewing with traditional methods.

Someone like Big Shed with a canning line and thousands of litres of weekly production would be pushing the label craft brewery.

Someone like Beer No Evil, Shapeshifter, Shifty Lizard, they are what I'd see as craft brewers.
by Booney
Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Just saying "craft beer is shite" is like saying "all wine is shite", you just haven't found the right one.
by Booney
Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

https://kilburnbrewingco.com.au/

You can go and brew it or ask Axl to brew the beer for you, then you can keg it or go and bottle it. 50lt = 6 cartons.

Your first batch of 144 bottles costs $50 on top, from there you take them back and sterilize them before re-bottling.

I've been doing it once a month with a mate for over 8 years. 3 cartons each and we bottle and cap in about an hour on a Saturday morning.

Over 100 beers to choose from, we've tried probably 50 or more.

Go in and check it out one day.
by Booney
Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Craft, in real craft beer sense, is being stretched by brands like Big Shed, hard pressed to call themselves craft beer anymore.
by Booney
Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:54 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Black listed companies

Washing machine gave up last month

As we have done for 30+ years, we bought a Fisher & Paykel as we do with most whitegoods (despite my anti All Blacks stance)
Last washing machine lasted 20 years.

What a pile of shite. Had to get the Good Guys technician out within a fortnight
F&P now a chinese company and this thing was manuafactured there
Technician said he spends 80% of his time on F&P products - "dont buy them"

Mrs Jimmy is now going medieval on Good Guys and F&P.
I've been there - I do pity them. Best to cut your losses and give her money back: you wont win.

No more Fisher & Paykel

I could have told you that ;)
Look, you won't find an Australian made Washing Machine I can tell you that from any supplier.
Your choice is pay premium for European made (western Europe, not eastern Europe...) or pay a reasonable price for a good brand that still design and manage the Quality in Australia but manufacture in a low cost country.

What would you know? 8)
by Booney
Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Yeah the missus swears by Samsung for everything ever since she got a TV fixed that was about 3 years out of warranty .
Currently have TV, Washing Machine, Fridge and a tablet.

I've always been shitty with them ever since my only Samsung TV died in the arse 1 week after the warranty ran out and I didn't even consider contacting them and threw it away . #-o

If you ring and mention "Australian consumer law" you will get them fixed outside of warranty within reason.

Mrs Jimmy's favourite 3 words at the moment

Extended warranties with house hold appliances (Most other things infact) aren’t worth the paper they are written on. If you know Australian Consumer Law enough they will fix the faults within that time frame without the need to fork out extra - The good guys are finding this out the hard way at the moment with a massive law suit.

FWIW Electrolux made products more often than not are pretty reliable and unlike most other manufacturers their ovens and rangehoods are still made in Australia (Adelaide infact). Only up until 3-4 years ago their fridges were made in Orange however there are serious discussions about bringing them back as the profits aren’t as big as they anticipated.

Seen some of the jokers that work there?
by Booney
Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Daily Golf - Where you are playing and how you go

Congratulations to a mate of mine for winning up at Barmera last weekend having 35, 30 and 36 points.
by Booney
Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:14 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: North Melbourne

North Melbourne’s Tarryn Thomas has received an 18-week suspension from the AFL.

Unlucky, did nothing wrong.
by Booney
Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Busy, eventful weekend.

Ports trial Friday night, big walk and gym session Saturday morning, pub crawl through the Port with mates Saturday night, around to some friends for a swim and nibbles yesterday afternoon and back at the gym at 5 this morning for an hour. Packed a bit in.
by Booney
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Shouldn't we be focused on his actions? Domestic violence is a blight on our society yet we're here worrying about him not playing football.
by Booney
Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Soooooo, how's this weather?

Armchair expert wrote:9:30pm and its still 30 degrees

yuck!

Did you predict it to be 12°?
by Booney
Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:07 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Does Ports new club rooms not hold 550 people?

Think you can get 100-150 upstairs at the Precinct that's been open for a while now & then still the downstairs area. But the new facility that has just been opened isn't for the public, it's the players & coaches training facility.

Nor does it have a commercial kitchen.

The Precinct can host 300 for a seated event.

Doc, consider the barrel scraped.
by Booney
Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: WEIGHT LOSS + the challenge

-2.5 from Jan 1.

Back into the gym last week Monday, Wednesday and Friday morning. Only 40 minutes sessions, all weight work. Push, pull, legs/core.

Got in there this morning despite a cricket catch up yesterday, was a bit tougher this morning but feel good for it now.

-4.5 from Jan 1. Slow burn.

Trying to cut out the mid morning snack which is normally an apple or muesli bar but doing my best to make the morning Man Shake last until noon or thereabouts. Having a black coffee instead. Water intake is around 2lt per day.

Haven't cut out the beers at all, I love them too much.

Gym has been Mon,Wed, Fri for 3 weeks straight, upping the weights now on all exercise and have added in some lunges and squats to the routine. 5 push and 5 pull exercises with 5 sets of 12 each morning.
by Booney
Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

An opportunity to discuss what it means to be a good person, what makes a good man, I think this has nothing to do with football and I cringe every time I hear his wasted talent discussed.
by Booney
Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:16 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Footy Chick wrote:
Booney wrote:Mrs Boon fell for the trap of nice packaging and marketing.

Proper mens wooden and wire trap acquired and we're 1-0 nil up after one night.

Whats wrong with your 4 legged mouse trap - not earning his keep? :lol:

Hopefully updating his resume looking for a new job.
by Booney
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Pearl Jam tickets secured.

Melbourne first show sold out in minutes, a Monday show announced immediately.
by Booney
Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL 2024

This might be on of the most brilliant pieces I've ever read. Simply brilliant, what a young man.

---------------------------------------

Last week, I was informed by my neurosurgeon that I would be forced to medically retire from the AFL effective immediately. Scans taken 2 weeks after the qualifying final against Collingwood compared to scans taken last week revealed further deterioration of my brain as a direct result of the incident I was involved in that September evening. This means that medically, I can no longer continue to play contact sports of any kind to protect my long-term health.

I am absolutely shattered and did not see this reality coming to pass. The months following that incident have involved a painstakingly slow, methodical, and conservative process. I engaged the services of a neurosurgeon, neuro-physiotherapist, and neuropsychologist to assess my brain health and monitor my progress. The exceptional care provided by the medical team at MFC during the last 5 months had left me feeling very optimistic about my future in the game.

Alongside that positivity, however, was a constant concern for doing what was best for the health of my brain long-term. At each stage of my recovery that was the context through which I was receiving advice: my health before AFL. It is within this context that I had organised another full set of scans to be completed before I returned to play an AFL game against opposition. I wanted to be sure before leaving the relative safety of MFC training simulations that my brain was still in a fit state to endure contact from opposition, and it was after these latest scans that I was given the bad news. There has been too much damage to continue. The risk is now too great.

Whilst this medical retirement is devastating, I appreciate the severity of the situation as well as anyone. I respect the verdict of the medical professionals and agree with their desire to put the health of my brain before the future of my AFL career.

As I have reflected on everything over the past few days, I have come to feel incredibly grateful for several things that I would like to acknowledge.

I am grateful for the advancements in medicine, which hopefully have saved me from a future of incredibly difficult brain-related ailments that many of the past players’ cohort, my new peers, have endured and continue to endure. The issue of concussion is incredibly important for our game and industry to address over the coming years. We have made great strides in this space, but there is more that needs to be done to safeguard the brains of players not only in the AFL ranks, but from grassroots all the way up. I believe the future of our game will be strongly impacted by how we deal with this element of player safety as more information comes to light. I hope the AFL will be proactive in the future when it comes to the safety of its players as opposed to reactive, so we can continue to enjoy this amazing game and protect the brains of the players. They must be sacrosanct.

I am grateful for the support I have received as an AFL player, and count myself incredibly lucky for the help I received from various medical professionals, my management, the Melbourne Football Club, and the AFL in dealing with the fallout from this news.

I am overwhelmingly grateful for my family and friends. Telling my fiancé, parents, brothers, extended family, close friends, and my teammates has been very difficult. I see how upset it makes them, but more obvious is the love, care, and pride they have for and in me. I love them all so much. In particular, seeing my fiancé Danielle’s strength after her late father Danny’s well-documented ordeal with CTE amazes me, and I would not have dealt with my own trials and tribulations as well without her support, and certainly the support of everyone in my life.

I am grateful for the career I have had and grateful for the game of AFL. I played 167 games and won an AFL grand final. There are rarely fairytale endings in life, and in football less so. Many would be happy with a single game, yet I have achieved so many of the dreams I had as a young boy. Kicking a footy around in the backyard with my brothers pretending we were on the MCG are some of my earliest memories, and I was able to live those childhood fantasies. I struggle to find the words to describe how happy that makes me. Whilst it came to an abrupt end and I feel devastated at the moment, I also can't help but feel lucky, and I know as time passes, I will look back on the good times with immense pride and happiness.

I think mostly I am grateful for the people I met along the journey. I remember vividly Nathan Jones picking me up on my first day, and I sit here 9 seasons and 10 pre-seasons later with a wealth of amazing people met and memories made. The Melbourne Football Club drafted me, and I am so proud to be counted as a one-club player. I have never felt a stronger sense of belonging in my entire life than I did walking into the club every day. I never took that feeling for granted and will miss it so much. I am grateful for the opportunity they gave me, and I can say truthfully that I tried my hardest to pay the club back for believing in me.

I felt immediately embraced by the fans, another aspect of my career I am grateful for. From the Demon Army, to our Coterie group, to fans I encountered on the streets, I only ever felt overwhelming positivity, passion, and support. One of the most profound results of winning the 2021 premiership I experienced was how much that game impacted the lives of our fans in the most positive way possible. I love hearing about the stories our fans have of watching the game, and I love seeing how much joy reliving that memory gives them. Ultimately, AFL is only a game, but the influence it can have on so many people will never be lost on me, and I feel incredibly privileged to be able to affect so many people in such a positive way. I will cherish this feeling for the rest of my life.

I am grateful for the coaches and staff who have been involved along my journey. Paul Roos gave me my first game and Simon Goodwin is my premiership coach, but there are hundreds of assistant coaches, strength and conditioning staff, footy admin and countless volunteers who I have encountered along the way who all had a positive and profound influence on me. I will be forever indebted for their contributions to my club and my career.

Finally to my teammates. I love you all more than I can describe, or you could possibly know. You are the reason I loved coming into the club, and you are going to leave a massive hole in my heart. I am going to miss the little things the most: the end of a hard session, banter about the latest golf score, the 10 minutes we all shared straight after a win, and the hundreds of moments of interaction we shared daily that always put a smile on my face. Whilst I know it won’t quite be the same, I count you as some of my most cherished friends and am looking forward to watching you over the coming years and enjoying our friendship for the rest of our lives. I hope you enjoyed my company as much as I enjoyed all of yours, and I want you to know that being the best teammate was all I ever wanted to be.

I know the coming days will be sad and upsetting for me (I am crying as I am writing this) and many others. I know that it's important to acknowledge that this is tough, but I also think that perspective is important. This decision that has been made for me is to protect my long-term health. That is a good thing. I hope to live a long and full life. I have many passions that I look forward to pursuing, and amongst the sadness and loss, there are feelings of excitement about the possibilities the future holds for me. Change is inevitable, and I believe that as this door has been shut for me, so many more will open in the future. That provides light at the end of this tunnel I find myself in, and it would be remiss of me to fail to acknowledge that hundreds of millions of people around the world are currently doing it tougher than I am. It is hard for me to stay upset for long.

So, I will regroup and move on to the next phase of my life. To name the things I will miss would take too long, so I think it is better to name the short list of things I won’t miss. It fills me with unbridled joy that never again will I have to: Run a time trial, weigh in, miss a game of golf for injury, have my skinfolds measured, or spend any time whatsoever in an ice bath. Good riddance.

And so, concludes my career. I have no regrets and a lot of love.

My heart will ALWAYS beat true for the red and the blue.

Go Dees.
by Booney
Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:34 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

$6 440ml Pale cans, that didn't disappoint!
by Booney
Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2023/2024

I have nothing against Nielsen himself, more what he represents.

On one level for too long we've been an under performing boys club that hasn't been willing to make tough decisions.

On another level we've been incredibly poor at developing elite talent, who ever was in charge of that role needed to be move on.

Hanging our hat on 3 BBL titles.... :YMSICK:
by Booney
Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: wubsy's Sydney thread

Bargain at $85.

by Booney
Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:04 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: What The F***

Monday night, 8:29pm, Australia Post ring the bell with a parcel… Let me guess, was he of Indian descent?

To what end? Being on parcel rate the Indian drivers as a rule will take out more work than they can handle. They aren’t meant to deliver after 7pm or sundown in busy periods so should be setting up their loads accordingly but they tend to take out too much and can’t complete it in time. If you continually return undelivered items to depot you will get sanctioned so many just keep delivering

Busting their arse making a quid, how dare they.

We all piss and moan about deliveries taking too long then when they pop in after dinner we crack the sads.

F*ck we're precious. :lol:
by Booney
Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:26 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian International Summer 2023/24

Did they just paint some lines on the oval?
by Booney
Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Australian Domestic Season 2023/2024

Harry deserves a contract, he’ll get one elsewhere if the SACAs don’t give him one.

Agreed, much like his Dad he's an accomplished keeper and handy bat.

Tim - 101 matches FC matches, 284 catches (just under 3 per game) average 26 with the bat.

Harry - 44 matches FC matches, 124 catches (just under 3 per game) averages 28 with the bat.
by Booney
Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2024

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1763414319470182400/NXtWTUTj?format=jpg&name=small

As announced to our Members a few weeks ago, Round 1 of the SANFL season will be WWTFC Heritage Round, when all our teams on the day will honour both Woodville and West Torrens by wearing a reversible guernsey.

So to commemorate the occasion, we’re releasing Retro T-Shirts for our fans…
West Torrens, featuring the famous flying Eagle logo, and Woodville, featuring the memorable Peckers logo.

However, this will be a ONE OFF, pre-purchase offer – never to be repeated!!!

Pre-purchase now, strictly ending March 20 – no extensions

*Note – orders will be due for delivery at the end of March.

------------------------------------------

So, to celebrate being one their splitting up the supporters?
by Booney
Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:08 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

SA Footy 2024 AFL tipping

footytips.com.au

Comp - SA FOOTY 2024
Password - SAFOOTY24

3 x jokers = double points
No tips = away teams
All correct = 1 bonus point

$25 entry to be paid to winners at end of minor round ( no finals )

Winner 70%
Second 30%
by Booney
Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:49 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Celebrity Casualties

Shane Warne and Rod Marsh, 2 years today. #RIP
by Booney
Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Hinkley Factor

Port have been poor in finals under Hinkley.

Much less typing.
by Booney
Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SA Footy 2024 AFL tipping

No need to pay up front, when the winners are decided I ask that people EFT them the money direct.

Nice and easy that way. We only ask that if you enter you agree to pay up at the seasons end.

Welcome aboard!
by Booney
Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

If you leave the ground and bump after the ball has left the area how can it be graded as anything but intentional?

There are two classifications, careless and intentional, it can't be careless so it must be intentional.
by Booney
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2024

Spargo wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Westies bringing back the red shorts

Good on them, we better not bring back those gold ones…

The Kylie Minogue ones?
by Booney
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:46 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

The Sam Kerr story.

It's an interesting one.
From the comments on social media about this, it seems racism only is racism against minorities or a suppressed race, whereas racism is not racism against the majority or perceived entitle race.

One thing is for sure, she is not the media darling anymore and never will be again.

Her comments, by some, are being celebrated.

Shoe on other foot and a copper is looking for another job, is probably moving house and his life would be ruined.

Laugh? I sure am.
by Booney
Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

7 is right. It's a shocking action that deserves a significant penalty.
by Booney
Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:Bit nerdy, bit middle age crisis, but finally getting a pair of sneakers I once had ( back in the day ) and have been wanting for a long time at a reasonable price.

Which model?

Jordan 4 Bred reimagined, dropped this week.
by Booney
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Bit nerdy, bit middle age crisis, but finally getting a pair of sneakers I once had ( back in the day ) and have been wanting for a long time at a reasonable price.

Which model?

Jordan 4 Bred reimagined, dropped this week.

Nice! And you got them on a reasonable price?

Yep, better than the $700+ that the original / last release were going for!
by Booney
Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Vale David Granger

https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/attachments/granger-jpg.525356/

Controversial. Cult hero. Complex. David Granger, the footballer and the man, was all this.

Often misunderstood but rarely under-appreciated as a powerful footballer, Granger is one of the most-remembered names from the Port Adelaide premiership teams of the late 1970s and early 1980s.

In fact, the popular corruption of his name to “Grave Danger” says so much of a man who stiffened the backs of opponents and fans as soon as he stepped over that white line of football fields in the SANFL and VFL.

His name is forever on the No.18 locker at Alberton, in recognition of his 103 senior games with Port Adelaide from 1975-1982.

The image of that No.18 on the back of a man who could have modelled for Greek mythological statues will never fade nor fall from the memory of thousands of Port Adelaide fans who admired Granger as the epitome of tough, uncompromising football, and a team-first mentality, regardless of the personal sacrifice that came with looking after his mates, on and off the field.

Granger’s premiership captain from the 1981 SANFL flag (his second league title), Brian Cunningham remembers a highly talented footballer who has had his skilful mastery of the game overshadowed by controversy.

“David was playing the toughest position – and holding up that role with his strength and his skill,” said Cunningham of the Victorian recruit who arrived at Alberton during the mid-1970s from VFL club St Kilda, where he had not advanced from trial games.

“He could reach high and take a powerful pack mark. He had a beautiful, long kick.

“David played a crucial role in our premiership success in 1977 and 1981, establishing a formidable key forwards partnership with Tim Evans.

“He was a focal point for our gameplan and if he didn’t mark the ball he would always bring the ball to ground and provide opportunities for others to benefit.”

But such memories are clouded by off- and on-field storylines that not only led the sports pages but also dominated the front pages of newspapers.

“David was misunderstood by others outside the club due to issues sometimes beyond his control. Sadly, we never saw the best of David consistently on the field,” Cunningham said.

“I will remember him as an enormously talented player and someone who contributed significantly in a key role for our premiership success.”

Born in country Victoria, with a difficult upbringing tainted with abuse and manipulation that tormented him in adult life, Granger made his SANFL league debut in 1975 and immediately left an impression.

He was tall (6’2″ in the old measure, or 188cm), he was fearless in any contest; he was strong; he had a vice-like grip in a marking contest and his kick was long and accurate. These were perfect attributes for a man playing that demanding role of centre half-forward in an era of quick, sweeping plays to the goalfront when key forwards were minded by mean-spirited, close-checking defenders.

From his debut in 1975, Granger was part of Port Adelaide’s failed group in the 1976 SANFL grand final against Sturt at Football Park. His “enforcer” image was born during this finals series. His contact with Sturt speedster Michael Graham on the outer side of Football Park early in the game highlighted Granger’s intolerance of any attack on a Port Adelaide team-mate. He was an “eye-for-an-eye” combatant.

This theme became as epic as any image Russell Crowe could have developed for a Roman gladiator. By the 1980s, Granger became the centrepiece of the brutal and deep-seated rivalry between Port Adelaide and Glenelg.

Granger never forgave Glenelg for its off-the-ball hits on rover Cunningham and full forward Tim Evans in tumultuous finals between the teams during the mid-1970s.

The ultimate flash points were from the 1981 SANFL grand final – after which Granger became the first SANFL player suspended on video evidence for his hit on Glenelg veteran Neville Caldwell – and the career-ending 1982 preliminary final that involved brutal moments with Glenelg trio Stephen Barratt, Graham Cornes and Peter Maynard.

Granger was suspended for eight matches at the SANFL tribunal and never played league football again, a finish that filled him with bitterness and a sense of betrayal.

He finished his playing career in the Spencer Gulf league at Port Pirie with Solomontown. It is far from surprising that his first game in the country league drew a record crowd.

Granger’s impressive start in SANFL football did draw the attention of St Kilda who recalled him to the VFL in 1979. He played three senior games – all losses to Carlton, Fitzroy and Melbourne from rounds 8-10. He kicked just one goal – in that last game against Melbourne.

Granger had two lasting crusades from his return to the VFL. First, he chased for years the contract payments not made by the St Kilda Football Club from an era when many VFL clubs were financially troubled and not meeting the payroll. He took his campaign as far as the doorstep of noted St Kilda fan, trucking magnate Lindsay Fox.

Granger’s other strongly devoted cause was the players’ union, the original VFL Players’ Association – another group he felt betrayed him. Granger’s commitment to the players’ fight for fair pay and conditions, during an era when cricket players won their battle with the support of television tycoon Kerry Packer, was symbolised by his membership payments to the VFLPA.

“I paid my dues TWICE,” Granger said.

Granger’s post-football life was loaded with as much controversy as his playing career, with constant headlines and arrests for possession of cannabis which he used to ease the pain of his physical injuries and his mental demons.

Of all the photographic images from his football career – many of which Granger collected with as much passion as he had for nurturing the perfect couch grass lawn at his Woodville home – there is one he significantly treasured.

It was, as should be expected, from a Port Adelaide-Glenelg contest. He had just beaten Glenelg superhero Peter Carey, who is seen trudging away with lowered shoulders while Granger points at him while making a mocking laugh.

Granger’s life, from his childhood to his death with cancer, was complex, complicated and controversial. His character, however, was simple – it was based on supporting your mate, playing hard football and winning. It is as true as Port Adelaide.

Granger was as Port Adelaide – loved or loathed. There was no middle ground. ( I love this - Boon )

At Alberton, many will worship the memory of a player who made his team-mates “walk taller” knowing he had their backs and his fans admire the strength, courage and beauty of his football.

So much of David Granger is untold and misunderstood. But never under-estimated is how, in the right circumstances, he could play the most powerful games in the most difficult role on the football field.

https://www.indaily.com.au/sport/2024/03/08/sa-footballs-complex-cult-figure-david-granger-dies
by Booney
Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Drunk midnight swims.

BBQ Shapes.

Both together.
by Booney
Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:27 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Sydney Sweeney at the Oscars.
by Booney
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:39 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Soooooo, how's this weather?

I found the weather over the weekend very motivating. I managed to get a heap of things done, for instance I emptied my beer fridge twice!
by Booney
Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:37 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |